main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ The Small Screen - TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    So, to get the ball rolling ... what are everyone's favourite TV shows? What do you watch regularly on TV? Are TV shows getting worse or better these days?

I've got a few all time fav shows.

Knight Rider - obviously. I've loved this ever since I was old enough to actually remember TV. Still dream of owning a car like Kitt.
    Due South - the one about the Canadian mountie in Chicago. I've got quite a lot of episodes on tape. I liked this because of the quirky humor and oddball partnership.
    Futurama - I actually preferred this to the Simpsons, although it only lasted four seasons.
    Father Ted - I've got most of that on tape. It was a real cult classic in the 90s.

2. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    SPOUNGE BOB 0WNZ JUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its 1337

3. Mr_Deflok

Mr_Deflok Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2003
    I don't watch much TV, kind of abandoned it after Mulder went off X-Files.

The Simpsons lost it's magical touch too.

24 is my highest rated TV show though, such a ride!

I have to sadly confess that i quite enjoy Smallville but despise teen shows.

Knight Rider rocks, definately, I used to have this awesome toy KITT which had the strobing light and everything, dunno what happened to it though.

4. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Those toys are worth quite a bit these days :)
    One of the Knight Rider DVDs is finally getting released here next month ... can't wait. It's not a season pack though, just a 'best of' thing.

I'll admit to watching the occasional Spongebob. One of my friends is a big fan though ... she has a big toy spongebob which talks when you squeeze it.

5. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Favourite TV show of all time would have to be the first season of Twin Peaks ... I was 16 when it first screened, and it changed my life. I can even pin my caffine addiction on that show.

Others ...

- "The Simpsons". I think seasons 4 & 5 were its high point, but even now it still has occasional touches of magic.
    - the largely forgotten cartoon series "The Critic" was just brilliant, but never got the kudos it deserved.
    - 60s cult TV show "The Prisoner" - very weird, and I still don't know if I actually get it. But it's amazing, and it gets in your head and stays there. (Not to be confused with 80s Australian drama about a women's prison)
    - "Blake's 7" - the best sci-fi show ever. The whole series looked like it was shot for about $500 bucks, but what it lacked in SFX it made up for in plot, great characters, and in Avon, the ultimate anti-hero.

> Father Ted - I've got most of that on tape. It was a real cult classic in the 90s.

I never actually found it that funny, but Vanessa and I almost used "Songs Of Love" (the theme from Father Ted, by The Divine Comedy) as the entrace song at our wedding. "My Lovely Horse" was a bit of a classic too ...

6. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I wrote an essay on the effect Macromedia Flash has had on the aesthetics of animation a while back, and I used The Critic quite a bit, because of its transition from primetime tv to the Flash internet scene.

7. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    There were two new shows on telly tonight, Channel 3 I think.

Punk'd - hosted by Ashton Kuthcer, where he pulls pranks on celebs, pretty funny, esp when Justin Timberlake was almost crying.

Scare tactics - hosted by Shannen Doherty = crap

Come to think of it I should have been doing more school work...

8. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    OH MAN Punk'd was on last night?

All the good programs are always on when I'm at Karate.

9. DrMaul

DrMaul Jedi Master star 1

Dec 24, 2000
    I really like "That 70s Show", but don't understand what all the hype following Ashton K around is about...he only seems to have one character in his repertoire.

Also totally dig "Scrubs" when it is on, and only recently started getting fully into "Stargate SG1" (gradually buying the DVD complete series boxed sets...interesting that it is considerably cheaper to import them from the UK).

"Father Ted"...two thumbs up. Likewise, "Shooting Stars" and anything with Harry Enfield.

Waiting with bated breath for more info on the Paul Darrow endorsed return of "Blake's 7" (http://www.blakes7.com/).

10. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    Does ne1 know when StarGate is starting back up?

11. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    -Simpson's
    -Smallville
    -Futurama
    -(and soon to be Clone Wars Cartoon... :D)

12. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Yea, I'm looking forward to the Clone Wars Cartoon. I love Samurai Jack.
    I'm wondering if we're going to see it on free-to-air tv here, or only through Sky.

13. DrMaul

DrMaul Jedi Master star 1

Dec 24, 2000
    I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if it makes it to free-to-air TV too soon :( .

The word I heard is that it will be on Sky pretty soon though.

And downloadable from Starwars.com's Hyperspace section, of course.

14. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I see there's something about the star wars kid coming up on TV3 news. Wasn't that news like 6 months ago? And even then you'd have to be hard-pressed to call that 'news'.

15. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    I still can't believe that guy got so much publicity/money for playing with a broomstick!

16. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    > I still can't believe that guy got so much publicity/money for playing with a broomstick!

err ... yeah, I also heard he got hassled so badly his parents had to take him out of school, and that he had a nervous breakdoan because of it.

You've got to remember that that footage was put on the 'net without his permission, by kids in his class whose sole aim was to make fun of him.

So, if he did get any money (and I didn't know he had) then more power to him.

17. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    for those not familiar with this issue please visit Starwarskid.com and check out the canuck jedi and various spin offs.

and it was apparently a golf ball retriever not a broom stick

18. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I watched the item on tv3 news ... they just basically summed up the history, and then detailed the pending lawsuits, etc.

I was reminded of this whole thing when I read this article in the NZ Herald:

Cyber-bully attacks girl on website

about an incident in Wellington, where a classmate set up a website to bully another 12yo classmate. Kids/teens sure have it rough these days, when it comes to bullying. But on the other hand, I guess there's far more public awareness of it ... and its not dismissed so much as just 'a normal part of growing up' as it was a couple of decades back.

19. Whacky_Wookie

Whacky_Wookie Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2003
    - Star Gate SG1
    - Ed
    - Red Hat
    - The Shield

But Automan was cool as hell back in the day.

20. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    OMG NO ONE TOLD ME STARGATE STARTED BACK TONIGHT AND I ONLY FOUND OUT 1 HOUR BEFORE HAND!

21. Mr_Deflok

Mr_Deflok Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2003
    Yeah that was pretty shocking, it's on at a 10:30 timeslot, must be doing poorly in the ratings... What actually happened to Daniel? I stopped watching the show religiously after he 'left'. Did he die, or go away somewhere or... something else?

22. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I am so bored with the tv schedule right now. Especially tv2 ... its all reality and lifestyle shows.

23. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    Daniel ascended and went to live with the ancients!

24. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I forgot to watch Futurama last night. :(

25. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Yes, likewise, but the currently screening series is out on DVD at Whitcoulls, so I'm going to put in a word with Santa :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.