main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The Society of Free-Range Gaming

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Penguinator, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy1012

Randy1012 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2007
    I demand admittance! Err, please? :p

Man, Exiles is a game I'd love to get in on, but it's so huge and it's been going on for so long that I can't really figure out how I'd be able to join in comfortably.

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    The way I understand it, it's actually pretty easy to get on, or in, or whatever. You just take a character from a fictional world and he gets plunked into the game. I don't think there's an involved storyline behind it -- its feel is a lot like "Doctor Who" with the time travelling and continuing main characters, but that's it otherwise.

3. godofwar1233

godofwar1233 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2007
    Ya I just joined Exiles and as far as I can tell it looks great.

4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Come right on in! We're not picky with people who want to participate.

As far as Exiles is concerned, I have joined and left that game (read: abandoned without warning) at least twice, and I'm back in for a third go. It's intimidating, but one way to get around that is to throw yourself in the deep end.

It's like getting a needle or pulling off a bandage - the build up is the bad part.

5. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Wow, killed my own thread. Update soon.

6. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    What's up with newbies?

Nothing. They're new. They're learning, so are we. So how do we give them help and welcome them to the fold?

7. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    First off, they're the ones that need to take the first step and be willing to learn. I talked this over with someone, and I think a "Newbies, ask your questions here" thread is a necessary asset to the RPR forum, and should be stickied throughout all three RPFs, because some newcomers may not be aware of the resource forum's... resources.

8. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    That's a good idea; I'm wondering if we should start campaigning for that.

9. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I agree, great idea Reynar...

Beast[face_peace]

10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    So, Beast, are you going to post that idea you showed me any time soon? I think most people would have a few things to say about it.

11. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Okay, Peng, I was just waiting because I didn't want to double post.:p

The idea I wanted to propose was a thread similar to the LCT(Lightsaber Combat Thread) where people go to just battle out. I alway liked the idea of lasertag and other arcade type games, i.e capture the flag, battle royale, WAR, etc. Pretty much like a battle thread.

Ex.Say you wanted to have a game of 2 on 2, 2 clone commandos vs 2 clone commandos, or Jedi, Sith, whatever. Well we assign teams, you know like a game of laser tag or something, and we RP for just fun.

As you can see in the LCT, that it wouldn't be serious unless people wanted it to be, I'm talking like 1 liners and such.

This isn't just for battles like this, it could be galactic battles with entire fleets, or a simple 1 clone commando vs another.

This idea is in its infancy so input would help alot.

That is all.

Beast[face_peace]

12. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Seems too complex to be a game made for people to hop in and out at their own accord like in the LCT.

Also, you say "RP just for fun" as if that's something out of the ordinary. Why else would anyone do it?

13. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'm not sure about too complex...you could have battles between AT-ATs, Fighters, Cruisers, all that, and have it totally RPed. It would require actual planning, yes, but if it's starfighters, then you wouldn't.

It needs work, but it's a good idea.

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Honestly - does no one want to discuss anything? Feel free to bring up your own ideas and topics, as this is as much mine as it is yours.

15. Sentinel-825

Sentinel-825 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2007
    Well, would anyone like to share their thoughts and/or opinions on the idea of a Cyberpunk RPG? Or, while we're at it, perhaps a Steampunk RPG? I've got some ideas in mind for both genres, and would very much appreciate any suggestions on which one to tackle first. :)

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I will always vote for Victorian (or even Edwardian) era Steampunk. :)

17. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Cyberpunk, haven´t seen this in quite a while . . . well it is more of DarkFuture these days, isn´t it? The idea behind Cyberpunk has become too much of our reality, I guess.

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I declare a state of emergency in this thread.

There isn't enough creativity!

19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Steer us in the right direction, man. We don't really have anything to talk about.

20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    But the problem is, where do you want to be steered? I've given you topics, but none have sparked much interest. I'm wondering what it is the populace wants to talk about.

21. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    We could talk about RPGs based on video game franchises.

I've always thought a well-done RPG where the players can play as any character from any Final Fantasy game would be cool.

22. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I have dreamed about an Half-Life RPG, board-wise or pen&paper forever . . . but never really made it . . .

23. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Half-Life is one of the many classic video games that I've never played. I'm going to pick up the sequel on the Xbox eventually.

24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    It's a very fun game, and the trusty crowbar is the greatest video game weapon ever.

25. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Yeah, sure it´s a classic. Half Lige 2 would be the greatest Action-Movie ever, if it was actually a movie. Which it is not. And it always had good characters . . .

I was originally intruiged by the idea of having Part One an RP.

Half Life: Escape from Black Mesa

. . . that was it´s title. Portraying the escape of other Scientists than Gordon Freeman. With him probably meeting them . . . a short up to 600 posts game. Tensed, densed and thrilling.

And of course it could have endless sequels, that portray how the word turned into what we saw in Half-Life2. I liked the idea, wanted to really adapt it from an action game into something creepier, more personal. One player could have a family in a whole different part of the Black Mesa Complex and trying to reach them. Others could be wounded, needing medical attention. And by reaching the med-bay on their level discover horrible things happening there . . . and so on . . .

I never did it, truly. But actually I guess this would be a better discussion for the RPF-Introduction threat, wouldnßt it?

My point here is, after all . . . like movie adaptions, RP adaptions could be interesting of games that are not "perfectly fitting to be adopted".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.