main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Southern Rock Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Short Round McFly, Jul 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Short Round McFly

Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling star 6

Nov 13, 1999
    Okeydokey, before this gets started I'd like to clear up a few things. By southern rock I mean the type of stuff like Allman Brothers, ZZ Top, Skynyrd, etc. and not the "Country Pop" stuff that has stereotyped all southern music as terrible country poopy. And by that I mean stuff like Garth Brooks, etc.

So anyway... What is everyone's favorite Southern Rock bands and why? And what southern guitarists do everyone like?

My favorite southern band is The Allman Brothers Band, definately. Midnight Rider, Sweet Mellisa, Ramblin' Man and Jessica are my favorite tunes.

And my favorite southern guitarists are Dickey Betts and Billy Gibbons. Dickey Betts IMO is the "Southern Jimmy Page" in the way where he could carry a solo on and on without sounding like he's forcing much out, like an endless machine of riffs!

And Hendrix himself has said that Billy Gibbons is one of the greatest guitarists. Imagine being told that by Hendrix of all people! WHOA!

2. Tobie_Wan

Tobie_Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2002
    Yeah, the Allmans are great, and still going strong. However, I really dig their stuff from when Duane Allman was still around. Man that guy could rip endlessly. The combo of him and Betts was incredible!

3. RedWingJedi

RedWingJedi Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002
    My favorite southern rock band would be Lynyrd Skynard, easily. My favorite tunes by them are probably Simple Man, Tuesdays Gone, Freebird, and The Ballad of Curtis Lowe.

Gutiarist wise, Billy Gibbons is probably favorite, he's got some great riffs

Its interesting to notice, there really aren't any southern rock bands anymore, at least not that I've heard. If any of the bands mentioned, Skynard, ZZ Top, Allman Brothers, etc started today, they'd be classified as country

4. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    I'm seeing the Allman Bros. in August!

:cool: DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

5. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    SIMPLE MAN by Lynrd Skynrd is one of my all-time favorite songs.

6. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Gimme Back my Bullets
    and
    That Smell

are my fave Skynyrd tunes

7. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I'm not real big on Southern Rock,but I do love Lynrd Skynd's Sweet Home Alabama. It has a good rythm.

8. fett

fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 1999
    I think the early Molly Hatchett stuff was great. With the exception of the Allman's, they are the most technically proficient Southern rock band I've heard. The double leads are always clean, good back-up vocals, and very tight breaks. I'm a big prog fan and I can really get into Molly Hatchett on a good day.

I think modern day Southern Rock bands would be The Black Crowes, possibly the first two Brother Cane albums, Pride and Glory (the Zakk Wylde project that died quickly). All good stuff, but not very consistent.

9. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I saw the following bands in one outdoor show in 1991.

Lynard Skynard
    Molly Hatchet
    Foghat

I used to listen to Molly Hatchet before I went surfing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.