main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The SWCCG: Looking ahead one year...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Where would you like to see the Player's Committee bring the Star Wars CCG, YJ and JK one year from now? What do you want to see? What kind of promotions? Championship Series? What about official Leagues for all three games? All thoughts, comments, and questions welcome.

2. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I really like the looks of "Race to Mount Doom". Perhaps the PC could come up with a similar "fun" tournament structure for Star Wars. While of course it can't be officially packaged, it is still possible to do based on a website or something.

3. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Decipher recapturing the licence? :) Well one can dream, can't he?

R'Bolt

4. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    I second R'Bolt.

5. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    "...and yet, Hope remains....if the Company is true..."

6. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    LOL at Red84.

Honestly, I think the biggest single thing that helped new strategies come about with each new set were: OBJECTIVES!!. Think about the biggest deck types you know of. With the exception of TRM, EBO, and a few others, they ALL revolve around Objectives.

Now, re-vamping old deck types is all and good (I especially think the Wokling was a nice touch) But I think that in order to make the virtual set worth it (which is ironic, since they're essentiallty free) is that we need to start virtualizing objectives. I know that since the amount of actual objective cards is limited, I think it would be a pretty good idea to make objectives out of 2 separate cards. Simply put them in the same clear sleeve together w/ the virtual texts.

Of course, you WOULD lose some space this way, and there would be some logistsics, but I think that if we want to keep the game alive, we need objectives.

7. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Edit:Keep it on topic.

8. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Okay, so most of us who played the CCG the last seven years would like the licence to return. But we must come to terms that that will never happen.

So... with that in mind, where would you like to see the Player's Committee bring the game in the coming year.

9. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Well, the first thing that came to mind when the topic began was that it would be nice to have a Hoth Objective. Given there was never one to virtualize, it would be neat if some other method might serve the same purpose.

R'Bolt

10. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    You mean like a virtual Imperial Occupation/Imperial Control? ;)

11. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    What I would like to see:

1. Keep up the Rules Updates. This is the single most valuable service the PC can provide. Looking at the Decipher BBS, there are still new players coming into the game, and they have important rules questions that need to be clarified.

2. Continue to support the tournament scene with prize support and player rankings.

3. Fewer V-Cards. That's a personal preference, and I don't expect it to be a popular opinion (but when has that ever stopped me before??). IMO, V-Set 1 was the perfect size and mix. The last two V-Sets were IMO too large and made too much of an impact. I liked the goal of making older cards competitive with newer ones, giving us cards like Han's Blaster (V) and Luke Skywalker (V). But now we're seeing more and more V-Cards made just for the sake of making new cards.

I also have a suggestion for a tournament format: Triathlon.

A lot of players play SW:CCG, a good number play YJ, and some are still avid players of JK. But how many play all three? How many are GOOD at all three?

In the Triathlon, each player would play 2 rounds of each Decipher Star Wars CCG: SWCCG, YJ and JK, 6 total rounds (probably spread over two days). Victory points and differentials would be scored as normal, and totaled up for all games. A player who went 8(+40) in SWCCG, 3(-15) in YJ, and 4(+4) in JK would have a total score of 15(+29) for the tournament. Highest score wins (using differentials for tie-breakers).

If desired, the victory points could be weighted in favor of one game over another -- perhaps SW:CCG would get 1.2 victory points per game, YJ would get 1 and JK would get 0.8, for example. Or the weighting could come in the form of additional/fewer rounds for one game -- 3 rounds of SW:CCG, 2 rounds YJ and 1 round JK for example.

There could also be Triathlon Sealed Deck or Booster Draft formats....

It would be one way perhaps to promote the "lesser known" Decipher Star Wars games, Young Jedi and Jedi Knights. The format promotes a proficiency in ALL THREE games, instead of just one.

12. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    >> 3. Fewer V-Cards... V-Set 1 was the perfect size and mix. The last two V-Sets were IMO too large and made too much of an impact. <<

Hmm...on a similar note, while I don't have a problem against larger sets, perhaps instead of releasing a large set every 3 months, perhaps save like half for a follow-up release about 6 weeks afterwards? It would provide a more constant in-flow of newer cards, and allow us to all assimilate them in smaller doses as well as making the interval between new sets seems smaller. At the same time, it might help indirectly address, to an extent, people who might have the complain cited above.

13. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    This is just an observation (not a critisism) but many cards went from being useless to huge. An example is the Virtual Tarkin. I mean, from 2p/2a to something like 5p/3a. That's quite a change!

I like cards like the virtuaql Vader that simply change the idea of the card. Vader was always powerful, but here was a different use. We now had "space Vader". More of the same would be great.

The insert cards, especially the numbers cards, are great candidates for this. Make them something other than inserts (not insanely powerful, just different) and their use will be promoted.

On the other hand, the virtual set has revived some cards that rarely saw play in the first place ( I am thinking Sai-tor -whatever).

While the Player's comittee is made up of advocates is see a small danger of letting the playing community dictate too much what happens. An example is EBO. Okay, so the Wokling was designed by a player and earnt as a reward, but is it giving in to the "I wish I could start EBO with 3 effects" idea. I do play EBO, and yes I use the starting effects, but their does need to be limits. EBO is already goo, and for me, fun to play. Boundaries are being stretched.

However, it is nice to see the players dictate their own game. How often did you see the spoiler list and were dissapointed to see how Decipher treated a particular concept? Maybe not often, but there were a couple of occassions where I thought thuings coukld be done differently. Just my opinion.

Overall, I'd like to see more cases where the choice between the original card and the virtual card is simply a matter of taste or deck type, and less of the cards where you would only ever use the virtual.

14. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    The last two V-Sets were IMO too large and made too much of an impact.

That's a first.. :)

Truthfully tho, the VCards have to make an impact because they are really the only thing that will keep this game going. Classic-only will definately help, I think. And the the Championships we are planning will bring some much needed competitiveness to the tournament environment beyond just the DPCs.

Do you play in tournaments AD?

15. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Oh yeah... and give the YJ VCards a chance, guys. It may be a couple sets before the YJ people can find a happy medium. It should be made known that those in charge of the YJ side of things have been playing YJ for sometime...most at the WCs and other major Championships. So their involvement is very credible.

16. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    I personally would be happier if you would did one of 2 things with the Vcard sets:

1: shorten the amount of cards you do, so you don't just make cards for filler. Instead, just make as many good, quality, possibly game-changing cards as possible.

OR

2: do the exact opposite, and virtualize EVERY card in the set. I know this is daunting, and would most likely take much longerm, but I for one would like to see a complete set released. Perhaps not all 180 cards at once, just 30 or so here, 45 there. Maybe spending 2 Virtual sets on 1 "real" set.

Just a thought...

17. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    "The last two V-Sets were IMO too large and made too much of an impact. "

That's a first.. :)

Told you it wouldn't be a popular opinion. :)

IMO, the V-Card sets should be about the size of a premium product - between 10 and 20 new "cards". Probably try to release 3 or 4 sets per year. That should be enough to keep up interest in the game, without shaking everything up with every new set.

One card alone can make a huge impact on the game -- case in point, Fear Will Keep Them In Line! You don't need 40-50 new cards to make a significant impact. So try to narrow the focus of each V-Set. IMO.

This will also have a practical advantage for the PC: you guys won't have to work so hard and burn yourselves out! You guys are doing all this for free in your spare time, but if you keep releasing 40 and 50 card sets every 3 or 4 months, you guys are going to burn yourselves out quick! And none of us want to see that.

See, I just have your best interests at heart, Red. :)

And in answer to your other question, I haven't played in or run a SW:CCG tournament since the Dantooine regionals. Other things are taking up my time right now....

18. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    I prefer to see the size of the V cards to stay the way they are. If there are about three to four sets per year, I would like to see the first two or three keep on pace with expansions, and then the last set of the year be a "grab bag" type (V) set where some of the under used cards from a mix of later expansions. Those cards are just as under used as old cards. ;)

19. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    Ooh, I like that idea.

20. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    Actually, that sounds really good. We'll have a hoth, dagobah, and Cloud City, and then maybe an anthology (figuratively speaking, of course)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.