main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Tim Burton Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by DarthHomer, Jul 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I found the ending to POTA a bit quirky. I think Burton found the movie a bit too predictible and tryed to add something to shake things up a bit. It did indeed shake things up, but it ended up not improving the movie at all.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I found PotA weak but acceptable until the ridiculous ending ruined it for me.

I've got a question: Why didn't Burton direct Nightmare before Christmas? It looks so much like on of his films, and it's a common misconception that he did direct it. So what's the story there?

3. MatRags

Feb 5, 2001
    Burton wrote and produced Nightmare Before Christmas, so it is practically is his movie.

4. jedi_master_sauron

jedi_master_sauron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    has anyone ever seen lisa marie, tim burton's girlfriend in anything other than a tim butron movie?

we did "ed wood" too right? that's a really good movie.

"home, . . . i have no home"

5. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    The ending to POTA was the best part, IMP. It makes perfect sense, if you think about it. If they'd kept the monkey love scene with Helena Bonham Carter and Mark Wahlberg in the film it would have been perfect :)

6. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    I love Tim Burton. He's probably my favorite director of all time. Many of my all-time favorite movies (Batman, Batman Returns, Sleepy Hollow, Beetlejuice) were directed by him.

Now, with that said and done...I thought POTA stunk. I thought it was boring, uninspired, poorly written, poorly acted, and poorly directed. Heck, even Danny Elfman's score wasn't all that great (and I usually love his work!). Don't even get me started on that ridiculous ending. The original POTA is by far the better of the two.

Still, even a great director can make some bad movies. I still look forward to Burton's next film.

7. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Brace yourself, you know what I'd like to see Burton direct? A new film version of the rock opera TOMMY! Before you have a reaction...stop and think about what Burton's vision would be like of the story of the ultimate outsider becoming a Messiah. I'd love to see Tim film his version of the song THE ACID QUEEN.

[face_laugh] Makes my mind reel.

I'll be Executive Producer, :)

8. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

Timmy doing a version of TOMMY?

I'd pay to see that.

9. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I like POTA. It's probably one of his least impressive films (the least "Burtonesque" if you will) but it's an okay summer blockbuster. Tim Roth and Helena Bonham Carter are great and I love Elfman's main theme. But I'd like to see a more personal film from him next.

10. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    According to Hollywood Reporter. Ewan McGregor and Albert Finney have been cast in Burton's new film, Big Fish.

Burton must really like Star Wars actors. So far he's worked with Billy Dee Williams, William Hootkins (Porkins), Natalie Portman, Ian McDiarmid, Christopher Lee and Ray Park :)

11. MatRags

Feb 5, 2001
    Thats great news.

I think Big Fish will be Burton's comeback. It sounds like this could be a more personal film to him like Ed Wood was.

12. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Actually I think Sleepy Hollow and POTA were both successful enough to be considered comebacks.

13. professor_klump

professor_klump Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    The ending of POTA was similar to what the book was. The apes actually lived in cities and drove cars. It's been years since I read it but that ending was not just devised for the movie.

14. Super_Nation_Jock

Jul 4, 2002

Ewan and Burton ought to be GREAT together!

15. Super_Nation_Jock

Jul 4, 2002

I'm eager to see this Big Fish movie everyone is talking about.

16. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    So how does everyone rate Burton's films in order? Here's my list, from most "Burtonesque" to least "Burtonesque" :)

1. Edward Scissorhands
    2. Batman Returns
    3. Ed Wood
    4. Beetlejuice
    5. Sleepy Hollow
    6. Mars Attacks!
    7. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    8. Pee-wee's Big Adventure
    9. Planet of the Apes
    10. Batman

17. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Haven't seen Ed Wood or Pee-Wee yet.

18. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    Dude, you must!

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Ed Wood was supposed to come out on DVD yesterday, but then the studio cancelled that and extended it indefinitely. As soon as it's on DVD, I shall see it.

Pee-Wee I've just got no interest in.

20. MatRags

Feb 5, 2001
    You would be pleasantly suprised by Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Its not like that TV show at all. Its a pretty funny comedy about a man-child who lost his bike.

I think the funniest part was when Pee Wee danced on on the pool table at a bar to Tequila. Of course thats the only real part I can remeber. Its been several years since I've seen it.

21. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

My favorite part of Pee Wee's movie was when he dragged everyone down to the basement for this prolonged, involved lecture on the missing bike and the evidence for the crime.
    The look on everyone's faces while Pee Wee drones on and on is hysterical. [face_laugh]

22. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

C'mon Madge, Pee-wee's a must. It's one of the most qoutable, frequently watchable, off-the-wall comedies I've ever seen. I think Paul Reubans should have won the academy award for such a great and fleshed out performance... no jest. Though, I should admit that I have a bit of a nostalgic tie to that film, my cousins and I grew up watching it.

Favorite scene:

"I'm in Texas, Dotty."
    "Yeah right, Pee-wee."
    "No, look... I'll prove it to you!" *sticks head outside of telephone booth*
    "The stars outsiiiide are big and briiiiight"
    *clap*
    *clap*
    *clap*
    *clap*

"DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!" 8-}

~PAd

23. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Mars Attacks. That's my favorite Burton movie. It's so off-the-wall, and quirky. Only Burton could have pulled that one off.

24. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    It certainly was an anarchic film.

25. rich_meister

rich_meister Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Gotta love Mars Attacks! and Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. Super movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.