main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist The Twisted Creations of Schoolgirl_Bounty

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Schoolgirl_Bounty, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Schoolgirl_Bounty

Schoolgirl_Bounty Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2005
    Most of the artwork I will post on here will be character sketches for some of my creations on the Role Playing Boards. I should have some Star Wars related drawings up soon. Please comment on my work. I really do apprecite those who give advice!

More to come soon!
    ~S_B

Sylwyn Tyr'aear from The Path of Elements

Alice Sota "Tetsuo" from Xavier's School of Higher Learning

2. grievious

grievious Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    Hmmm it's okay, Your marker skills are better then mine, only i don't like manga that much... But it's pretty good, and you draw your characters while in motion, and I must say that's good because almost everyone (including me:p ) in here draws or paints so static...

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Welcome, Schoolgirl_Bounty! I like both of these--and I'll agree with grievous that it's always nice to see the characters "in motion!" :D This is an interesting style--almost anime/manga, but different. The coloring is lovely, with a lot of vibrant tones--I'm thinking these were done with ink and markers...? Beautiful saturation, in any case, with little evidence of any bleeding. The only suggestion I could make (since I'm a doof with any sort of animated style myself!) would be to add in some tonal shading--using darker tones of the colors of the faces/limbs/clothing, etc. to show more "space" or volume for the subjects (things like shadows under chins and cheekbones, on the underside of arms and where limbs cross or would block the light). It would give the subjects a bit more depth and help separate them from the backgrounds (which are also nice to see, btw!). I like the expressions on the faces, and the figures look very natural in their movement--very believable. Nice work on both, and we'll be looking forward to the SW characters!

FF

4. Schoolgirl_Bounty

Apr 25, 2005
    Well, I've grown up a bit, and have moved on to other mediums, including, but not limited to, learning how to use my tablet... But, understand I'm still learning... don't judge TOO harshly!
    [​IMG]

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Ah, the tablet... It's a marvelous piece of equipment. I use mine mainly for mixed media, now.

Your linework is nice and tight, though I'm curious as to what program you're using to draw in. While I won't criticize MSPaint (I use it for pixel art, mainly), Photoshop provides more brush options, so you can play around with different strokes. I haven't used Paint.NET, but I think it has pretty much the same options. Also, with shading, you may want to use darker tones and lighter highlights, as the shading on the hair is very difficult to see. It may be simply that I'm colorblind, but I hadn't noticed the highlights until I was typing my previous sentence, at which time I had been looking over the image for quite some time. The skin tones are a bit difficult to see as well, though not quite as difficult as the hair.

You have an interesting style, and I hope to see more work from you. :)

6. JediHall

JediHall Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Don't be too harsh on yourself, it take a lot of courage to put your work out there for the world to see. you have some greg things going on here, the form of the figure is will constructed with your shadows well place. However I do agree with TrakNar your shadows and highlights should be pushed more. Have fun with it, don't be afraid to experiment. In keeping with your Complimentary Color scheme, what if you added some dark green to the shadow areas and a very light green to the highlights. that is one thing I like about working with digital medium, its easy to undo things you don't like. Keep up the great work. I look forward to see more from you.

7. Schoolgirl_Bounty

Apr 25, 2005
    To answer your question, at the moment, I'm using Corel Paint Shop Photo X2, but plan on upgrading on Monday once I get my new laptop (YAY LAPPY~) I think I used a total of thirteen layers on this one. Yes, I love my layers. More to play with, easier to correct mistakes.

8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Nothing wrong with layers. My average layer count is around thirty. After a while, I start grouping them to keep track of them easier, and each group could have ten or more layers in it. Group shots tend to get weighty with the layers. Groups for each person, plus background, plus effects, and I'm easily up to 100+ layers.

As for the program, see if it has any brush settings that you can mess with. Don't be afraid to experiment with the program and with different types of coloring styles.

9. JediHall

JediHall Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    you can never have too many layers! I love layers!

TrakNar likes this.
  10. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I love the raw emotion in this work piece! :)