main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    After North Carolina, Georgia was the closest red state that almost went blue.

This 2014 Senate election will be interesting, if the Democratic nominee is competitive there then Georgia could be a swing state in 2016.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Next stop, Texas! It probably won't happen until 2020 at the earliest, but it's gonna happen.

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Eh, I think the better question should be, why are you surprised?

5. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    it'll happen because californians are practically pouring into that state.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    You would think it wouldn't be surprising by now....

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Oregon Dems trying to make cigarettes a controlled substance

I almost put that in derp. Even if it passes it'll just create a smoking smuggling problem. I do find it funny that slow death is ok but fast acting poison is bad. I used to smoke, hell I miss smoking. But I do not think this sort of thing can win.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Smoking isn't nearly as popular as it used to be anyway. I suspect it will die out on its own in a couple of generations.

I agree, I can't really see how making something a "controlled substance" has ever solved a problem.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Bill Clinton did very well in the south, I think Hillary would too. I believe Bill carried Georgia, Louisiana, and Kentucky (twice) over the course of 92 and 96.

Biden would struggle a good bit more I think, especially if the GOP frames him as a northeastern "elitist," as they did with Kerry and Dukakis- although his personality may make that pursuit difficult. Keep an eye on South Carolina, too- we have a very unpopular tea party governor in Haley who is polling very low, and if the more urban areas (we do have some) like Charleston and Columbia could begin to balance out the bible belt in the northwest corner of the state, we could flip too- generally, the GOP gets about 53-54% in Presidential races. Haley up for re-election in 2014, that race could be a good predictor.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Didn't Oregon have legalized marijuana on the ballot this past election? Obviously it didn't pass like in Washington and Colorado but there must be some support for it to wind up on the ballot. So in the minds of Oregonians, tobacco smoking = bad, marijuana smoking = good?

11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    this would be a pretty valid opinion to have

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I miss the days when we used to believe in the separation between church and state.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    It's not in the Constitution!!!11

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Hillary 2016 SuperPAC is ready to launch...

http://theweek.com/article/index/239346/hillary-superpac-readies-launch

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  16. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Was that law actually enforced?

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Might have been back when it was first enacted way back when in 1877, I have no clue if anybody actually enforces it now.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Every once in a while you see someone trying to enforce an old law like that... either because they're super-conservative and find out that technically the law still exists so they try to take advantage out of it to make a "moral example" of somebody, or they're liberal and want to make news so the law can be abolished. It's even worse in the military, where a lot of outdates rules are actually still enforced.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think that law is still on the books in North Carolina but I'm not completely sure. (And my brother and I both violated it.)

I have heard of landlords trying to use it to deny housing to unmarried couples.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    John Kerry's farewell to congress (ATM there's only two minutes of the nearly 45 minute speech):

He'll be sworn in as Sect. of State on Friday.

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    What do you make of this?

23. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    He's a little ragey and a little paranoid and a little conspiracy, and his invocation of Orwell is *yawn* but on the other hand that provision of the NDAA is absolutely insane.

24. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah...unless we somehow get Citizens United overturned in the next few years...good luck with that Kerry.

25. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, maybe that could be like, a first step to work on in order to achieve the aim Kerry proposes in his speech?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.