main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, I think it was actually after a SB party in 2000 if my memory is correct.

Edit- tapatalk on the fritz, sry for any double posts etc.

2. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Super Baugh!

DarthTunick likes this.
  3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Ya know, these playoffs have pretty spectacularly sucked up to this point for me, but it was almost worth it for this...

lol @ Tom Brady

xblackout and s65horsey like this.
  4. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    not saying they could have really had a better QB, particularly for their system, but brady's turnovers have killed them more than once. that's all i meant by it.

so i'm not the only one who says post 2k SB. and yea, at a party the week after i think.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    It always amuses me how much Ray Lewis overdramatizes everything.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i am torn between this and harbowl.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The thing with Ray Lewis.. on the whole I'm inclined to like the guy (dramatic as he is) and think that he presently seems like a really good dude. The murder thing is obviously always going to be there, though. But the thing is, it's not nearly as cut and dried as people who hate him like to think. In honesty, to me it sounded like a case of self defense in a fight that got way out of hand, and that Lewis' biggest sin in all that was the obstruction of justice. And he got the maximum penalty for that. Did he get some special treatment because of being famous? Of course. But at the same time, regular people get plea deals all the time. And in the end, the other two guys were acquitted on the grounds of self-defense.

None of that minimalizes how awful it was that Lewis was part of a fight that wound up with two people dead, or that he at first tried to lie about it. But by the same token, none of that stuff changes the good things he's done since or his place as a great football player. The way people talk about him, you'd think he was OJ, and that just isn't so.

heels1785 and DarthTunick like this.
  8. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i woudn't use baugh. it would reflect poorly on sammy baugh. whom i was trying to figure out why in the world you were referencing BTW.

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    From my last FB status update:

San Francisco vs. Baltimore! An excellent, excellent Superbaugh... Ray Lewis' last stand, the incredible run of Kaepernick, sibling rivalry & Joe Flacco flipping off (for now) all the doubters. Bring on February 3rd!

I couldn't be more excited for this Super Bowl... it's a really great match up, one with many (even if some do get overplayed) intriguing & fascinating story lines. Super Bowl XLVII will also mark the 10th straight Super Bowl in which me & my brother will be watching the game at our buddy Brian's house, a tradition I'm so happy we've kept going... I can't ******* wait until February 3rd. :D

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Went to Wikipedia, the murders happened after a SuperBowl XXXIV party in 2000. Ray Lewis and the Ravens went on to win the SuperBowl the following year.

Edit: LOL at Belicheat being too much of a sore loser to give CBS an interview.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

It's also admirable in my view the respect he's been able to command from so many others in the league over time... not that many players can accomplish such a feat.

12. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    belicheck would never do an interview if he wasn't forced to.

13. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    That's because he is a tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LloydChristmas and Rox like this.
  14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Oh no, an NFL coach didn't give a lame, mostly useless tv interview (all of them are annoying)? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Belichick was prepared- he wore a scarf over his mouth so no one could hear him anyway. It's okay, Bill, we know you're always frowning anyway. :p

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    First time in 9 seasons we have an AFC rep not the Colts, Pats or Steelers.

2003 Pats
    2004 Pats
    2005 Steelers
    2006 Colts
    2007 Pats
    2008 Steelers
    2009 Colts
    2010 Steelers
    2011 Pats

Pretty incredible. In fact this will be the first Super Bowl I've seen without one of those teams in it.

DarthTunick and MASTERPRENN like this.
  17. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I don't know about you guys but I'm personally very excited about the forthcoming two solid weeks of featurettes about the Harbaugh brothers' childhood and sanctimonious scriptural treatises from Ray Lewis. It's gonna be great.

MASTERPRENN and LloydChristmas like this.
  18. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Just happy there's fresh blood in the Super Bowl. Nice to see teams that haven't been in awhile get a crack at it. Should be more like that, if you ask me.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, that's definitely nice. I hadn't really realized it had been only Pats, Steelers, and Colts for so long in the AFC. Yikes.

20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Not from my perspective. :p

Kind of surprising though since the NFL has the most level playing ground of the three big leagues. Shows you how big it is to draft a franchise quarterback.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Root for a team in the NFC. With the exception of the Giants, it seems like for the last fifteen years, there's been a new team from the NFC in the Super Bowl every year.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Which is so true and what I keep saying. The QB is the second most important single player on a sports team in any US sport, just after the goalie in hockey.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Since Super Bowl XXXI, only 3 NFC franchise's have made multiple appearances in the Super Bowl: Packers (XXXII, XLV), Rams (XXXIV, XXXVI), and Giants (XXXV, XLII, XLVI).

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'd completely forgotten about the Rams going twice when I originally put the fifteen year mark, so more like over the last decade there's only been the Giants that have gone to the Super Bowl more than once.

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes and the NFC West has had every team go once in the last 12 years. Power division! :p