main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The What if the Empire Sequel=COMPLETED 11/14

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Darth Pipes, Aug 6, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
  2. Leggo My Eggo

Leggo My Eggo Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 1998
    TOP o' the morning to ya!!!!

3. HermitJedi

HermitJedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2000
    Almost there :).

4. ObiWan99

ObiWan99 Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2001
  5. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    Finally, I'm posting! :D

After this one, I have at least one more, then Pipes will close us out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke drank in the sounds and sights of the celebration all around him. But he didn't feel quite ready to jump right in himself. So he watched and listened, and smiled at seeing his family and so many of his friends so happy.

Leia caught his eye and flashed him a brilliant smile, which he did his best to return. She waved him over to where she and Han were standing, and Luke hesitated a moment. That did not go unnoticed by his sister. She unwrapped herself from Han's arms and began to approach her brother.

He met her halfway, and immediately pulled her into a hug, which she returned fiercely. Luke held onto her, even as he felt her begin to pull away. He found himself unable to say anything.

Leia patted him on the back, and said quietly, "It's okay Luke. It's over. It's over."

She repeated the words to him several times; seeming to understand what Luke was having trouble articulating, not pressuring him to talk or explain. He just sighed in response.

He was trying not to let himself become overwhelmed by what had happened. But now, with the danger finally, completely gone, and his family and friends safe, it was all coming to him in a rush.

The battle with Palpatine, the ghosts he had faced, how close he had come to losing Father, to losing everything?and to have it all turn around so quickly, and to be standing in Coruscant with the Empire suddenly vanquished?

"Luke?" Leia managed to pull back from his embrace enough to look at him. She looked at him quizzically for a moment, and then gave him a warm, reassuring smile. "I know it's hard to believe, and it?s hard to let go." She turned to indicate the revelry and festivity. "But look around you. This is the time to celebrate. We've earned it. You've definitely earned it."

"I know, Leia, I know that," he replied. "And believe me, I am happy, and relieved. You don't know how much. I thought nothing could compare to Yavin, but this is so much more than that ever was. I do plan to take part in all of this soon enough."

"But??" Leia's smile faded a little in concern, and she lowered her voice to what passed for a whisper in the midst of all the noise. "Luke, can you tell me what happened back there, with the Emperor? It was hard for me to sense what was going on, at least not after we both felt Father in so much pain. I can't imagine what you found when you got there ?"

"It was?as bad as you probably think it was," he interrupted. "Palpatine was capable of some things I could never have imagined, and father was in terrible shape when I finally got there."

"But you pulled through."

"We did."

"And you should be proud of that, Luke," she said. "You both should be."

A real smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. "I am. Helping him was what I was born to do. It's just that?well, 3 years ago, my biggest concern on any given day was how I was going to get off Tatooine. Everything in my life changed so quickly, so much was suddenly on my shoulders?I don't regret the change for one minute, but to see this final result now is more than a little overwhelming.

"You been planning for and ready for this moment your whole life, Leia. I'm just playing a little catch up. When we first met on the Death Star, who could have ever thought this is where we'd end up?"

"Not me!" Leia said with a laugh. "But despite the long, difficult, sometimes unbelievable journey we had to take to get here, I'm glad. I?m glad that you're my brother and my friend. And that we're here to share this all together."

"So am I," Luke replied.

"Then, come on, let's enjoy this together then," she insisted. Luke finally let her out of the hug, and gladly let her drag him into the crowd.

6. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    Great post, ami-padme! :) I really enjoyed the interaction between Luke and Leia. I thought Luke's feelings was a realistic reaction to all that has gone on. The description he gave Leia of the battle with the Emperor was strong.

Great job! Good to have you back writing! :D

7. LadyVader2884

LadyVader2884 Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    great job keep up the good work

8. starwarsfan1000

starwarsfan1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2000
  9. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Whiskey in the Jar-Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2000
    Another great group of posts from both of you.

I'm sorry to see this particular thread coming to a close, though...this series was one of the first stories I ever read when I came to the JC. And now, to see it all so close to the end is...well...kinda sad :_|

Still, it's been a heck of a ride. Great job, Darth Pipes and ami-padme. My hat's off to you both. :D

10. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
  11. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Nice Job with Luke's emotions. This is sad, all my favorite fic's are ending. DM, Shackled past, this one. Sniff. :(

I need another good story to replace them.
    Do you have anything planned for the future?

12. Leggo My Eggo

Leggo My Eggo Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 1998
    I wouldn't mind seeing this story continue someday, concerning when the Vong finally show up (hint hint) :)

I've been lurking here so long and haven't been able to post (I usually catch these story snippets during work) but wanted to say top hats off to both Pipes and Ami-Padme for entertaining us all....

I'd like to echo everyone's sentiments too when I say I'm sorry to see this thread come to a close, but alas, in good time all things must end......

Thanks again, Darth Pipes and Ami-Padme, for giving us a terrific story!

13. ObiWan99

ObiWan99 Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2001
    How things have changed here (and in the world) since the first words of the first story were written.

14. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
  15. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    That was a great piece Ami Padme. I too am going to miss this fic. It has been a fun one and exciting.

Countdown has begun.

16. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    Thanks everyone! :) My final post will be tomorrow.

17. Dark_Soldier

Dark_Soldier Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    :_(

All the great fics I'm reading are ending...
    This is sad, since this is the fic that brought me to the JC board...
    I'm going to miss it...

Luke's reaction was very well written! and very realistic.

I don't know if I should look forward to the next post... I don't want this to end!!!

18. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    Looking forward to your last post, ami! :D

19. ObiWan99

ObiWan99 Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2001
  20. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    Han couldn't remember ever having such a good time in his life.

And there had been plenty of good times ? at least that's what he had thought before now. But even the most ridiculous times he had, the craziest places he had found himself in?nothing compared to this. To this scene, to this feeling.

Chewie came back over to him and gave him another slap on the back. The Wookie had been exuberantly hugging everyone in sight (Han wondered if some of them would ever recover from such a bone-crushing experience), telling anyone who would listen about their adventure in the space battle and refusing to accept any condolences for the loss of the Falcon. After all, according to Chewie, it would be no time before they had a ship that was bigger, better, faster?

Han believed that. Mostly. Almost completely. As the escape pod had pulled away, Han did spare one final look to the debris that was left of his ship. It hurt, he couldn't deny that. And the ship was more than special to him. He knew that some people didn't understand it, but he had put so much into the Falcon, that to lose her that way, to lose her at all, was something he had never really thought about.

But it was reality, and there wasn't anything he could do about it. He didn't have any regrets over his decision. He knew there wasn't another way. And to be honest, there were plenty of things more important than his ship when he safely landed on Coruscant.

"Han!" Leia called to him, breaking him from his thoughts. "Look who I found."

"Hey there, kid!" Han said as Luke came up behind her. "I've been looking for you. I hadn't even gotten to talk to you since the battle ended."

"Well, I've just been taking this all in. I've been hearing some crazy stories about how you saved the day up there," Luke replied with a smile.

"And they're all true," Han said simply, returning the smile. "No need to exaggerate."

"Oh, give me a break!" Lando's voice cut through the noise, as he moved into their circle. "This guy thinks he did it all by himself."

"Didn't you, Han?" asked Leia, with a mischievous look on her face.

"Chewie helped."

Lando shook his head with a chuckle. "Take all the credit you want, you old pirate. Sylvn and I know how it happened." Lando placed an arm around General Kenobi's shoulder, and Han cheerfully wondered how close the two had recently become. "You did an okay job, but we were really the ones out there carrying the load."

Sylvn, in a rare show of flippancy, added, "The Empire trembled before us."

"You're all crazy," Luke said. Chewie howled an agreement.

"That's why you like us, kid." Luke's response was to laugh, giving Han a quick slap on the shoulder.

After a moment, Han turned away and slipped his arms around Leia's waist, pulling her close to him and leaning his head down to hers. "You don't think I'm crazy do you?" he murmured to her.

"Of course I do. And I love you anyway."

"I know."

Leia just rolled her eyes. Han's hands framed her face, and he drew her in for a long kiss, as they both forgot the melee around them.

"Mother?" Luke pulled her into a tight embrace. "Enjoying the celebration?"

"Of course!" she said. Luke had to admit that she did look radiantly happy. He wasn't sure that he had ever seen her like this before. It was wonderful.

"Except that I seem to have lost your Father. He was standing right here, I don't know where he could have gone." She shrugged. "I'm sure he'll turn up again."

"He will, don't worry. In the meantime, you're stuck with me."

"I can live with that." Her eyes sparkled brightly. "Luke, I haven't told you how proud I am of you."

"Thanks," Luke replied. "Helping Father was ?"

"Actually," she interrupted, "that isn't what I meant. Of course, I'm glad for what you did for your father, but what you did goes beyond even that." She paused briefly. "Luke, I saw what happened to your father all those years ago when he first faced Palpatine. Despite his strength, despite his des

21. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    Great post, ami-padme! :) Wonderful, fun interaction between the characters. Very fulfilling. I'm glad that Han and Anakin have buried their differences.

This was a great final post, ami-padme. It's been an honor working with you on the What if the Empire saga. These stories would not have been what they were without you. It's an even greater honor to be your friend. Thank you! :D

22. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    Well, that was my last post in the story... [face_shocked] :_|

Without getting too over-the-top (especially since the story isn't done, Pipes will close us out), I do have a couple of things to say.

First and foremost, an enormous THANK YOU to Darth Pipes, of course, who originally took the idea for this story and ran with it, creating a better story from a rather simple question ("What if the Empire went back in time to Episode I?") than I could ever have thought of. He originally asked me to join this story to write one -- one! -- post...I'm glad he reached out to ask, not only because I wound up writing major parts of this story, but because it also made us fast friends. :) And, he has often carried the majority of the burden in writing this story, and of late, on this sequel, he completely took over when real life didn't allow me time to write much at all, and appreciate him doing that so cheerfully. ;)

I also want to thank everyone who has read these stories for your support and feedback over a very long period of time. It has really meant a lot to both of us. You guys are the best readers out there! :D I hope you'll keep supporting my fics in the future (whenever I get to writing new stories again!).

Anyway, it's been fun, long ride, and I'm still surprised it's over. Can't wait for that final post...thanks again, everyone.

23. LadyVader2884

Oct 15, 2001
    GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. LadyVader2884

Oct 15, 2001
    GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Great job, ami-padme :). From the first post in 1999 to now, its been an amazing ride.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.