main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Theory on why older fans love the OT, have some issues with the PT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Deuspater, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
  2. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    >>>>>Anakin could have a father, not being just some Jesus.<<<<<<

Trust me. He thought a lot about this. I must admit I was taken aback at first when I heard this, but I kept an open mind and realized it works better. It gives it an epic, mythological feel. It makes it more of a tragedy, the idea of someone who is meant to do great things, myrical things. What better way to do that than to make him some sort of Christ figure? Plus, what would be the point of him having a father? If he had one that was with him, it would be kind of boring, and if he had one that was not with him, it would be redundant after seeing Luke's case in ANH. I just dont understand people's problem with this, but to each his own I guess.

>>>>>They could make it so that TPM was taking place over 3 years<<<<<<<

But that is not STAR WARS. If anything, THAT sounds like something in the EU. SW movies never take place over the course of years. I doubt they even take place over a week. That is just not the style of SW.

>>>>Well there is nothing in AOTC to suggest that they are good friends. All there is the apprentice/master relationship.<<<<<<

Well first of all, I would disagree with you. Even though there is tension, the first scene should have shown you what good freinds they are. There are lots of freindships that have this tension. They just spend a little too much time with each other. Also, when I talked about obssessive attachments to little parts of the OT, this is what I mean. There are only two sentences in the OT where Obiwan said this, and a lot of people seemed to focus on that and become fixated with it. Why? How is that so important to the story? People who complain about Obiwan being more of a father figure to Anakin are missing the whole point of the story of SW. SW is about growing up. Just as Vader was Luke's bad father, Obiwan is Anakin's bad father, b/c he is unwilling to let Anakin become a full man (even though he is not the kind of nightmare father that Vader is to Luke.) Also, Obiwan is Luke's good father. The way Obiwan's and Anakin's relationship fits into ANH is a lot better than it would have been if it was all hearts and daisys at the beginning.

>>>>The podrace was just rediculous<<<<<

HOw was it rediculous? Pods going 400 miles per hour. I am sorry but that is awsome!!! The SW version of Nascar.

What other ways could he have shown Anakin being strong with the force? He had to do it as subtley as possible. He couldnt have him just blatantly use it to pick something up.

And why do people hate 3p0 being built by Anakin? I think that was an awesome idea!!! Oh the irony!!! Also, it creates that idea of larger hands of fate at work when he has the same relationship with Anakin's son.

I also dont understand people's problems with Midiclorians. The OT always implied that part of using the force is genetic. Plus, it still takes skill and hardwork to be able to use the force, b/c you have to quiet your mind in order to hear the midiclorians speaking to you. You have to master your mind. Sort of like the way you do in Zen. (Which is not easy to do. THe mind is very powerful, and is hard to get control of it. The mind does not want to be controlled.) Plus, the midiclorians gives it that demigod feel. Mythological heroes are demigods with incredible powers that an ordinary person does not have.

3. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    The prequels are good b/c they are correct, and they just work. I know that sounds like an odd thing to say, but that is what it basically boils down to. NOne of the rewrites I have read are as good as the real prequels in my opinion. THey just dont feel right. THey dont feel STARWARSian, nor are they Lucasian.

4. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Whether you like the PT or not, fan ideas are nearly all uniformly abysmal.

I sympathise with those who don't think the PT is as good as the OT. I think it's pretty good but not on the same level, but I don't understand the bile and hatred directed towards George Lucas by Star Wars fans.

Never forget whose inspiration the OT was. Take the PT or leave it, but don't constantly badmouth Lucas! Any crime he could ever commit is surely to b forgiven in the light of ANH and ESB!

You know it makes sense!

5. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Greedo shooting first...now that's unforgivable. [face_mischief]

And some of those fan ideas you disdain are pretty good. Discounting them because they didn't flow from GL's pen?

6. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    As far as I can divine, most fan ideas for the PT tended to revolve around armies of Mandalorian supercommandos hovering around cloud city on jetpacks.

What a very bad idea.

7. Deuspater

Deuspater Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2003
    My thoughts exactly, topgoalscorer. People need to realize that just because an idea is different, that does not mean it is bad. How in the world could GL satisfy the various desires of the fanboy community? From all the fanfics you see just on this site, it's obvious we all have very different ideas, which could never be synthesized into a single concept. People have the right to not like the movies, true, but I think it is a bit arrogant to think that they could write and direct a movie better than a man who is a professional in the business. When I read recently that George Lucas actually received death threats from disgruntled fans, I couldn't believe it. There are some sick people in this world.

8. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    Despueter, are you serious about the death threats? Man, I didnt think it was THAT bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.