main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Things need to start moving forward.

Discussion in 'Archive: Midlands and Wales' started by Happy Ninja, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I wouldn't worry too much if this board is getting a little slow or if there arent many interesting threads at this time

Up until about a month back FFLondon was the same
    I thought at one point I was going to have to hold it up single handed, but now everyone is back.

I think its just the time of year, not everyone can post all of the time, and if theres nothing serious to discuss then just enjoy posting in the random threads. After all the regional forum has loads of pointless topics that people seem to love posting in.

As for leadership, I dont know how well Mark has done since I'm not a Midlander and dont really post in most threads here apart from the pub (which I think is generally very active, though not quite as much as the regional pub)

Also, FFMidlands is lucky in the fact that it has a wider range of people posting here. You have Americans from your twin chapter posting here a lot and you have regular posters such as myself and Jimbo who aren't even Midlanders.

I wouldn't worry too much, you do meet-ups and have a lot of good ideas and function much better then any other chapter in FFUK.

But you can ignore me, I'm not a member of this chapter so my input is not that important

2. elelith

elelith Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    I know I havn't been aroud for a long while and that I've probably ceased to even blip on the radar, however I have noticed an increase in good topics but a decrease in good replys.

It looks like everyone has just stopped trying. I think that as well as instigating more rules everyone just needs to have a good think about their chapter and post what they think is a good post, otherwise it's not really worth us having a chapter if we can't be bothered......

Well that's what I think, we should make more of an effort or none at all.

3. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    rightly or wrongly, i am going to take this as though it is aimed at me, because it is usually me who moans about these "non serious threads".

my moan about these threads (and it is not all of them, just a few that seem ridiculous) stems from a comment a while back that newcomers to the boards in general take a look round (lurking), and think that what they see is a load of clap trap and are put off getting involved. we come up with ideas at meets and so on that don't seem to be acted on (all of us are at fault here, and as mark and martin have said we are in this together), and serious stuff that needs doing just gets forgotten about or left by the wayside. people who would like to get involved take a look at the boards and don't see any "seriousness" amongst the sheer crap that gets posted up here. read the regional pub thread for the literal antithesis of my viewpoint. there is nothing anywhere that tells strangers about who we are or what we do, and they will read the most popular threads (the ones at the top of the boards) and think wth? is this what we want? possible new members being put off by crap? the users who are regulars will get the "in jokes" and stuff, but there is nothing anywhere to welcome new people.

perhaps some more stickies are in order, including a new "welcome new users" thread on the regional board, as the one there at the moment is horribly out of date.

4. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    IMHO it's a fine line, what newbie wants to come here and see entirely serious threads and worry about not being able to put the level of commitment in that's obviously well thought of?

After all when you guys came here nothing was all that serious anywhere... back in the day when I joined up there was NOTHING at all serious apart from a few BBQ's certainly didn't put me off or the influx of newbies around my time (yoshee, Stoney-wan-kenobi etc)

TF.n for me has always been somewhere for me to come and talk to likeminded people about lots of things and I don't necesarily want to go to every meetup and some newbies might not want to meet up at all!

The FF-UK has always been a more social, chatty place to come and I wouldn't like to see it turn into a completely serious place because for me, I'd be out of here like a shot if I'm perfectly honest :)

Like I say, it's a fine line and things like this need addressing but without making the chapter forums private you're going to get people wandering in from time to time and talking about off topic stuff after all it's part of getting to know your fellow posters before you go meet them.

5. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    i agree. i don't want the place to become overly serious, but by the same token i think there should be serious stuff floating around too. the regional chapters are real life groups as well as online communities, and as such should have more to offer than banter.

if i have sounded ridiculous in my posts in this thread, or like some kind of headmaster then i am sorry. as has been pointed out to me in another thread, this place is about opinions and debating these, and all i have put down is my opinion. if i am alone with this opinion then will anybody really care?

EDIT: perhaps i am just struggling to type what i am trying to explain? i do actually enjoy a laugh and a crack as much as the next person ;)

6. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    Gee, it'd be boring if none of us had an opinion, that's what developing is all about and from time to time there is going to be things where people quite obviously sit on opposing sides of the fence but all of us are above the stupid bickering that goes on on other boards and are adult enough to debate things and come to a compromise.

I think our home away from home (the other board I'm working on with Phil) may be a place to instigate a set of fresh rules wrought by the talks from this chapter. Perhaps by restricting 'chat' and pubs to the General forums only and making the official chapter forums a slightly more structured area?

Would this be of interest?

I mean tell me to bugger off if you think I'm interfearing but the new messageboard will be your home too hopefully and I want to develop it in a way that caters to as many needs as possible.

I can if needed restrict the people entering each chapter forum... is that a good idea do you think??

7. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Bugger Off Nic . . . . . . . . . well you did ask !

I seem to remember talking with Phill and Mark about this very subject some time ago, I'm not sure that a new board would change much to be honest but having a more defined set of rules might have the desired effect. I do however think that certain threads, such as meet threads should be 'Sticky' allowing people to see what's going on and when without having to trawl through the rest of the threads.

After some discussion it would seem that Lord Wiz has volunteered to put together a 'Collectors Page' for the new web site Nic ;)

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    FWIW my comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular. This is an impression I've formed over the months this board has been up, and I don't remember who posted what to give me this opinion. My comment was written to give Welshguy some backup in that he is not the only person who has come to this conclusion.

My answer would be to all this "So what if there's silly threads. That's who we are. That's what we do here". Why pretend to be something we're not. Are we gonna be like people who buy "A Brief History of Time" just to look smart?

This is not to say we're idiots, and spend all our time pissing about. Of course that's not the case. But we must still be free to be ourselves here. Otherwise what's the point?

I'm in the Midlands and I wanna join in some of the RL stuff. But I get to know people through "silly" threads. I don't wanna sit through pages and pages of "Getting to know you" threads. I get to know people by chatting to them through all manner of threads.

If you look through the "serious" threads, you'll see that a lot of people can seem like arses. (THIS IS NOT AIMED AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR). You saw my opinions on all that bureaucracy that surrounded that first meet. Is THAT how you want people to see us? Guys and gals who like Star Wars but would rather debate about whether to charge people for banners??

When you date someone, hoe do you find out about them? By going for a meal and CHATTING with them about all manner of things. That's what a local board should be like. Yes, we may have private jokes. But that's just the nature of it. If I go to one of my missus' work parties, I have to get to know people there. THAT'S LIFE!. I join in with them, get to know them, make my own contributions, and then we get on great. They don't pander to other people to make sure everyone acts accordingly to give the impression they're something they're not. They simply act as they are. If people like it, great. If they don't then ok - probably best to realise that earlier on than later on.

At the end of the day, this is ONLY an internet forum. People come here because they like Star Wars. They don't come here to form friendships of people in the same area. That's merely an added bonus.

Why should we change who we are in order to change what this board is about?

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    =D=

Thats exactly what I was gonna say :p

10. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    I thought these chapters should be best used for meets and pics etc- any MAIN topics that everyone can join in should be on the main board imo - silly or serious. Personally I abhor silly threads! [face_whistling] Main threads should be on the general one eg the happy birthday thread for Veritas in here! Surely that should have been on the main board for us all to contribute to as we ALL know her (not all personally though) and would have liked to have said happy birthday at the time. I very rarely read the chapter sections as they are ALL generally boring (no offense :p ).

11. Tay-Mar

Apr 4, 2005
    Quite right Hal, it is what we do on these boards.

That's fine, I'm all for forming relationships with fellow members, I will however warn you that what you get on these boards isn't always what you'll get in RL.

Two points on this one my friend, it wasn't our first meet, please try to keep up in future. We all want to sit and talk about Star Wars but this forum is the online face of what we do and some of these things have to be discussed, that's what we all signed up for when we started this chapter.

Sorry Hal I couldn't disagree with you more on this one, after the event we were at this weekend this chapter is so much more than an online forum, some of the people that post in here have put a great deal of time, effort and money in to making this chapter what it is and what it will become.

I have a great deal of respect for you and your opinions Hal, you're an intelligent person with a good sense of reality and humour, it would be great to see you at one of our meets but please don't pass judgment on what we do before you've been there and done it.

These boards are a communication tool, they allow members to post to their hearts content, within reason but they are also a place where meets can be arranged, details ironed out for events and other matters that need to be discussed to keep this chapter moving forward. I have no problems with members of these boards that just want to use them as an online social thing but they are also here for those that are part of the RL side of the chapter, the side that's on show to the public, the side that goes out and bangs the Fan Force drum, we're all part of this community lets not start tearing it up because we have different opinions on what it's all about.

12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Oh trust me, I will get to a meet, sooner rather than later. I had the pleasure of Phill's company the other week and we got on great. I'd like nothing more than to return the favour

I think my point on FF-UK being a Star Wars internet board with friendships and meet-ups being bonuses is a valid one. If we get more members through SW events such as the one yesterday, then that's fantastic, and my hat goes off to all those who organise such events and campaigns.

But what drives those new people to these events? Do they go there because they want to find out about internet fora, or do they go because they like Star Wars? For the high majority, I would bet it's the latter. Finding out about FF-UK:M is another "added bonus".

You seem to take my comments personally. That is not the intention. I rarely make personal remarks about people here. I'm simply making observations as to the impressions that are given out as a whole, and voicing my opinions on said impressions.

If my impressions are wrong, then something should be sorted. If I get that impression, and it appears some others do as well, then a lot more people could get the same impressions and concerns. The question was raised as to why posting is not as high as it could/should be. I'm giving my opinion on why that is, that's all :)

13. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Where does the Midlands usually meet in RL (I keep thinking "Rebel Legion", but you mean "real life" right? :p )?

I have to meet Mark at some point in the near future, since we both shared an American agenda :p
    That and I know he is a cool bloke :cool:

14. Tay-Mar

Apr 4, 2005
    Hal I would never accuse you of making it personal, I think I know you better than that. You are right about the motivation people have for coming here and to certain events, I tend to think of it as a chicken and egg kind of arguement, people like Star Wars and they see what we're doing so they want to get involved with what we're doing because of Star Wars, the main theme of it all is our collective love of Star Wars and that shouldn't be ignored but we have the potential to be so much more.

15. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    this chapter is MUCH more than an internet chatroom. there are things that go on behind the scenes that casual observers don't get to see. phone calls, msn conversations, casual meets between members, general stuff that never makes it onto this board but never the less gives an input to this place and creates the friendships that have been born due to being around here.

because this chapter is a real life group, we have to deal with real life issues and serious stuff. we have the drive and potential to become so much more, but if we build on a foundation of quicksand we won't get very far. i would love to have everybody from the midlands turn up to a meet and see that it's not all doom and gloom boardroom stuff, because nothing could be further from the truth. we are still a fledgling group, but a real life flesh and blood group, and as such it is no good wondering round aimlessly with no direction. we need to have serious stuff AMONGST the chaos and general banter, so when push comes to shove, and we go to an event everyone knows what needs to be done, and casual observers can see that we know what we are doing.

the FF-UK:M is the most active chapter in the UK at the moment, we have had at least one meet a month since the idea first got bandied around, which was just after i joined. my 6th ever post was in a where are you from thread, and several pm's later i was more or less a member of this real life group. we have gone from strength to strength, through major disasters that could have been the end of it all, but we kept going and i just don't want to lose what we have all worked so damn hard to get going.

i still think that a welcome new users thread/sticky is a good idea, in order to let people know what we are and who we be, and what we do. start a new post a picture thread perhaps and keep it spam free (you know who you are :p ) so that everyone can see us and have event pics etc in there so they can see we actually get off our arses and DO stuff.

=D= @ TK. that's twice this week! :p

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm not saying you don't have to deal with serious stuff. I'm saying the impression is that that is ALL it is. If long standing members are concerned with this, then how will it look to new people?

17. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    once the serious stuff that is needed to be dealt with now is sorted, then chaos can reign supreme. all i was saying in my post here the other day (which bumped the thread) was that things need to be dealt with ASAP. it just feels to me at the moment that we haven't gone anywhere since mark returned from the wilderness. now this is not a dig at mark because real life does get in the way, and perhaps we should all have taken up the reigns, which was all i was prompting by the post i refer to above.

once this is sorted, it won't have to be dealt with again for a good while, and then the board can do what it does best, being a good laugh. perhaps this serious stuff could have and should have been sorted ages ago.

mark and phill and verity are still at the NSC, and i really would like their input on this, but until at least tomorrow we won't hear from them. as mark and phill are the people who run this show (mark on this board and phill over the whole lot) it is their thoughts views and opinions that are really going to count, and if i am told to shut the hell up then so be it.

18. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    OK, I need to spend some time formulating thoughts on this, but first off a couple of points.

1) The Midlands Chapter boards exist because of the real world group. Full stop. Without the real world group, the boards would never have been created. The idea that the Midlands Chapter boards are an INTERNET ONLY entity is wrong. Yes, the main Regional Board is an Internet function, and exists to offer an informal, fun place to chat, meet, etc. This local board is here for the use of the Chapter to allow them to plan for meetings, talk about what they are doing. They have a social aspect too, hence threads like the pub thread, and the active welcome of people not part of the Chapter.

2) In answer to Tay-Mar's query on whether a new board would make a difference. The new boards are much more controllable, and will be there for the more serious discussion that is being looked for from an organisational viewpoint of the real world group. That leaves these boards for the more social aspect of chatting, and for the announcement of events etc that have been arranged through the other place. Since we have much more control over the new boards, it will facilitate the processes required for the future of the group.

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    A good point, Jairen. I would like to stress that I don't consider it to be "INTERNET ONLY" but you are of course correct in saying that this particular board exists because of the real world group :)

20. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    we have met up all over the midlands. when we agree on a time and place for a meet there is a thread posted, and we are always open to suggestions, and "visits" from anybody who wants to come along :) . we do try to meet somewhere where it is fairly easy for us all to get to, and there is usually plenty of notice given so that arrangements can be made for people to get to the meet etc.

has the christmas dinner one gone by the wayside? if not then that will be the december meet, if it has then we need to start thinking about a new meet idea for december. as it stands, memorabilia will be our next meet, (short notice i know) it is next saturday at the nec in birmingham. the more the merrier!

21. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    i would like to point out that before i meet these guys i posted, what 5 times if that. we met up. some had seen each other before. i am only 16 and in a way i had the hardest time to get to the meet.
    ever since then this board for me hasnt been Internet Only. these are real people with real goals.

we have moved a great deal from out first meet and i think now we are starting to sort things out we are gathering pace especially since we have started to do conventions.

the only thing that is slowing us down is pointless debates in commitiees like these. This board is different things to different people. for some its a way to talk to others without phoning them etc. for others its a way of talking about star wars AND OTHER STUFF like harry potter, LOTR etc.

we are actually doing so well we have people coming in from other groups because they think we could be better.

and if anything threads like this arnt helping to get new people in because all they can see is people bickering.

SO lets please stop this and form together and one internet/real life community!!!!

22. Tay-Mar

Apr 4, 2005
    /me pats Dave on the back

Well said young man, here have a banana. No I agree 100% with you Dave things are moving on and we need to keep this momentum going. The feelings I got watching those kids with the lightsabers, the way their faces lit up when you agreed to sign autographs for them, I've only ever felt that way twice before and that was while looking at my kids when they were born, there really is no other feeling like making someones day. It's a drug and it's so good, it should be against the law.

23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Hmmm, a thread appears to have been deleted on the board.

24. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    which thread?

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Nyeh, it doesn't matter. Don't wanna start a fuss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.