main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Rumor is that Ursa is going to be a villainess in the movie. Can't we just move past the Zod, Ursa, Non storyline? Why not delve into something more interesting like Darkseid or Brainiac?

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    To right, but they say audiences will not take an alien android or an alien god seriously. But a man with only half his body burned or a man dressed like a clown are still perfectly realistic, as is a man with a giant head fighting Green Lantern.

3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Green Lantern, judging by the trailer, is going for a semi-comedic approach, so it can still fly. And Two-Face in TDK got only half his face burned because he landed in a pit of gas with his head to the side. His body was not burned at all, except the neck. And the Joker is a sociopath so that he dresses the way he does and paints his face like a clown is not really a stretch. Just another part of his sick humour I would say, just like the way he does party tricks where he makes pencils disappear into people's skulls.

But I think Two-Face's burns were done too excessive to be believable. With burns like that I think his brain would have fried and he'd be dead, not to mention that his eye would have burned too, given that his eyelids have burned away. How can the eyelids burn away without the eye taking damage? And although I'm no expert on this, I don't think those 2-3 seconds where he's on fire would produce as severe burns as that.

4. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I don't think Green Lantern will be any more comedic than Iron Man, which seems to be what their trying to channel with it. Green Lantern is going to be the deciding point for future DC films, if it does well they will be more likely to give us different characters and villains. I mean if they can make Hector Hammond, Sinestro, or Star Sapphire realistic then they have no excuse not to do Brainiac or Darkseid. If Green Lantern does bad or only mediocre were just going to get Zod/Lex for the occasional Superman movie, while they just keep putting out a Batman movie every 3 years.

Though the fact that they are already working on a script for Green Lantern 2 gives me a lot of hope. 2011-2012 will be make or break years for DC films.

5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Almost every superhero movie has a trailer that takes a comedic spin as a means of appealing to a wide audience. Only Batman hasn't gone there.

X-Men, Spider-man, Daredevil, FF, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Cap etc all have gone that route. GL isn't going to be anymore comedic than any of those movies were IMO. They are selling Ryan Reynolds to the masses while giving a taste of GL. That movie is going to be GL or I don't think Geoff Johns would be so stoked on it.

6. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah I'm thinking your right, I'm just really hoping this does well. I'm a huge DC fan and just recently I've become a real big Green Lantern fan.

7. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I've become a huge GL fan in the last 2 or 3 years myself. Never read him before. Then Geoff Johns' work won me over. Secret Origin is awesome and that is allegedly the basis for this movie. So there ya go. My only complaint about it is I don't like the organic look of the ring battery. I'm hoping that's how it looks until Hal can give it a more traditional look that's all Earth-man lantern. I'm okay with that being how Abin-Sur's battery looks, but I'd love for it to change with the wearer or when the ring slinger figures out how to morph it into a shape more fitting for his world and taste. Kind of like the pocket universe thing they use to be able to retrieve their batteries when they need to charge the ring.

And on that note, if Superman can use some of the really good Superman origin comics that have come out in the last 20 years or so it's going to be fantastic. If we take from Byrne's Man of Steel and from Birthright I'll be a happy camper. I'd say Secret Origin, but I think on that one Geoff Johns is so beholden to Richard Donner's and Christopher Reeves' films that it's little different in my eyes than either of those movies. Just with the added bonus of Parasite and Metallo in the mix.

8. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Also does anyone know if Superman has any stand out stories like Batman's 'Year One' 'Long Halloween' 'Dark Victory'? I've wanted to get into Superman but I've never heard of any big stories to start with.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Though I haven't read it, when I ran my store, people always raved/recommended "Red Son", but that's an alternate universe story, so it's not much help into getting into the regular comics.

JMS recently did some Superman stories, which I intend to pick up shortly since his runs on Spider-Man and Thor were amazing, as was Supreme Power (which utilized Justice League-like characters) and, of course, Babylon 5.

I know one of his Superman stories was an "Earth One" graphic novel (which he'll be doing sequels to) but I think that was a reboot-style AU also. However, I believe he did work on the normal Superman line (or one of the titles teaming Superman with someone else).

I'm sure someone else can provide more helpful recommendations, though.

10. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks, I've got some of the Superman/Batman graphic novels and they are pretty good.

11. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
  12. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    ^You need to read John Byrne's Superman: The Man of Steel. That was Superman's Year One. Literally, happened right around the same time as a retcon for the aftermath of Crisis on Infinite Earths. Superman: Birthright is another good origin retelling. Same with Geoff Johns' Superman Secret Origins.

I'm really not that into Superman because I see Batman as a far more interesting and compelling character, but Superman can be interesting.

13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks I'll look into those.

14. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    So... Diane Lane - Martha Kent.

15. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Begins humming 'Superman's mom has got it going on' :p

16. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I'm not sure I want to see another Superman film, especially after being very dissapointed with SR. We'll see, however - it will depend on the story/casting.

17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Costner has been announced as Jonathan Kent.

Also, GenAntilles. I forgot a Superman comic for you. Since you like Loeb and Sale's Batman work... Superman For All Seasons. Loeb and Sale.

18. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Not sure what to think about Kevin Costner. He's a great actor, but I would think he might take some of the spotlight. They must be planning on having Johnathan and Martha having a larger role in the movie.

And thanks for the recommendation Dawud786, I'll look into that. I've been thinking about getting some of the new ones about the war of the kryptonians, if I like those I may go back and get more.

19. DX6channel

DX6channel Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2010
    Amy Adams cast as Lois Lane.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=75639

What do you guys think?

20. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I like it, I think she'll do fine.

21. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    I agree. Amy Adams will be a great Lois Lane.

So far I've been impressed by the casting. I really liked Cavill in The Tudors. I don't mind the Costner or Lane decisions and I think picking Adams is an excellent call by the producers.

22. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    It was announced today that the villain for The Man of Steel will be General Zod. I'm glad they went this route instead of Lex again.

Also Michael Shannon will be playing the role. If you've seen Boardwalk Empire he's Agent Van Alden. Based on that performance he can pull of part of being a cold psycho. Pic is below to put a face with a name.

[image=http://nerdsoftheroundtable.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/michael-shannon.jpg]

23. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    I'm glad they went with Man of Steel for the title. I've seen Shannon in a few films but nothing recent nor have I seen Revolutionary Road or Boardwalk Empire. I'm sure he'll be excellent as Zod, though I'd like a different villain than any of those already portrayed on screen.

24. DX6channel

DX6channel Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2010
    What do you think; should they use the John William's Superman theme or go with something else?

25. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Something new. They are trying to set this production apart, and with Zod and now Ursa rumored too.... they've already got people saying they are just rehashing Superman II.

Now, if they were to show Zod bringing havoc to Krypton and Jor-El battling with him and Zod causing Krypton's destruction(which they are saying isn't going to look like the crystal Krypton of Donner, but more like Coruscant) they could easily pave thew way for truly epic power battles between Superman and Zod on Earth.