main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TOS] Is it against the TOS to

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Rogue_Ten, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Really. Is it? Not that I'd want to. I'm just bored and would like to know the opinions of some high ranking MODs.

2. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    Jawohl!

I don't see a problem with it.

Otherwise it would be agains tos to bow toyour past presidents.

They are just previous political leaders, even if some had less than perfect backgrounds.

3. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Rise_Of_Thrawn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    I think it would depend on how it is done. If someone did it in a thread discussing something about the Jewish faith, it would definitely be offensive (well, more insensitive, I suppose). However, in the purely political and serious stance (as in, someone seriously supports Hitler's ideas), I don't see that it could be moderated.

Even though free speech isn't entirely allowed here, I think that political affiliation and personal beliefs should not be moderated as long as they are posted in a respectful manner.

4. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    If someone came into a Jewish discussion thread and started praising hilter, that would be pretty much trolling.

We've had threads in JCC praising Hilter before. No matter what he did, he was an incredible speaker and persuasive leader, and it's simply stunning how much he accomplished, and how quickly.

If a user started praising "the final solution" and saying he wished if could be attempted again, that's totally inappropriate, IMO.

Did that help? :p

If you just mean, can someone put Heil Hilter in their sig or something, I don't really think there's much we can do about that, but i could be wrong.

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I don't see how it would be against anything to support Hitler or any other extravagant idealist.

6. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I don't see anything wrong with it, unless the person was deliberately trying to stir up trouble by posting it, as in the trolling example that was mentioned.

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Thanks. I don't seriously want to Heil Hitler. I just kind of have him on the brain because I just got the DVD of Snide and Prejudice, an excellent but little known black comedy about a mental patient who believes he is Adolf Hitler, and a Jewish Psychotherapist who believes that staging important events from Hitler's life will help cure the patient. To do this, actors and hospital staff, as well as other mental patients, are brought in to portray important figures in Hitler's life.

The whole idea of the film came from Eva Braun's home movies, which capture Hitler's more vulnerable, "human" side, (Hitler Around the Home, if you will). Director Phillipe Mora's message was, basically, if you don't recognise that Hitler was an actual person, you won't see the next one coming.

What a great film!

But I digress. Anyways, I just kind of had Hitler on the brain and was bored, so I thought I'd ask...

Thanks for indulging my question. :)

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, I'd say it would be moderated within context. As a standalone phrase it's merely curious why anyone would want to do it, but not entirely forbidden (unless the owners tell us otherwise, of course). Basically, it could be an Indiana Jones quote, and they're partly Lucas-films, which, as you might have noticed, are a topic of discussion on these boards now and again ;)

Besides, personally, I'm pretty annoyed by the German history anyway, so throw it around all you want (if I had say over this, which I don't)

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    As resident "outspoken Jew mod" here are my thoughts:

In signatures, if we ban "I hate France" there's no reason not to ban "Heil Hitler" as it's just as offensive.

In posts, I agree with the moderate at the post level -- but there are so few instances where you could squeeze it in "in context" that I don't really know where it wouldn't be baiting or trolling. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it'd likely be more in line within the Senate where you probably could have an appropriate discussion about Hitler and the heils and the whatnot.

On the other hand: any discussion of The Passion of the Jew and Cartman's final solution is comedy gold!

10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    This is definitely one of those things that has to be determined in each case. I can't see a lot of reasons to post it or ways to post it that won't incite problems. So the answer is it's okay to use depending on the situation, thread, context, and overall direction of the thread.

11. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    On a related topic, is it ok (hypothetically) for someone to put in their signature something along the lines of "Praise Lord Satan!"?

Just a thought I've had for a while now and this seems like a good place to bring it up.

12. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I suppose it would be, though I don't agree. We allow sigs that claim Jesus as their Savior.

13. Darth_Michael

Darth_Michael Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2002
    I'd say, when uttered as a political statement it is rather extrem. But then, afaik it is not forbidden to wave Nazi flags in the US is it?

But there are european nations where this is forbidden (Austria for isntance). But then this board is hostet in the US, so. I gueass Nazis would get shunted and flamed anyway in this board.

And I personally. I would just think it unappropriate for Nazis to show up.

14. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    I really don't see much point in dissallowing anything anyone says as long as it's not (as said) trolling, baiting, or obviously intentionally provoking.
    Think about it... Why would someone blantly come out with "Heil Hitler", totally out of context with any conversation unless they were intending to provoke?
    In other words, it's pretty easy to tell when it's okay to say it and when it's not. Case in point. How many times has it been said in this thread?

Now, I wasn't aware that there was any restrictions of what you could put in your signature. If I were a Satanist (which I'm not), I certainly should be able to have "Praise Satan" in my sig. Why not?

15. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I say it's freedom of speech in limits of TOS. As long as TOS boundaries aren't broken then it should be fine. Of course if someone flames a poster either by post or PM about Sieg Heil or Heil Hitler, then that's a problem.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I say it's freedom of speech in limits of TOS. As long as TOS boundaries aren't broken then it should be fine. Of course if someone flames a poster either by post or PM about Sieg Heil or Heil Hitler, then that's a problem.

Please do not confuse the issue: there is no "freedom of speech" as it relates to a private corporation enforcing standards. We are not the government! :)

17. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    If it's in jest or dropped in a historical context, leave it be. If said seriously, that user should be watched overtly for any signs of discrimination or harrassment and if he starts in an Ubermensch policy, I say censure or ban.

We don't need Nazis in here. Freedom of Speech? This is a private internet message board. It doesn't exist.

18. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    I think having "Heil Hitler" in a sig would be offensive and certainly would be considering baiting to Jewish members of the board.
    I've seen the Nazi flag edited out of posts, why wouldn't that phrase be edited out of sigs or posts?

19. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    This is really an extreme case we are discussing here. I obviously think Nazis are peckerheads too. And I don't want to see their symbolism around here. But, censoring them is still wrong.

If someone wants to display that they are... So be it. I say let the community take care of them.

It reminds me of my music days. We'd be playing on stage in south Jersey (lots of Nazi skinheads there). My bass player was a black guy. The Nazis would stand there with there hands up pointing at him.
    In about 4 seconds, the rest of the crowd would take them outside and beat the daylights out of them.

And that's the way it should be. If you want to be contraversial, then you'd better be prepared to defend yourself.

20. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    And I don't want to see their symbolism around here. But, censoring them is still wrong.

Um, so any racism should be allowed?

And that's the way it should be. If you want to be contraversial, then you'd better be prepared to defend yourself.

No because its also baiting, and that isn't allowed.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This is really an extreme case we are discussing here. I obviously think Nazis are peckerheads too. And I don't want to see their symbolism around here. But, censoring them is still wrong.

There's no censorship here other than corporate censorship.

Why?

Because we're not the government imposing rules; we're a private organization with our own list of enforced norms.

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    I must admit, dp, I was waiting for your reply from the moment I posted this thread. [face_mischief]

Maybe the Oldbies can help me with this: didn't there used to be a poster around here who used to be very active in YJCC and would post Nazi propaganda and pictures of himself in a Hitler mustache and SA garb? This would have been back in the day when I was a newbie and used to post pretty much only in the Lit Forum.

23. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Personally I donn't think anyone would complain if you made a very specifically worded rule against Nazi-ism. As long as you are concise, clear, and don't leave wiggle room, the only people who are going to complain are...well, Nazis.

You could probably do this for the Klan as well.

24. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    I must admit, dp, I was waiting for your reply from the moment I posted this thread.

Really? Interesting. I didn't think anyone around here even knew me.

Well... Anyway...
    All I'm saying is that intolerable behaviour will be dealt with by the community at large. I don't see that there is a need for a policy.
    The analogy of my band days is a perfect example. The club didn't ban the Nazis. It let the people handle it on their own. And, I never saw a problem with that.

In addition to this, there are very clear terms of service as illustrated before that would obviously be violated regardless of any particular new ruling. So, there's no need for it.

My thinking is, that if you outrightly make a rule, it will just give people an excuse to rebel. If you let the masses handle it, it will never be a problem anyway.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I must admit, dp, I was waiting for your reply from the moment I posted this thread.

With you posting, I figured you would be... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.