main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM is "winning" IMDB's Worst Star Wars Film survey. WHY?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by BattleDroid1138, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Yeah, they also happen to have jobs in the printed media, film and television industry, and in the net news business. So much for the "haters" being relegated to the "building websites and constructing polls," aye? [face_mischief]

Now that I think about it..."gushers" don't really exist beyond this forum...and with the ghost "fans" out there who "love" the movie but never make themselves visible, I think it's more of a case of projecting onto the "bashers." Maybe all their rhetoric about the movie being good is an effort to keep themselves convinced of it. :D

2. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    I guess that $924,500,000 we poured in Geroge's pockets to see the film must make us the world's richest minority ;)

3. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Pretty sad, isn't it? Investing so heavily into such a shoddy product. [face_mischief]

I don't blame you. I'd try to convince everyone it was good too if I wasted so much money on a dud like TPM; anything to make myself feel better for losing money I can never get back on something that's so subpar. Oh well. :p

4. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    So is this the reason the haters extoll ESB above the other films? [face_thinking]
    Personally, I don't feel short changed by Empire - although it's not directed by Lucas, it's still got his fingerprints all over it, and is a worthy addition ot the Saga :)

5. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    McDonald's sells a lot of burgers... that doesnt make them good.

coming up next: the anti-star wars media conspiracy will be blamed for inflating the numbers on the IMDB poll. hoards of evil critics and paid-off magazine editors voted on the poll to make TPM look bad so they would look "cool".

6. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    Some of the critics are fair-minded enough to watch the movie the right way, but a lot of them are too wrapped up in themselves to be able to understand Lucas' vision.

And that McDonald's idea is valid - just look at the amount of cash those dreadful ring movies raked in - movie junk food if ever there was ;)

7. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    So is this the reason the haters extoll ESB above the other films?
    Personally, I don't feel short changed by Empire - although it's not directed by Lucas, it's still got his fingerprints all over it, and is a worthy addition ot the Saga

If that includes the "evil" media and filmmakers that feel compelled to reference it when they can, if it'll help you sleep, by all means. Unlike the "phantom fans" who are claimed to exist, we can actually SEE the acceptance of ESB. ;)

And that McDonald's idea is valid - just look at the amount of cash those dreadful ring movies raked in - movie junk food if ever there was

I dunno about the Ring movies, but if you want Movie Junk Food, the Prequels have all the calories you want, and half as filling. Who are we kidding? Where else can we have a water-squirting Anakin Skywalker squeeze toy included with a Kids Meal at Burger King? ROTS is LITERALLY movie junk food. (As I recall, Lucas was one of the first to make a fast food tie-in on HUGE levels with TPM, talk about a junk food movie!) ;)

8. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    Just as we can actually see the acceptance of the newer films by the public at large ;)

I've only ever met 2 people who didn't care for TPM :)

9. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    And made up all the ones that do? ;)

10. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    No, just collected their e-mail addresses so we can continue to share our love of all things Star Wars even when we're in different parts of the world :)

11. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    So they "exist" on the net? Surprise, surprise! [face_laugh]

12. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    I meet them in real life, and when they move on, we stay in contact :)

(I work at a youth hostel, so there's always new people to meet and talk to - and there are always plenty of guests from all over the world who are Star Wars fans, who I get chatting with - it's cool :D )

13. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Cute scenario. ;)

14. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    Here's my place of work:

www.hostelbedandbreakfast.com

Come and visit sometime - we'll try and make you welcome [face_mischief]

15. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    I just might take you up on that offer if I'm ever in the neighborhood. ;)

16. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    It's worth it for the chicks alone ;)

17. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    You said it, my good man! :p

18. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    Mmmmm...Sweden [face_love]

;)

19. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
  20. Onnie

Onnie Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    Loco!

Just a quick hi'ya's! I'm trying to get caught up but, had to stop in and say... the kid who did "I see dead people," could of done better with died hair to a blond. ;)

--Onnie

21. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    "TPM is "winning" IMDB's Worst Star Wars Film survey. WHY?"

Because it sucked. Thanks for playing!

22. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    So is all worthwhile discussion now gone from this thread?

23. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Yes. Please lock it.

24. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Loco!

:D

Just a quick hi'ya's! I'm trying to get caught up but, had to stop in and say... the kid who did "I see dead people," could of done better with died hair to a blond.

Yeah because the "I see dead people" kid has this weird and way-out technique. It's called ACTING. We all know Lucas wouldn't know what to do with talented actors, we've seen it so far, but it would have been nice for the character of Anakin. ;)

25. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Please

Haley: "Are...sniff sniff...you an...sniff sniff..angel?"

Haley is a "good" actor, don't get me wrong....but Anakin Skywalker, he is not, 'by a longshot'.

Jake had his moments of mediocreness (but then again, so did harrison ford...mark hamill..ewan mcgregor..ian mcdiarmid) but he more than exceeded in the more 'important' scenes ("will i ever see you again?")

And now you're suprised that people who like TPM "exist on the net"?

it's 2004, who doesn't "exist on the net" if having a email-address means just that

'bashers' exist on the net, critics exist on the net, 'gushers' exist on the net - i think the only person in the world who doesn't exist on the net is George Lucas :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.