main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syra, NY Trade Federation Cantina

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Viceroy_NuteGunray, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Did you see me, Jawa? I was part of the onlookers who get the coins and food scraps thrown by you graduates. ;)

I was in Melbourne in New Years, how was everyone elses?

Here's a hint: don't spend the extra money to fly Qantaslink from Melbourne to Launceston, go Jetstar or even better go Virgin. If you do, you get a tiny little plane with propellers (no, I am not kidding) so that when you land you sound like you're in a WWII airbattle.

2. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Thanks for the card, Amaya. By far it was the nicest I got this year.

3. JawaPro

JawaPro Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2006
    I didnt get an Chrissie cards this year - that's sad - but I hadnt thought about it until I read that post.

And no - I didnt see you. Apparently a lot of my friends were in the crowd and I didnt see any of them.

4. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    It was VERY crowded that day, my ceremony was smaller and the speech was much better.

5. Amaya_Unduli

Amaya_Unduli Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2005
    No probs Katana, glad you liked it. Thanks for your card!

Hello SAFFers! Come in a pull up a post, drinks are on the thread.

Well, the internet is still very slow, but at least I can get on again (dunno if you guys heard about the earthquake in southern China that killed the internet cables)

Sounds like everyone had a normal but pleasant Chrissie. Mine was weird. First Northern Hemisphere Christmas experience (and birthday, a few days later). Going to take some getting used to. The only positive I can think of is that after all the Chrissie meals (and birthday cake), you burn more calories keeping yourself warm and hence don't gain as much weight...Other than that, it kinda sucks.

Congrats on the graduations! What's next for you Viceroy?

How's the job hunting going, Katana?

6. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    It's so-so, I have to do some unpaid work now. Did you hear about the cricket Amaya? I watched the last day [face_dancing]

I'm seeing Viceroy later today, I know he's doing history honours next year though. He wants to focus on North Korea but Tom Dunning talkedx him into expanding the topic a bit more.

I want to do honours, but for me it's the First Crusade.

7. JawaPro

Feb 19, 2006
    You guys get interesting Honours courses.

For us its Advanced Computer Security and Advanced Mobile and Ubiqutous Computing and things like that.

I actually got a $5000 grant to go back and do honours - but I'm sick of uni, so its work for me from now own.

And I'm not being sarcastic - the First Crusade sounds a very interesting topic. I love history - I just cant remember it so I didnt do well when I studied it.

8. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Wish I got one of those :(

Basically with our thesis we pick a topic that interests us, though the thesis is not really until second semester. Too bad I'm not doing it until next year.

9. JawaPro

Feb 19, 2006
    Why not till next year?

I thought you'd graduated.

10. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I did, in August

But it's a question of $$$

11. JawaPro

Feb 19, 2006
    Ahh ok

That makes sense.

Good luck with it then and MTFBWY

12. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I applied for B Teaching the other day, I reckon I'll get an offer though. Looks like I'll be back!

13. Amaya_Unduli

Sep 13, 2005
    I just had an offer for B-Teach at Melb Uni, but as I am not going back I had to just let it lapse. I didn't get the info in time to defer (if I even could have, it seemed like you had to be there to do it).

So I have one more day of teaching and then I get two weeks off whilst my fiance finishes at his school and then we're off! I've never been to the UK before so I'm definitely looking forward to it. But something about spending your first year abroad in China makes everything else seem a little less...adventurous I guess.

Problem now is that the right of abode I should have been granted wasn't (because the Chinese visa section didn't know what they were doing and basically told me not to bother submitting what turns out to be a crucial document) So now I have to just get a tourist visa because there's no time to appeal the decision. That means that I won't be allowed to work until I can get the Right of Abode sorted out, which could take months. *Sigh*

Congrats on being invited to do honours, guys! I was just speaking to someone last night about the woes of doing one in a subjective field (as far as I'm concerned, history is pretty subjective!). I have advice on how to not get stung if anyone wants it ;)

BTW, did you get my card Viceroy? Just wondering how effective the Post system was this time...Oh, I am soooo looking forward professional handling of professional businesses....Grrr....Oh, and I didn't see the cricket, Katana. I only knew we'd won the ashes because my partner told me (he he! All his English friends were ribbing him for having to live with an Aussie when we'd just won the ashes!)

14. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I can say that Viceroy got your card, he told me himself. We went to see The Queen the other day.

As for your Visa, isn't that to be expectyed in a Communist county? ;)

Are you going to go to the Globe Threatre in London? ity's one of my ambitions to go there and see Hamlet or King Lear.

15. Amaya_Unduli

Sep 13, 2005
    Umm... Not sure what you meant by the visa thing, Katana. I think I might have written a confusing post anyway, because I was referring to the UK visa section that I was trying to get a right of abode from. Our China visas are currently being extended by a month to cover us until we leave for the UK.

Yes, I will (eventually) go to the Golden Globe. Dunno what I'll see though. In fact, I have a lot of places to go see. I've never been anywhere in Europe before, and with the EU, things are even more convenient!

I'm looking forward to meeting some new FF's. There's a group around Manchester who have recently agreed to meet once a month for curry (there's a lot of good curry in Manchester, according to my partner).

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Abd of course, there is the convention... [face_mischief]

I meant about China with the Visa thing, don't worr about that. There's a whole list of things I'd like to do in the uK. Like the Tate Gallery, the British Museum, Tintagel...awww, I wiah I was going. :(

17. Amaya_Unduli

Sep 13, 2005
    Geez, talk about all quiet on the Tassie front...

I'm here! (finally, after much kafuffle)

The flight was firstly delayed, then long and groan inducing. Alas, I had a seat in the middle of the middle row, thus it was cramped and I could see out of no window. I did however manage to see my first glimpses of Britain out one of the windows in the small hall.

When we finally landed in London (Heathrow) we rushed all the way to our connecting flight to Manchester, but we missed it anyway because I was 'detained' at immigration. The problem was that I didn't have a return ticket to Australia, and had recently applied for a right of abode, so it looked like I was trying to settle here and thus did not fit the criteria for a tourist visa.

It took some time and a lot of worry, but finally they agreed to grant me a six month visa *phew*!

Right now, Gary is looking for an IT job, and I'm having to wait to see where it will be before I can find some orchestras to play in and gynastics clubs to join. I'm not allowed to work until I get my right of abode sorted out, so that's my main concern for now.

Thus far, I've been into Sale, the local town, and into Manchester city. The whole experience is really interesting in ways that I didn't anticipate. For example, it's really weird to be in a foreign country but nobody can tell that I'm foreign (unless I talk), which is totally different from China and in a weird way I feel more exposed rather than less.

Then there's the overwhelming sense that I'm stuck inside a soap opera, because everyone talks funny and all the buildings are old and red brick and all the houses are semi-detatched (they're all symetrical, two-storey houses, but one family only lives in one half.

Anyway, enough from me, how's everyone else? Have you started your Honours yet, Viceroy?

18. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Are off an episode of The Bill by any chance? Or perghaps from Are You Being Served? ;)

Uni starts next week, he hasn't been online much. I'm meeting him tomorrow.

I did my teaching orientation today, we had to make this rocket that could move without being pushed or kicked, we set it up on a string, put it on an angle and let gravity do the work for us. We won. ;

Is it true what they say about taxis in London? About how they're so expensive?

19. Amaya_Unduli

Sep 13, 2005
    Still haven't quite pinned down which soapie it feels like...I guess it depends on what happens next. Heh, would be nice if I could find some spoliers, the not knowing part is a little hard. (I mean like, how my right of abode will go so I'll know how long it'll be before I'm allowed to get a job, when we'll have enough money to have the wedding etc...)

You'll have no problems getting straight HDs in Education, Katana, because from what I've heard making rockets and collages and role playing is pretty much all you do. Just think of it as a break from true academics and don't expect to be challenged in any way (that's what my friends found really frustrating about the B-Ed) Just thank your lucky stars that you don't have to do five years of it[face_worried]

Don't know about the taxi thing, I haven't actually seen any yet that I can think of. We just take the train or bus into Manchester and Sale is within walking distance. And then, I don't know how it would compare to London taxis. I expect that pretty much everything can be considered expensive there though!

20. --Azrael--

--Azrael-- Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2005
    If immigration here is anything to go by it took about 3-4 months for my temporary residency to go through before I was allowed to look for work. Not sure what the UK is like. But hey you might be able to hit Celebration Europe....... hmmmm celebration europe.....

*Starts looking for a reason to be sent to London for work*

Good luck over there

21. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    You'd have more luck being sent to Shanghai, Nick. And you still haven't answered my PM.

22. --Azrael--

Mar 8, 2005
    PM Oh hell sorry I didn't even notice. I'll reply shortly. as for a trip to London it's not as far fetched as you may think.

23. Amaya_Unduli

Sep 13, 2005
    Make sure you tell us if you do find a reason to be sent!

Went to Chester on Friday night and got back yesterday with a major hangover...eeehhhh....Guess I got too used to Chinese beer (it's v.weak)

24. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Was it warm? ;)

First day of uni today, haven't had class yet and I'm already tired.

Just re-read the Darth Bane book, it's FANTASTIC!

Have you heard about Stover's new novel out next year?

BTW, I just heard that CARRIE is going to be at C4! She's going to be VERY BUSY.

25. --Azrael--

Mar 8, 2005
    Does anyone have any plans to go to the One Man Star Wars show when he's down here? As a point of intrest if anyone is thinking of going along the mousedroid website is offering discounted tickets. Might be worth checking out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.