main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA trip up to Discovery Science Center to see Indiana Jones & the Adventure of Archaeology

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jawajames , Mar 1, 2013.

1. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    At the Feb meeting, we decided that the club trip would be on Saturday, March 23. Please RSVP here so that we can get a headcount of adults and children that would need tickets at the group rate!

Going:
    * James

Lord_Dubi likes this.
  2. Lord_Dubi

Lord_Dubi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
  3. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I'm going.

Lord_Dubi likes this.
  4. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    So far myself and Mitchell, I'll see if Sean and his girlfriend want to join us.

Lord_Dubi likes this.
  5. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    Going (as posted on this board):
    * James
    * Jacob
    * Brian
    * Donna & Mitchell

6. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    My roommate Harold says he would like to go as well.

7. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    Going (as posted on this board):
    * James
    * Jacob
    * Brian & Harold
    * Donna & Mitchell
    * Gary D. & Kyoko (from FB)
    * Amy B. (from FB)

Lord_Dubi likes this.
  8. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    bad news: the museum has changed its group policy minimums for weekend trips - they need at least 30 people to make a group rate discount and our contact wasn't able to get an exception made for us since we had visited in the past.

Brian: you mentioned something about coupons or other discounts for passes? how will that work? what's the discount?

9. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Adults and Kids are $19.95 ($5 off adult, $3 off children). Limit of 6 per coupon but I have a huge stack of coupons.

10. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    well, thats not that bad, and if we split $ on gas to carpool in groups, it's affordable...

11. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    Great! Those passes are for general admission + Indy admission, right?

What time to meet up at the Center / leave for carpooling up?
    Should we aim for opening again? The Discovery Science Center opens at 10:00 am on Saturday.

Also, check this out:
    http://www.discoverycube.org/race/
    We'll be there for Expedition #4!

12. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Yup. :)

Yeah, I'd say get there for opening again.

13. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Unfortunately I have to drop out. I had some unexpected expenses and I can't afford to do this anymore. Sorry. :(

14. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    oh no! Sorry to hear that, Donna!

carpool ideas: Gary & Kyoko pick up Jacob for the North County Inland group
    Brian & Harold pick up James for the central SD carpool group.

15. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Harold is going to already be up at L.A. visiting his mom. So he won't be carpooling. just me.

16. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    ok - so where do you want to meet up? who should drive?

17. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    We met at UTC last time. That worked out okay. :p
    Other than that, I would prefer not to drive, but I can. Though if I am driving I'd be tempted to go to Disneyland afterwards. :p

18. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe UTC for the south people and somewhere in escondido, like wal-mart for us up north?

19. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
  20. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    Lord_Dubi likes this.
  21. Dune_Sea_Hermit

Dune_Sea_Hermit Jedi Master star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    Nice photos! Thanks for sharing!

Was the wall from the Well of Souls featuring R2-D2 and C-3PO part of the exhibit?

22. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    Sadly no, but in one of the 'behind the scenes' video clips, they do talk about it and other SW references in the design of Indy (Club Obi-wan, R2 and threepio showing up again in the designs in the Akator throne room)

23. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    Brian & Jacob,
    I contacted the exhibition company and they said that they are working on an exhibition book - and to check back with them in a few months!

After thinking about why Last Crusade only had two display blocks, I started looking at photos from the exhibition's other stops (Montreal, Canada; Valencia, Spain) and found that they had several display sections that Santa Ana didn't have (most likely for space reasons):

* Raiders of the Lost Ark: Tanis - a large sarcophagus prop from the Well of Souls, as well as concept art and costume designs.
    * Last Crusade: Utah - The Cross of Coronado, Indy's Boy Scout hat and Eagle Scout medal, as well as the circus train whip, Henry's glasses, watch and pen, and the manuscript he was copying from.
    * Kingdom of the Crystal Skull : Cemetery - the gilded mask of Orellana, as well as the full burial shroud/remains of Orellana and the knife that was found to cut the wrappings open, some concept art.

I'm most bummed that the third Last Crusade block wasn't part of the exhibition we saw - After all, the Cross of Coronado BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!

Lord_Dubi and DarthBrian like this.
  24. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    If only they would open a museum solely dedicated to the Lucasfilm Archives...

25. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    Lord_Dubi likes this.