main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Trisha Biggar book "Dressing a Galaxy: the Costumes of Star Wars"

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Woofer, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Eep! I hope my book doesn't fall apart - it makes that creaking sound too when I look through it. It's laying flat in my closet at the moment (I've read it about 4 times lol). Nice, not to humid, and cool place :)

2. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    I know that everyone is not happy with Amazon.com for canceling their pre-orders, but if someone is still looking for the LTD Edition book they now have it for $185 and still says there available for shipping:
    List Price: $295.00
    Price: $185.85
    You Save: $109.15 (37%)
    Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

3. nya

nya Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2001
    ?? The heck?!!!! Amazon has jacked it back up to $295! What is going on with the price of this book?

4. Ame_V

Ame_V Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2004
    I have a question for anyone who has the book: Are there any pictures of Aayla Secura? I know there's a thread for her listed in the index, but it's locked and none of the pictures show up anymore. Anyway, just wondering.

5. MartyBrandt

MartyBrandt Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2004
    Hey everyone!!

I was wondering if someone could get a picture or a scan of the Anakin fabrics for me. Im going to be going to a fabric store sometime this week that has all types of exotic fabrics. They were the ones that Siegfreid and Roys costumers got their fabrics from. In fact, if anyone has any request of fabrics, Ill be sure to keep an eye out for them. Just let me know.

Thanks!!

6. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    The fabrics are dark brown and hard to scan. (they look almost black, but they are not black) . Check link in my signature for scans (in the FIDM photo album -> LTD book).

EDIT: KayDee has found the under tunic fabric ! see http://www.padawansguide.com/ for details.

7. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Hey Ame_V, There isn't any Aayla picture in the book I think, but I do have a scan of Aayla from the Fact Files. Unfortunately I haven't got a very good scanner, but the picture is still worth it.
    Do you want to have it?

8. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    As I have explained before, the limited-edition book is, indeed, a LIMITED print run, of a small press offering, and is classified in the same category as textbooks by the booksellers. This information was straight from the publishers reps at FIDM at the press opening. You do NOT get a discount on textbooks at booksellers, or college bookstores would go out of business (try ordering a college text from B&N and see what happens). My roommate works at Borders and gets this complaint all the time.

Basically, it comes down to reality: Some things in life just aren't discounted. Period. You are going to have to pay $300 for a LAVISH reference for anyone (even my mundane-minded mom thought it was a good investment) and if you have to pay $110 more than you thought you did, well, do the fandom economics. What is that really, the equivalent of like 15-20 action figures? So forego something else, or a few somethings. Everyone has to make that decision individually. If SW costuming is your thing, you NEED the monster edition. It has more photos, and even more SUPER tight close-ups of the costumes, etc.

Sometimes you have to just grin and bear it. I slammed down almost $400 in ONE PURCHASE without blinking an eye at FIDM, the first week it came out, to get both versions, and I have NEVER had an IOTA of buyer's regret (which I can't say about other big purchases I've made). I'm delighted that I made that decision, and am not still, months later, at the mercy of Amazon or some other seller -- the 'very unlikely' possibility of MAYBE saving $100 was NOT worth the 'very likely' aggravation and wait, at least for me.

The Parrot

9. Ame_V

Ame_V Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2004
    Yes, definitely, thanks.

10. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Sorry for the long delay in updating my post after getting my book from Amazon.Ca. [face_blush] Mine is #1131 and the Costume Swatches I gotten are as follow:

- Obi-Wan Tabbard/Outer Tunic
    - Obi-Wan Pants
    - Obi-Wan Robe
    - Neimoidian Gunner Jumpsuit(??)
    - Padme Green Devorevelvet Underdress(??)
    - Padme Green Devorevelvet Velvet Robe
    - Padme Green Devorevelvet Robe Lining(??)
    - Neimoidian Aide x 3 (except the gathered cloth piece)
    - Padme Burgundy Cut Velvet Beaded Cloth
    - Padme Burgundy Cut Velvet Inner Dress(??)
    - Padme Burgundy Cut Velvet Outer Coat Lining(??; 3 types except the Velvet one)
    - Bail Organa Velvet Senate x6 (all)
    - Anakin ROTS x 5 (LOL! I also became squit-eye trying to identify where the 2 "crinkled" swatches at the bottom of the page goes, especially behind the barrier in front of the original [face_hypnotized] )
    - Palpatine Gray Federation Robe x 4 (all)
    - Padme Peacock And Brown Velvet Overcoat
    - Padme Peacock And Brown Velvet Coat Lining(??)
    - Handmaiden 1 x 5 (minus ther leather-like piece)

Pity I didn't get any of the Zam, Padme Black Travel Dress and Padme Freighter Disguise :_| as they are in my Wish-List of costumes to do (or rather the first 2, had tried collection some of the fabrics).

Overall, am happy to see that the LE version has Padme ROTS Purple Senate Gown as am seeing it almost everyday. Will get some white gloves and bring the book to work this Fri to show the other Showhosts :p and the next time Kino have their 20% off offer, gonna get the regular version to whack while making my or friends' costumes.

11. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    That looks like pretty much the same list of stuff I got. I'm happy about the handmaiden one..wee! Glad I hadn't tried that one from the spoiler pics. lol

12. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Ame_V you have PM:) .

13. Sabreman

Sabreman Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2001
    I just opened my copy of this book today, and I thought there was something wrong with my cardboard folder with the close-up costume photos and fabric samples. I counted about 65 close-up photos in the folder, of which only 30 or so had a fabric sample attached. After having read the posts here, I see that there was nothing wrong with my copy. So it essentially is a matter of luck as to which costumes you receive a sample from.

Doesn't it strike anyone as a little odd that they wouldn't attach fabric samples to all the photos?

14. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I don't think it's odd that they didn't or couldn't add swatches to all the pictures, no. As you may recordnised the missing swatches are mostly those of Episode 1 and 2 costumes and maybe they didn't have fabric left from the production of those. In case of Phantom it's at least 7 years ago that they made the costumes.

Now you could ask why they added Episode 1 and 2 costumes to the swatch book at all.
    I think that the pics of the fabrics alone are a great thing and help a lot to find close matches.

IMHO. :)

15. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Another reason could had been that they don't have much to go around. ;) Some fabrics are specially made or from fabrics that was made many, many decades ago.

16. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Just for the record, I got the same fabric samples in my copy of DaG as everyone else. I know there was a few slight differences in what everyone has received, but did anyone receive anything drastically different, like Padme's Refugee Disguise or anything? I don't really understand why they put some of those costumes in there. Like the Wedding dress, which was made from old fabric they barely had enough of. Of course there wasn't going to be extra to give to the fans! I kind of think they could have put in different costumes where the fabrics were more plentiful. I can't really complain though, as it's amazing enough that we got the swatches at all!

Also, unrelated question, where does one get the Star Wars fact files in the US? They are British, right? Are they available online. They have such great pictures of the costumes!!

17. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    The fact files are from britain, we have them in french too !

18. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Cool cool! I'm jealous of all you European fans then! :)

19. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Hey, just want to check out about the Fabrics Swatches Book.

My friend who gotten hers from Malaysia said hers is Black in color, has Padme Picnic Dress etc and is the first #100 or so. :eek: It was personally brought in by a bookshop owner for himself but due to damage in transition, had to be sold off.

But mine which lies in the 1000s is Yellow-Beige in color.

Everyone else got the same kind of swatch book as mine? :confused:

20. jedikitty19

jedikitty19 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 23, 2006
    Instead of buying the entire thing u could buy the book which is 50 bucks. I got it and its so great. Pics are great and the price i think was reasonable.

21. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Darth Eagle...mine was the beige swatch book too and my book is up in the 1000's as well.

22. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Yes, all the swatch books are the same design and color. We were originally told that different books may have different selections of swatches glued on top of the place holder photos. Most people seem to be missing the same swatches though.

- Kay Dee

23. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Ya I gotten that one too to "bash up" [face_peace] but the one in the LE is thicker with lots more photos and even the costume "breakdown" of AOTC Padme White Battlesuit (wish that was in the regular version) and some of the closeups of the ROTS Purple Senate Gown which we currently have here in Singapore.

If you are just going for a good reading and a basic look at some of the costumes in the Prequel, then the regular one is good enough. ;) But costumes/Padme Addicts will probably have to go for the LE one. ;)

Thanks for the reply Kay Dee and Arsinoe. :) Maybe only the first 100s will get the special one and therafter due to lack of fabrics, rest of us gotten the Beige one.

Hmmmm....so anyone with the book in the 100s can verify this?

24. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Edit because I can't read :p

Whaaaa! I wish I had the book from Malaysia with a black folder! I'd love a picnic swatch! It's funny it never seemed to be advertised that the first 100 books would have a totally different folder?

My book is number 793 by the way.

Is it possible your friend just didn't communicate with you clearly? Maybe they are just speaking of how they got the book Drssing a Galaxy which does have a black cover and close up photos of the picnic dress fabric inside?

I'd just find it odd that the publisher would design a totally different folder and nobody here has seen it or gotten it.

- Kay Dee

25. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    I didn't get the book during the show, but I really wanted it! Anakin, my little race car and other love, needed new shoes... Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone had gotten any swatches from Maul's costume or any detailed pics of it. I've sourced out most of the fabrics for it and will slowly start to buy them, but when raw silk is about $15 a yard... it'll take me awhile. If anyone has any info, please let me know. Thank you so much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.