main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Unofficial Memphis EU Board.

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Chewbracca, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I finished The Final Prophecy. And I guess I must've missed something or fallen asleep, but what is the "final prophecy?" :confused:

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. 'specially Corran. He was written very Han Solo-esque, but it was entertaining. Remaining spoiler-free here: I loved the bit in the 'foreign' ship when he was going off to the 'pilot' about not knowing how to fly. That was pretty funny.

**SPOILER SPACE**
    OK, so we have one book left to go in this series and we've learned what? That the YV and Zonoma Sekot have "something in common"....duh.....but the only person in the universe who understands the common ground is dead now. Harrar found out who "The Prophet" is, but he's presumed dead, too. The planet that can save the galaxy from the YV is spinning off into never-never land and taking several important Jedi along for the ride. And Nom Anor is still alive!! :mad:

Bring on the next book. I don't know how they're gonna get out of this one. [face_laugh]

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    OK...I'm on page 330-something of "Reunion"....

WILL THIS DAMNED BOOK EVER END?????

Good grief! I mean....get on with it! These guys make reading Anne Rice's tangents in all of her books seem brief. Who was their literary inspiration? Tokien??? Get the Hobbits out of the blasted Squire, for Pete's sake!!! We're on page 8300!!! C'mon!!!!!

That whole "Force Heretic" series is just...blech. It could be condensed down to one book, and not miss anything.

3. cdillon

cdillon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2003
    I finished Shadows of the Empire last night and all I can say is wow! I love the book. It is by far my favorite!

***Spoilers***

It was to bad that Dash died. But after he saved them on Imperial Center I kind of knew he was a goner. It was neat to see where Luke and Leia got their outfits in ROTJ. I wonder if Luke's still stunk from the sewers? I really like the droids flying the ship. The author really captured Threepeo and Arto's relationship well. Those two crack me up.
    ***End Spoilers***

All in all this is one of the best EU books written, at least of the ones I have read. I would give it a 10 out of 10.

4. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    I agree with you Tim, those books are too long.

Chad have you heard of the shadows of the Empire game for PC? Spoilers!in the game it is revealed that Dash Rendar did not die but only made it look like he did. So technically he is still alive depending on how much stock you place in video game continuity

5. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    My favorite part of SOTE was when Vader saved Luke by destroying the skyhook. I can just see Vader going "all medieval" on somebody for messing with his son, LOL. Pretending that the book was written before ROTJ was released, that could've been what Luke was talking about when he said, "There's still good in him," about Vader.

And Dash should live! He was great.

6. cdillon

Sep 25, 2003
    Tim C

How old is that game?

Chad

7. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    It came out just after the book so it's kind of old but you can still find it sometimes.

8. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    As the end of the NJO approaches, I started feeling nostalgic and ventured into the Lit forum (my former "home") for the first time in several years. Someone please remind me never to do that again. Ever.

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Well, since apparently the mods there are inattentive and snobbish, and the general attitude there is very PK-4 (that's pre-kindergarten for 4-year-olds, for those of you who aren't parents), I welcome the addition of Lit threads pertaining to individual books here.

I, for one, would love to be able to discuss the EU books without the input of smart-aleck brats who have nothing better to do than, A) read the book in its entirety the day it's released, B) Post spoilers that ruin the book for those of us who have lives, and C) want to chastise you about how "we've already discussed that" when you join the conversation on page 6,742,763 and don't feel a need to go back and read 6,742,762 pages of bashes, rants, and raves that they started posting six months before the book was even released.

So, I'm game if y'all are. Just as long as no one posts spoilers in the title, we limit the discussion at one thread per book, and that you highlight your spoilers in black, and responses to such spoilers the same. (Please post in visible form that it's a reply to a spoiler.) Either that, or we go with a thread per every few chapters of the book.

Any objections?

10. cdillon

Sep 25, 2003
    I agree, I was reading a review in the review forum for Courtship of Prinecess Leia and someone posted a spoiler form the NJO WHICH I HAVE NOT READ YET!!! I WAS MAD!!! So let's do it here and mark our spoilers properly.

I was just told by dp4m that that was not a spoiler. My bad, a character dies in a later book tht has nothing to do with the book we are reviewing. Sounds like a spoiler to me.

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Apparently that seems to be a big problem in the Lit Forum, and the aforementioned mod remains unconcerned with the environment. This is why I won't bother with going there.

So, what book we want to do first?

12. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    What? [face_shocked] You mean it's possible to discuss a SW book intelligently? The earth will continue to turn without objective stock posts such as: "Zhan sucks!" "Ihate Coran" and "Maras a b**** & seh riuned Luke"?? I dunno, folks. We're going out on a limb here! [/end sarcasm ;)]

Seriously, sounds good to me. We could even group books together such as the X-Wing series, The Thrawn Trilogy, etc.

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I don't think we should group things together like that, just in case someone is farther into the series than others are.

Maybe we should figure out some ground rules to prevent anyone from getting spoiled. Any ideas?

14. cdillon

Sep 25, 2003
    Let's suggest a book and read it together. I know a lot of you have read most of the books but I would be willing to re-read them. Then I think we need to make a new thread about that book only so no one gets spoiled by reading in here. What do ya think?

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    That should work just fine, Chad. Even if we just skimmed over a book, if we didn't have time to re-read it, it would still be nice to go back and discuss things.

16. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I'll be starting The Unifying Force next week. Is anyone other than Tim B. & Rhonda reading it?

After that one, I'll be open until February when Survivor's Quest comes out.

We could start with Heir to the Empire - the book that is commonly considered to be the beginning of the modern EU.

Or we could start with the book that picks up at the end of ROTJ, The Truce at Bakura.

Or we could go pre-ROTJ with Shadows of the Empire or even further back than that with some of the prequel novels.

The EU is so big that the hardest part of this might be just picking a book, LOL.

17. cdillon

Sep 25, 2003
    I would love to start with the Thrawn Trilogy. I would also like to read The Approaching Storm. I have not read any of the NJO books yet though.

This sounds cool, I am really looking forward to it.

Chad

18. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    This is a good idea, I've only read 1 & 1/2 of the thrawn trilogy. I need to finish it up. Right now I am finishing up DUNE: MAchine Crusade and then I'll be starting Shatter Point. After that I plan on getting Unifying Force.

19. cdillon

Sep 25, 2003
    Okay first book is from the Thrawn Trilogy, Heir to the Empire. Hope this sounds okay.

Okay, my daughter wants to type her name...

madison

Thanks

Chad

20. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    It sounds like the Unifying Force is going to be really good.

21. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Okay first book is from the Thrawn Trilogy, Heir to the Empire.

Sweeeeeet!!!! :D (Zahn groupie & resident Mara Jade junkie does a happy dance) Now I've gotta find my copy. [face_blush]

22. cdillon

Sep 25, 2003
    I just bought a brand new one yesterday, since I have never read it!

23. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    My Thrawn Trilogy books are first-edition hardbacks and they're in a box out in the storage room. (Small house + 2 kids = a lot of stuff in boxes, LOL.)

I'll probably go ahead and pick up a paperback copy since I'm guessing that's what most people here will have & it'll be easier if the page numbers correlate.

Now we need to know who else is interested and when should we start?

(The final NJO book comes out Tuesday, so gimme a week or so to read it and then I'll be ready.)

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I've asked Traci if she'll lead the Lit discussions here on our boards, and she's agreed to handle it. So, she's our Lit Queen now.

25. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.