main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Unpopular EU opinions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    One of these threads, eh? Oh man... hate these things. Reminds me of all those "most overrated band ever!" or "unpopular music opinion" threads on various music forums I visit. They start off nice enough, but degrade pretty quickly into flame baiting. Especially since the nature of these types of threads, just sort of throwing unpopular opinions out there, tends to stifle debate.

We shall see. That said, I literally can't fathom how anyone could see more merit in POD than Jedi vs Sith :p

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I also enjoyed Allegiance. And Choices of One. And Outbound Flight.

I liked Cade, honestly.

I can't stand most Reaves or Perry post- Shadow Hunter and Shadows of the Empire. I really, really could not get into Coruscant Nights.

I enjoy KJA, unless Arca Jeth is onscreen.

3. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh wait, got one.

Even though I enjoy the project as a whole, by far the best thing about Shadows of the Empire was the soundtrack. In fact, one of the greatest disappointments the EU has delivered me is hearing that a Thrawn trilogy soundtrack was being considered, but was ultimately not followed up on. Do it. I'd have much preferred that over the orthodox comic adaptations.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I really really like Outbound Flight and how Thrawn is portrayed within.

JoinTheSchwarz , RC-1991 and Zeta1127 like this.
  5. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Unpopular is really among the most relative of terms, especially when it comes to a fanbase that has existed for more than thirty years, is spread across continents, and is made up of an untold number of demographics. Honestly, I think that at least half of the things people have said really aren't that unpopular at all.

But more to the point, I feel like this is one of the more unpopular opinions when it comes to that wide-ranging spread of the fanbase: The movies aren't the best part of Star Wars. They aren't even the most central. In a universe of history spanning millennia, with hundreds of thousands of interesting characters doing interesting things, and an untold number of cool stories that're still just waiting to be told, the movies amount to a blip on the radar, just a small ~40 year chunk of a much larger, grander narrative.

Shadow Trooper, Robimus, Rew and 6 others like this.
  6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, I'll honestly take KotOR II and the NJO over the movies any day of the week. I barely look at the movies anymore.

Shadow Trooper likes this.
  7. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the New Mandalorians introduce an interesting concept to Mandalorian history and make them greater dimension than just an entire race of guys who could kill you in a million ways from the moment they're born.

Ugh, I actually like quite a few things TCW does when it's not fiddling with canon. OH, THE SHAME! THE SHAME OF IT ALL! :_|

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, are we doing the movies too?

TPM is a better film than RotS.

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010

That would definitely be a popular opinion here, but you're absolutely right on the word "unpopular" being relative.

Even the original movies are far from flawless, in my opinion. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with them. To be honest, I feel every movie in the trilogy could have used a bit of work in the dialogue department. Small amount of work, in Empire Strikes Back case. Total rewrite, in the case of Attack of the Clones and, to a slightly lesser extent, The Phantom Menace. Liam Neeson has a way of neutralizing the worst effects of bad dialogue.

10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I have to second that one actually, somehow it's just more fun to watch. :)

--- I kind of like Dark Nest
    --- To many Super Star Destroyers, for no real reasons keep showing up
    --- NJO is amazing
    --- TCW has some great ideas

WynnDorvan likes this.
  11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    - I am not that fond of the Legacy comics. I just felt like the story went in endless circles with too many recycled ideas. Not bad, but far from deserving of the praise heaped upon it.

-SWTOR has some very good visual design, especially the costumes. Especially the Sith Iniquister costumes - which get a lot of love here but are hated on the main forums for daring to deviated from Star Wars design.

-Fighters capture the heroic spirit of the movies and they should get more focus than capital ships.

-Non-force magic is not that bad.

-While it has its down points, the clone wars as an era is pretty fun.
    --And I would like some more CW era games

-The Sith need more variety in their dress and lightsaber colors. (Again, that is agreed upon here but hated elsewhere on the net)

-Mandolorians need to stop looking like Boba Fett all the time. The armor is supposed to be very distinctive.

-I don't mind a bunch of jedi living past order 66 or even later.

-The Vong were a neat idea that could have been used better, and in particular I wish they had been more out there with Vong spawned monsters and grafts.

12. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Legacy is over rated.

And Stazi is an annoying character made worse by the authors attempts to make him 'cool'.

Now that I think of it most of my views on Legacy are this.

err maybe this:
    Tales of the jedi is what the Prequels should have been based on, as in the way the jedi act and dress.

Although is that, that controversial

also Serra Keto is the best female jedi of the Old Order (post Russan).

13. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Han Solo should have died in THE UNIFYING FORCE.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  14. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    I am long past tired of Mandalorians. I want them gone. I don't want to see another stupid word with six apostrophes in it. I don't want to hear about their special native iron that just happens to block lightsabers so they could gripe about Jedi wizardry in relative safety. I want all the clones to be dead already, because isn't it about time? Mandalorians can go die in a fire.

15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I like their KOTOR/TOR depictions and take them as the definitive take for them so I can't say I share the sentiment. They're fine when they aren't written as OMG best evar

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Vergere and Yoda were saying the same things.

Havac , beccatoria, RC-1991 and 2 others like this.
  17. desh

desh Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2012
    Greedo shot first.

Barriss_Coffee and Zeta1127 like this.
  18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Children of the Jedi was an amazing book. AMAZING.

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I've actually heard Barbra Hambly has written some great original work. Wonder why she apparently had so much trouble with Star Wars?

20. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I didn't mind The Crystal Star.

Yes, you read that right.
    Minch is a Sith!? OMG!!!

21. Parnesius

Parnesius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Rosh Penin is...fine.

Havac likes this.
  22. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I'm liking this because I admire your stance, not because I necessarily agree with it :)

1) I still like Karen Traviss, despite everything (and she has done and written some phenomenally stupid stuff).

2) I think KotOR II is a better game and more fun than KotOR I (well, I did play it first, so I'm not sure how much that has to do with it, but I still enjoy the wider options and larger level cap and overall tone more, even if the characters are slightly less engaging).

3) Attack of the Clones is my favorite prequel, and I think Anakin makes the most sense and is more sympathetic there.

4) I hate hate hate Revenge of the Sith.

5) I think most of Dark Horse's comics since X-Wing Rogue Squadron have been boring and/or stupid. Including Legacy, Invasion, and KotOR.

6) I like the Oxford comma (I say this here because I just used it :) )

7) I really dislike Stover's novels and interviews. Yes, including Traitor. Yes, including Shatterpoint. Yes, including Mindor. Didn't read Sith. Though I do like the "Love can ignite the stars" bit that gets quoted a lot. He has a gift for great lines and introspection - he just also bears too heavily on the Frank Miller-esque heros and the pretentious writing/overdescription (Anakin speaking without capitalization as a Force ghost? Really?) (This is an unpopular opinions thread! Whew! Sometimes I get tired of being diplomatic...which is hilarious considering how negative I often am...)

8) While Zahn seems like an amazing person from my interactions with him on facebook, and I adore all he's written up to and including Survivor's Quest, I'm not really a big fan of much that followed. The Saint Thrawn stuff doesn't gel with the original Thrawn trilogy, and there's a frustrating inability to develop characters that comes with his (understandable) unwillingness to work in the post-NJO period.

9) I think Allston's X-Wing novels are a huge step up from Stackpole's (not sure how unpopular this is).

10) I hate Yoda.

11) I hated Boba Fett before Traviss, and actually liked him better after she wrote him.

12) Shadows of the Empire freaking bored me.

13) I love A-Wings. More than X-Wings. :)

23. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Nor me. At all.

And I actually enjoyed a lot of Planet of Twilight, except for the Leia-and-her-lightsaber stuff.

Also, Ruins of Dantooine was fun to read.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    NJO not the greatest story ever.

Enjoying Karen Miller's SW work

25. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    The Darth Bane Trilogy is one of my favorite SW book series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.