main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Untitled J.J. Abrams Production (1-18-08) (aka Cloverfield)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Clearly the government put Ted Stevens, the Senate's resident technical expert, in charge of that opening bit. :p

2. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Ah, that could be.
    Definitely! [face_laugh]

3. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Apart from the lung thingies, does anyone else think that the head looked a bit Rancorish?

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I thought it looked more like the a Sando Aqua Monster.
    [image=http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/6d/180px-Sandoaquamonster.jpg]

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It has that craggy-toothed look to it's mouth that both the Rancor and American Godzilla had, but overalll, I think "American Godzilla meets a praying mantis" probably covers it best.

6. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000

One little MINOR correction here.....

Jason is wearing a Slusho T-shirt

I read a post on another forum that said anyone who DIDN'T follow the viral stuff couldn't POSSIBLY have enjoyed the movie as much as those who did. I heartily disagree. For the first time in years, I made an effort to stay spoiler-free for this movie. I don't know why, but when I saw the trailer with TF, I just wanted it to stay that mysterious. It was absolutely fan-frakkin'-tastic! I've since one back and looked up all the hints and clues and while, yeah, it's a lot of fun knowing the back-story, it wouldn't have changed one second of the film for me. I highly recommend this as long as the Blair Witch-style hand-held camera work doesn't bother you...

Oh, I take it back. I've not seen this mentioned here, so I'll spoiler it, but one thing that WOULD have changed had I done the spoiler thing....
    I would have watched closer in the last shot of Beth and Rob at Coney Island. Apparently, on the right side of the screen, you can see something splash into the water while Beth is saying she had a good day. I hate missing little things like that!

7. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    I don't get people who think that Marlena is hotter than Beth!?

8. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Knowing Abrams, what if they make an anthology tv series?

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Beth is quite the hottie.

10. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    So at the end of the film, when the Military did operation Hammer... (forget the full name), was that a Nuclear explosion?

Did they destroy Manhatten to save the Country?

11. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Lil was hotter.

12. JediWampa

Feb 2, 2000
    They initiated a Hammer Down scenario...the only option other than nuclear I can imagine would be thermobaric weapon. Lots of boom, without the radiation. And in that situation, yeah, I could see the government making the attempt, but with most movies of this type, they make that sacrifice for nothing as the creature survives....

13. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    When I left the theater I sort of assumed that they would eventually end up nuking Manhattan, though I don't think that last explosion we see is the nuke. However, whatever they did, it has to be weak enough for the tape to have survived, so I don't know...

EDIT: As for the thing falling out of the sky, and following the viral market campaign, that is all extremely extra. I was only vaguely aware of the viral marketing schemes, and I enjoyed this movie greatly. I really don't see what knowing that would have added, except raising my expectations for the movie so high that it ends up being a disappointment. And I did not see the thing falling out of the sky and will definitely look for it next time I see the movie, but I felt the movie was very complete even without that. And sharp-eyed viewers will have caught that part anyway. Not to mention again, the fact that Slusho amounted to a T-shirt.

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    If Manhattan had been nuked. There would be no camera to find. Thus, no movie.

15. JediWampa

Feb 2, 2000
    I don't think that's necessarily true. You'd be surprised what can survive, especially buried in concrete and brick rubble. Not saying it absolutely would, but it's not a given, either.

I'd still have to say it was probably something other than a nuke just because of real-life politics. Nuclear weapons are an Extremely Bad Thing, and if this was only happening in NY, the rest of the country would likely lose it's mind. A fuel-air or thermobaric weapon, though, will give you the same (or more) bang without 1) the radiation of a nuke or 2) the stigma of actually USING a nuke on your own soil.

Either way, you know NY is boned just based on the opening where it says the camera was found at the site FORMERLY known as Central Park. That just NEVER bodes well... ;)

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Beth was hotter, though Marlena had that sarcastic-outcast thing going for her.

17. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Yeah. Marlena's the type that if you ever dated her, and got her to the point of saying, "I love you", then you know you have accomplished something and that she means it.

18. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah, Beth's stock went way down when she showed up at the party with another guy. What kind of an ass does that? :p

Plus I'm sure that Marlena is also more attractive because we were seeing her through the camera of the guy who has a crush on her :p

19. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    I seriously doubt that it was a nuke because they were within half a mile of the monster when the bomb went off and I'd think theyd be so lcose to the blast theyd be totally destroyed instantly. Plus in the last ten seconds there are distinctly two explosions, suggesting theyre now heavily bombing the city, but not nuking it.

BTW might as well give my thoughts. Overall it was very good. The characters were believeable and when a person died it felt like a real person had just died. The only thing that bothered me with the characters was that Hud (flaming hobos lol) and Rob are suppossed to be best friends but rarely talk or anything and Hud really seems to be a jerk to him telling everyone about him and Beth at the party. Then rarely doing anything to help the others until the end when they pull Beth off that bar. I personally thought the ending was fine and added to the realism of the film for there to be very little closure. It could have been longer but I think thats really a compliment to a movie when you wish it could have lasted longer.

BTW I didnt see the thing falling in the water but I read a very interesting review with the director which gave a couple of clues about the beast.

"The key to it is that the monster was a baby. The monster was suffering from separation anxiety and was absolutely disoriented and pissed, "where's mommy?", and terrified. That was the most important aspect of the creature. Not only was he furious and in a rage but he was scared, because to me there's nothing scarier than something huge that's spooked."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41100

20. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Why would they think carpet-bombing the city would affect the monster any more than the precision bombing moments earlier that had failed to give it a scratch?

21. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    The idea behind carpet-bombing the city, I think, is to level the buildings and all the places it could hide, then barrage the monster with the biggest bombs they've got, thermabombastic or whatever it is. From the helicopter, we could see that the bombs were causing it pain, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that a giant megaton explosion could injure, incapacitate or even destroy it.

I just came from a showing, so all this stuff is fresh in my mind. I really liked the film, and found it an exhilerating rush throughout. Unlike some, I really cared about the characters; I wanted Rob and Beth to make a clean getaway, though I anticipated that they were probably doomed. The first-person POV was far better accomplished here than in BWP, largely because it was professionally designed and filmed, unlike BW which was incredibly amateurish and underwhelming in terms of shocks and scares. In this film you actually get to see what is going on, you get to see the monsters in all their hideous glory, rather than forcing you to guess at what might be lurking in the dark -- and that quality alone makes CF a vastly superior film to BWP.

22. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    I REALLY would like to comment on Beth's ass, but don't think I would be allowed to here! ;)

23. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
  24. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Marlena is still hotter.

http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~nbiado/images/lizzycaplan04.jpg

^Oh yeah=P~ .

25. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006