main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA UPDATED!! Toys For Tots event at Toys R Us! December 3rd

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by crazybirdman, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Yay, I have an Anakin!

2. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    I guess the question then becomes, how accurate is the Rubies Vader to the ROTS Vader (seen on screen)?

I think the biggest problem most costumers have with it is that it seems to be cheaply made. Most of them (costumers) make theirs out of good quality plastic that doesn't feel like it's going to break. The Rubies Vader, from what I've read and heard, feels like it's going to break unless you're really careful with it.

As for my opinion on it, I have none :)

3. Robeewankenobe

Robeewankenobe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 29, 2004
    I looked at it personally and it looks great and it doesn't look "cheap" But the up side of it that it is light weight and you don't have to build anything[face_dancing]
    So, IMO it works and looks great! I think it is the true hardcore costume makers that would have an issue with it.
    But every fan will love it!

4. dustinbrewer

dustinbrewer Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 8, 2002
    Off topic here but, from what I saw in passing during halloween in the Orange circle, Rob's costume looks cool and he was surrounded by people all night wanting pics. people of all ages dug it, that's what matters. Start getting too anal about something and the fun factor goes down the toilet, well that's my opinion only of course.

Back to topic, I think it should be made known that the donations, if items, be unopened and unwrapped. James, is this correct?

5. BLACK-LIST-SQUADRON

BLACK-LIST-SQUADRON Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2005
    THis should be fun.

6. BLACK-LIST-SQUADRON

BLACK-LIST-SQUADRON Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2005

Although this is the start of a great discussion and some great feedback there is one main quesion at hand. "Are event's being limited to Eras?" (GAWD I hope not) I mean if this is true you must also take into account theat the 501st blue clones did not show up until episode 3. Therefore if anyone has an EP1 or EP2 clone they cannot wear it at an event were a 501st blue clone is at.

Also The Stormtroopers were different in each movie. SO if someone has an ANH stormtrooper, they cannot troop with anone that may have the ROTJ ST suit with the white trim around the edges. Not to mention the different colored frowns. Also each vader IS different but the fact remains that Vader is Vader. Plain and simple. If people start planning events and say "We can only have an ESB Vader at this event" then you need to make sure to stick to the era that no Sandtroopers show up. No clones, and Han Solo better have the right broomhandle on him.

IMHO this is a little too nit-picky. Yes the ROTS Vader is a quite different, but noone in the general public will know. If anything small kids will recognize it better. There is too much at stake if you limit costumes to time era. Also the opinions on which Vader is the best will always be different. It is a battle never won. I am in the process of having some Vader parts custom made. They will resemble parts form different movies yet only people that have studied will truley know. My custom chestbox will be based on the ESB but I can guarentee you the lettering beneath the coin slots will be very inacurate as I donot like the lettering they used. But noone will know. Because I have a large barrel chest my chestbox will be aprox. 1/4 of an inch larger then the speculated canon size. But noone will know. Dale's chest armor although nice, is too small for someone with my broad shoulders and wide chest. So I have to have one specialy made a little bigger. But noone will know.

If we are deciding to nit pick each and every part of the costume and bring it down to being 100% canon with correct blinking sequence etc. Then people need to be MUCH more careful at which aluminum belt buckle they buy for vader. I seriously doubt anyone will walk up to you and say, "um.. nice ESB vader, but I hate to break it to you, you are wearing an ANH belt buckle". Darthblade has a great site and many people have been using it for refrence for years. And yes in the end YOU will know how accurate your Vader is, and that is very important to MANY people. But IMHO is irrelevent to trooping.

I would leave the 100

7. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Hell yes, and yes.

Also, one Royal gaurd is better then none. Variety is the spice of life.

8. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Well, I never meant to say that everyone is going to notice. When I referred to costumers, I meant what Rob said, only the hardcore costumers are going to notice. And you might just be surprised by how many people in the 501st would notice an ANH belt on an ESB Vader :p

Dustin is right. Only the most "costume nazi" type among us will know the difference (and of course the person wearing it). Other than that, no one will know.

As for eras, I don't think anyone has ever limited costumes to certain eras unless it was for an event by LFL or Burger King or something like that. At that point, you're limited to what they want and that's all there is to it. Anything else, almost all costumes are always welcome. So I see no problem with having all types of clonetroopers and all types of stormtroopers at an event.

9. JediJenee

JediJenee Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2005
    I can't make any promises either, but I would love to help. I will put it on my schedule.

10. LizardJedi

LizardJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    Alright, I'm working on trying to get the day off so I can go to this....

11. Robeewankenobe

Feb 29, 2004
    OK, cool!
    So, unopened and unwrapped.

12. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA star 3 VIP

Dec 8, 2002
    People need to keep there lips zipped about others costumes. I think it is the height of stuckupedness (Yeah I made the word up) to criticize others costumes when they have not asked for said criticism. You don't know everyone's financial situations and why they did what they did. So being critical only leads to less people costuming which is bad. That leads to events where only you and Barry drive out to L.A. to talk to kids and thank goodness Obi-Shawn and Marshall show up. I applaud anyone who puts a costume together whether it be a generic jedi or a custom mandalorian or an ESB accurate Vader.

13. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Don't forget Obi-Shawn's wife and the guy in the Wookiee costume :D

14. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA star 3 VIP

Dec 8, 2002
    I know, it was just funnier that way. Much thanks to the wookie and Mrs. Shawn.

15. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Let's get back on topic here. Don't forget this is just two weeks away.

16. TheCrowbar

TheCrowbar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2005
    Ok the polaroid camera my friend let me borrow doesn't work. does anyone have one we could use for this event?

17. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Did you put film in it?

Sorry, I had to ask.
    :p

18. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Oh don't apologize, CB is known for her...
    absentmindedness.

19. TheCrowbar

Apr 15, 2005
    Yeah film was in it, and it wasn't even expired either. The camera has a shutter problem (according the Britt the king of all things cameralike) So i took a pic of James and I, and well I showed up and he didnt (and it wasn't even dark or anything)

Absentmindedness.... me!!!

Who we talkin bout again?

20. Robeewankenobe

Feb 29, 2004
    I'm happy to report that R2-Mike will be there with his R2!!!

21. TheCrowbar

Apr 15, 2005
    I got my armour!!!!!!!!!!!!! [face_dancing] Dini has been gracious enough to let me volunteer her to help me with it, crossing fingers it will all be done in time.. now I need accessories..
    Under Armour Check
    Boots Well I have some white vinyl doc martens that will have to do until the order to CAboots gets filled
    Everything else, wow this is going to be a stressful week.

22. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Yeah, lots of fitting, trimming, trying on, more trimming, sanding............

Have fun!

And then, the first time you wear it for any length of time, you'll find out where you didn't trim it quite enough.
    :p

23. Enforcer_Draconus

Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    i have a blaster you can use Val if you dont have one i will be there in my RFT

24. TheCrowbar

Apr 15, 2005
    That would be awesome! Can't pistol whip people without the blaster [face_beatup]

25. Enforcer_Draconus

Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    its the one from the Star Tours ride reissue i just sprayed it black and it still has sound too if you want it you can have it i got no use for it since i dont have or plan on getting armour now that im getting 3po

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.