main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD USER NAME REQUESTS (Warning: expect long delays!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, it does. [face_laugh]

2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Looking forward to seeing new users. Hopefully ones that aren't saturated in cynicism.[face_coffee]

3. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    I know, right? [face_laugh]

4. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    ESB is richer in symbolism than some people might realize...

[image=http://i.imgur.com/qLTrd.jpg]

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'll have to work extra hard to make up for them.:p

7. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I wonder if they'll really make this happen on April 1st now..

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Could be even sooner. Could be.

9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I didn't really care that much before, but now that H_J made that Mother Talzin Force-blast icon and icons can't be submitted till after the move it's agony!

10. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I'm so freaking sick of my own username... can't wait to change it.

[image=http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/15832428.jpg]

11. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    I've read all about this and still have no idea how this all will play out..

12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Please do! I find cynics are closest to reality :D

13. quiller

quiller Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    Well hopefully when they decide they will consider that APRIL 1st is not the right date to do it.. just saying...

14. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Not sure if constantly being negative is my idea of "close to reality", but this is the TCW forum. Who here isn't a cynic sometimes? [face_coffee]

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Yeah, I think people sometimes over-generalize who's "gushing" and who's "bashing." I don't think there's anyone who consistently loves or hates every single episode. People are not drones.

16. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    There definitely are some gushers though... some people (well, at least one person that I can think of OTOH) are even being 100% apologist, explaining away even the smallest mistakes and inconsistencies that the majority of people here thought were bad.

As for 100% bashers... they're pretty non-existent, strictly taken. Even the most negative people here tend to like stuff from time to time.

As for myself, I'm completely schizophrenic... I'll bash one episode, then praise the next one. The funny thing about that is that people often tend to oversee this.

Many will just assume that if you're singing the praises, you always are, or if you're hating on something, you're hating everything about the series. I've had sneers from 'gushers' as if I'm always bashing the series, and I've had sneers from 'haters' as if I'm always applauding everything. Not that I really care... it's just funny how that works.

17. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I am frequently labeled a gusher when debating someone who has no other argument left to make. :p Seems natural since I definitely lean on the optimistic side of things. Ever since I was a kid I wanted a good Star Wars TV show that had the Star Wars vibe, and TCW has quite a number of episodes that achieve that in some capacity in my view. The time IU that it takes place in makes it all the better. I have no problem admitting I am grateful that this series exists.

Still, it has its shortcomings, and just because I'm an optimist on the whole doesn't take away the fact that I still have my own tastes, which means I will gravitate towards some stuff and be repelled by other stuff. There's also a tendency in this series to have major missed opportunities.

But, at the end of the day, I'd rather have arcs that seem unnecessarily stretched out given the amount of plot they contain (a-hem, Mon Cala, and to a lesser extent pretty much everything this season) than no TCW.

18. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    See some us are not here to debate and argue. Its a discussion. We want to hear what other people have to think without applying labels of right or wrong. This isn't some sort of mental contest where people are keeping score, slapping you on the back and giving you prizes. Honestly the show on its own is far too young to have the level of detail needed to even put fact against fact on regular occasion.

There are actual very few facts to be debated involved with this show. Most of it comes down to opinions. Now one could say, "I don't agree with your take, I look at it this way...." as a part of the discussion, but when people start saying "Your wrong because thats not how I think it is......", then we venture very quickly into the abyss.

Lastly the issue with the so called "gushing" has never been the gushing. It's been the "gushers" (note I don't even like the terminology and am not labelling anyone here) ganging up and verbally attacking the so called "Bashers", as if someone not liking an episode was somehow a personal slight against someone who does like it.

And yes, I've seen the fence swing the other way as well, but its far less frequent.

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    True, it's a discussion, but on topics where people have strongly held differing views the discussion inevitably evolves (or devolves) into a debate, or at least disagreement if you're not a fan of the word "debate."

Not everything boils down to opinion. Like when the S3 Force-witch trilogy came out and one of the complaints was that they supposedly revealed that Darth Maul's real name before being a Sith Lord was Maul. Some posters really seemed to think that happened, but it wasn't anywhere in the episodes. It never happened. That's a factual point, not a matter of opinion, just to give an example.

I agree that there is an unfortunate tendency when there is consensus for or against an episode for those with the unpopular opinion, be it positive or negative, to be ganged up on by some of those with the popular opinion.

To tie this back in to the intention of this thread, hopefully on the new boards we can work together to keep things as civil as possible.

20. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    True that. If TCW actually fit properly with the wealth of established C-Canon content, you'd be able to have a discussion based on those facts.

Reality gets in the way. :p

However, what Tarkas said about actual facts from the episodes being completely ignored is true as well. You can have an argument about that.

21. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Yeah, lemme know how that worked out long term for ya.;)

As for your shot about "reality", my thoughts are this. It may seem strange but I don't think I've ever taken a jab at another member here because they said they don't enjoy the EU, or becasue they choose to view TCW's in their own way - yet a lot of that flys the other direction. I wonder why that is?

22. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Hey, it wasn't a shot, man.

I'm usually irritated by most of TCW's pointless retcons and the oftentimes crass disregard for the EU *cough*Even Piell*cough*. :p

My point is that TCW makes it hard to even argue about basic facts sometimes because what is considered basic facts is up in the air. Discussions about them devolve into what is actually "canon" or not. Unfortunate but true.

23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    It worked out fine by me, Rob. ;)

24. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    None of this is going to change when the forum moves. What's going to change are features and capability. I'm looking forward to new users, modern non propriatary BBcode, modern forum statistics, a real karma system, and maybe just maybe the Tapatalk add-on will get installed eventually. Doesn't look like we're getting inline quoting but guess that's not a big deal. Check it out, picked phpbb and vb for the compare.

http://www.forummatrix.org/compare/phpBB+vBulletin+XenForo

25. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    The most annoying thing about LACWAC is people hating on complainers, telling them to go away or not watch the series. This even happens with occasional complaints.

Complainers aren't telling 'gushers' to leave either. What's wrong about it is that you're making things personal.

If everyone would just stick to posting opinions, none of this would happen. Not that it'll ever stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.