main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[user profiles] a bit more space would be nice.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ZebulaNebula, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    Would it be feasable for Sleepy to allow us to have a bit more space in our profiles? I am one of many users who has more material worthy of inclusion into my profile than the 2000 character limit would allow. We've compensated by either removing material we'd rather keep up, or by 'farming out' the excess (usually links to fanfiction) to a sock. Is it too much to ask to increase our capacity to maybe 5,000 characters?

2. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    i agree with you. i would like more space in my profile! then i could fit in more stuff

3. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    FIVE? One would be nice... were at what, Two Fifty right now?

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    250 is signatures

5. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    I'll rent mine out to you.

6. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    You could always create a rough free website with links to your stories, and link to that in your profile.

7. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Profiles are 2000 and signatures are 250. To increase either would be something ZS would have to maunally change. I think the easiest solution is what YJ suggested.

8. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Actually, what Jeff said is a very good suggestion. We have no access to the code that enables the change. It would have to be done IGN-wide and implemented by zerosleep.

9. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I think Zebula recognizes that it's something Zerosleep would have to do, since he says "Would it be feasable for Sleepy to allow us..."

Does Zerosleep/IGN pay any attention to requests of this nature?

10. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I think if it's a major, board/system-wide issue or error it is dealt with quickly. Something like this is more trivial (and doesn't impact board/system function) and therefore probably not very high on their "to do list."

11. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    He does. But like I said in the language filter thread, it probably wouldn't be high on his priority list at this time. He's changing .asp pages to .aspx pages across all IGN forums including TFN, and is dealing with the username switch which is an extremely big deal. He checks these threads as well as those in Mod Squad, but has to prioritize what he does. This is a "nice to have", not a "must fix", so at this point it would be a while, unfortunately.

12. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Also, profiles are handled differently at IGN so it wouldn't be something that would be of a high priority over there.

That said, it 'should' be a very simple change if you could convince him.

13. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    ZebulaNebula: We've compensated by either removing material we'd rather keep up, or by 'farming out' the excess (usually links to fanfiction) to a sock.

Or, you could do what I do: take an old post in JC Fan Fiction (to take advantage of the unlimited editing time, of course) and turn it into your own personal index. It shouldn't be a problem as long as the links are to JC threads.

My index is over 15,000 characters long and I still haven't reached the characters-per-post limit. :p

- lazy

14. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    That's a good idea ... I have an old planning thread I could ... recycle.

It occurred to me that bigger profiles might also be an unnecessary bandwidth drain, on top of being a low-priority request.

15. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    It shouldn't be, unless you put like 500 pictures in your profile.

16. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Even then, it would only really drain bandwidth from the site that stores the pictures, not the JC servers.

17. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Indeed.

if you *really* want to expand on the space in your profile, then generate your own offsite page and put a link to it in your profile.

18. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I would actually like *less* space because I don't know what to put. I am a terribly boring person and everyone hates me. It embarrasses me.

19. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Ooooooh, that is sneaky, lazy! I had already added some socks to sort out fan fic links in my bio, but still didn't have enough space. Your instructions for making URLs shorter were very helpful.

20. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    You can have all of mine. I have pretty much nothing in it. [face_plain]

21. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    i also think that more space in our WUL would be good as well! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.