main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Valin Horn

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kyris Cavisek, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I am a loyal Corran Horn fan, and Allston reader. However Valin Horn seems to be taking his father's spot in my favorite Jedi. But I want him to be more of a focal character. I think Valin could carry his own novel. Here are some personality and plot points I could think of
    1. Shame from being Force Crazy
    2. Emphasis on the Corellian Jedi History (Green Robes/Jedi Credit)
    3. Shame when dealing with Ithorians due to his father's inability to save the planet
    4. Inability to use Telekinesis

On top of that, you could have a romance between Valin and Syal Antilles... It could be easily retconned
    1. In Fury, Syal's fiancee dies, she then hangs out with the Jedi. There is a line about the Antilles and Horn families hanging out at a table
    2. The Horn kids and Antilles kids grew up throughout the Vuuzhan Vong War on the Errant Venture together.
    3. The relationship could start/rekindle at the Solo-Fel wedding, where both could be in attendance

Not to mention through this marriage, the Horn family would join the now Skywalker/Solo/Fel/Antilles family tree. Through this Corran Horn and Wedge would be Grandparents to the same grandchild someday.

Skywalker2B likes this.
  2. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    It is all getting a bit incestuous...

3. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Not yet, once Ben marries Jysella it would be ;)

And lets not forget how many times Luke and Leia kissed

4. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Perhaps the Jedi might go ancient Egyptian style, where brother married sister.

Since Ben is a single child, and Jaina's siblings are dead...

Ben and Jaina get married.

Sorry Jagged. Time to get out Jagged Little Pill and the tissue box.

5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    No but I am being serious about Valin and Syal, even if there was no connection to the Skywalker Solo family. The two characters are often used by Allston, and are around the same age. They are pilot and Jedi, both Corellian. I am thinking an entire book within the Corellian sector... voila reason for them to hang out, romance and engagement

6. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Valin Horn has a lot of potential. As his father gets up there in age, Valin has been on the sidelines throughout the NJO, then was great in Fury. Then went crazy in FotJ, now it is time for a redemption book

7. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    I would love to see Ben and Valin as a Jedi team. The younger Knights need to have an opportunity to step up and make their mark.

8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Valin is around 25-30 ish. I guess it could work. I always imagined that Valin had a selonian apprentice, and Doran and Kolir were his best friends. Syal is his romance. Jysella his sister flirts with Doran. Now that Yanthar Bwau'tu would make a good romance to kolir and friend of Valin. I could see Allston doing a Jedi X Wing novel. 12 Jedi Knights, Valin is wing commander... Lowie and Tesar are too senior of knights to be in the unit, all younger knights...

9. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    Valin is already that old?? Holy crap...kid grew up fast!

10. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Perhaps Valin doesn't know about the birds and the bees, even at this age. Perhaps, as pleasure leads to the Dark Side, the Jedi skip over these subjects. On the plus side, a major benefit discovered as a by-product of this policy, was that the Jedi developed great wrist work, which helped in Form V lightsaber combat.

11. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Well i've always been a strong supporter of more novels on individual Jedi. Considering I, Jedi is one of my favorite novels of all time and Corran's one of my favorite characters i'd definitely be willing to put money into a book on his son. Though to be honest, I don't really feel I have the best grasp of Valin's character, which again I just feel is the problem with the current era. So many Jedi with interesting story potential not getting enough spotlight.

12. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    He is only a few years younger than Jacen and Jaina. Born roughly 13 ABY (He was 6 in Specter of the Past) Speaking of Ages, I just learned that Mara was born in 17 BBY.

13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    What we need Disney to do is a Teen Novel like YJK. Those books were a blessing to the whole EU. Whilst the Big 3 were going on adventures, Jacen and Jaina got a whole group of classmates/friends that became Tenel Ka Lowie Zekk and Raynar Thul. JJK added Anakin and Tahiri. Then Tesar Tekli and Alema were added to the class in NJO. The Solo kids have friends, who does Ben have? The GAG (most dead) and his family. Give him his young adult series with romance going on small adventures, nothing galaxy saving, maybe world saving... add other Jedi, voila! Young adult books for teens as a jumping point into the ST if they get interested

Skywalker2B and Zorrixor like this.
  14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That's a good point. The ST would finally provide a reason for them to do some new YJK books without worrying that the era was too difficult for kids to get into since there'd now be films.

15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Have Ben Skywalker, maybe Seha or Kiara and a few alien Jedi fight against Vestara. You can have her disappear by the final book, prior to EP 7. I always imagined that Derek was Kyle Katarn's (possibly illegitamate) son, either Derek Katarn or Derek Ors. The reason he flew in the Falcon was because Kyle was on board due to his injuries, and he wanted his son along...

16. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I, too, am a big Horn family fan. My Rebel Legion jedi costume is based on the pic of Corran that you have as your avatar (http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/co...bu=coslist.php?view=my&bl=Back+to+my+costumes ...now have the goatee, but will not grow out my hair that long.) At CVI, I asked about them doing a new teen novel series like YJK. The panel liked the idea, but said that those were not Del Rey's swim lane.

I love your ideas for Valin! I'd like to see them use him and Jysella more.

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Well as to the fact that Del Rey is could lose their contract to Hyperion. I could see them writing books at the level the Kingdom Keepers series. Six Jedi, probably 2-3 Humans. In fact, do we know that Del Rey owns the rights to young adult books? Scholastic does the junior chapter books. Disney could green light a young adult series whenever perhaps. Not to mention, I think Del Rey is trying to keep the contract through the Disney change. I could see Disney returning their contract under the condition they get the young adult novel rights back.

18. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Let us not forget, between the Horn Parents and the Antilles parents, there are infinite connections. Corran and Iella worked at CORSEC together, Wedge grew up with Mirax. Then Corran marries Mirax, Wedge marries Iella. Both of their children are ring bearer and flower girl in the Skywalker wedding (I think). It is almost as if they were destined for each other. While I would accept a passing mention about Corran being gone to prepare Valin's wedding or Wedge making a comment about Syal's wedding bankrupting him. I would like to see the romance in much the same way we saw romances in the Rogue Squadron series.

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I was upset when they gave Valin Force Psycosis. The only reason I kept reading was to make sure he remained alive. Jysella was unused up until FotJ, so now she is kind of important. She has a little more back story. I thought "the unit" was stupid. Bazel Warv worked his way into being cool before dying. Yaqeel held no intrest, which means she will fade into obsurity rather than be killed off in order to propel her friends down a course of action. I think that Valin's friends should include Kolir, due to his banter with her in Fury, Doran Tainer, Rogue and Wraith child= Awesomeness, Yanthar Bwau'tu, military related, maybe a Selonian Jedi, Ithorian Jedi. His non Jedi contacts could be the old Rogues and their kids, mainly Syal and Myri, his grandfather and Errant Venture staff, perhaps some Corellian contacts.

Would love to see Valin drop the Jedi robes for a more inconspicious approach of civilian clothes/armor. Maybe save Corellia once, get some first class Bloodstripes. Fly either a Corellian freighter like the Falcon or have Booster give him a crusier, like a CR-70 to fly around.

Oh and Whistler, that droid needs to be Valin's now. Pass the torch Corran. Are you really using your droid while sitting in the Council Chambers?

Maybe Valin's enemies could include a child of Thyne or Loor, the Peace Brigade Remnant, a Corellian Drug Cartel...?

Skywalker2B likes this.
  20. djemsostylist

djemsostylist Jedi Knight

Mar 8, 2012
    In my head canon, Syal and Valin are like those two perfect, really annoying "golden" kids who are totally the favorites and stuff, and like, totally date and are annoying as all get up, and Myri and Jysella are secretly dating and hate those two, and are like, super goth kids who just want their parents to go away and spend their time dying their hair and listening to tragic music. And the Antilles and Horns live in one of those duplexes with a door that connects them, and Wedge and Iella are super boring and like, read the paper and drink coffee and Wedge gardens in his old rebel t-shirt and wobbles around with his knobby knees and Iella is a college professor, and Corran and Mirax are like super kinky and wander around naked "connecting with the force" and getting high and buying knockoff artwork and selling it as the real deal. Myri and Jysella just want to leave but Valin and Syal are like, all chill and cool with their parents and stuff. :D

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Cause Wedge loves to garden and Corran loves to be a nudist? That fits with their characters.

22. djemsostylist

Mar 8, 2012
    I mean, the dude did date an otter, and spent most of "I, Jedi" trying to convince himself not to have illicit affairs. I figure he is not averse to a little bit of voyeurism

Also, idk, but Wedge just strikes me as the gardening type, who like, visits Corellian Home Depot every weekend.

I just love these guys:p

23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    You have a point, but Corran seems more human to me by resisting temptation. It wasn't like his wife disappeared and he started going clubbing...

24. djemsostylist

Mar 8, 2012
    True. He just became batman instead :D

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Very true :D Corran is boss. Would love Correllian Jedi Trilogy. Have Corran Horn, Valin Horn, Jysella Horn, Waxarn Kel (retcon him as Corellian), a Selonian, a Drall, include Mirax, Booster, the Antilles, and a few more...