main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Video game based movies! Errr stop making them please?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Glockenspiel, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Yeah, but if it tries to follow the actual movie it's gonna suck arse.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Resident Evil was the most pointless excuse for a video game movie EVER.<<

I'd have to say that "honor" goes to Double Dragon or Street Fighter- now THOSE were bad movies that make Resident Evil look Cameron-esque by comparison.

BTW, I went and rented Resident Evil this weekend, just to see if my initial reaction to the film was manipulated by the theatrical presentation and audience reactions. And I must say, it's really not that bad of a movie (especially when one doesn't make any mental comparisons to other films it shares similarities with), although by no means a "great" film, it's certainly more enjoyable than any other video game movie I can think of (with the possible exception of the MK series). Although the CGI on that tongue-creature was definetly sub-par.

Oh well, regardless, I'm interested to see what Resident Evil: Nemesis holds (although I'm sure I'll end up learning the basic storyline from the game [once I've played it] before the movie ever comes out).

Anyways, to get more on topic here- like I somewhat said above, once video games are looked at as just another source for movie adaptation (like novels, comics and short stories) and treated as such, your bound to get high quality filmed based on games.

As a sidethought- it would be pretty sweet to have a live action film set in the Starcraft universe; It'd be the perfect opportunity to have hardcore, gritty sci-fi battle sequences- imagine a battle scene out of saving private ryan or any vietnam film, only instead of choppers you got drop ships and wraiths and instead of charlies you got protoss and Zerg in the mix.

3. MoldyBread

MoldyBread Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 10, 2000
    To be entirely honest, I enjoyed all the movies made from video games i saw when they came out. of course, Super Mario Brothers came out when I was 11 along with Double Dragon, Street Fighter appeared when I was 12, and Mortal Kombat when I was 13. Those were the games I played at that age, and I think that I was definately their target audience: pre-teen males that played video games.

It didn't really matter how true to the games the movies were back then, becasue most of the games didn't have a whole lot of plot. Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat were just fighting games. As long as all the characters form the games appeared in the movies I was happy. The only disappointment I had with any of them was with the end of Mario Brothers: They left it wide open for a sequel - but they never made one!

4. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat were just fighting games.

They also had storyline, and a history. That SF movie was laughable. Silent Hill might make a good film. If you discount about an hour's worth of silence. But hey, Castaway did it.

Some movies made into video games that SUCKED!

Fifth Element (Suckay!)
    MIB (Hey, K, do you think our game sucks? "Why yes, J, I do. We should fire our agents")
    Rambo (LAAAAAAAAAAMMMMEEEEE!!!)
    Total Recall (Oh the humanity!)
    Karate Kid (Wax on, wax off, wax on, game suck)
    Star Wars*NES* (Let's try not to follow the movie as much as possible! Great idea!)
    Judge Dredd (While fun, it still sucked)
    Street Fighter: The movie er. Game based on movie (Who's going to go home? And who's going to go home with me?!)
    ID4 (Oooh look, another game based on a Will Smith flick. Beware any game based on his movies, they're bound to suck.)

Any other movie games that sucked? Post 'em here.

5. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    This thread seems like JCC material to me. There isn't much discussion going on here, just ranting about how bad video game movies are. If you want to turn this into a more serious thread, PM me and I'll reopen it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.