main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atlantic Views on the Iraq situation

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Ramble_Boba, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    If the US had not used atomic weapons in WW2, the world today would almost certainly be a different, much worse place, and I'm pretty sure that my own country of Australia, and my city of Brisbane, would be under Japanese control.

History disagrees with that statement.

Let's take a look at the world in August 1945, shall we? Hitler is dead. Germany is in ruins. 2.3 million German civilians have been murdered by America. Japan has lost her empire. The Japanese garrisons at Okinawa and Iwo Jima have fallen. They have been pushed back to the Japanese home islands, where they are trapped. The Red Army, having secured Eastern Europe and established what would later become the Iron Curtain, is advancing on Japan through Manchukuo (Manchuria). Emperor Hirohito is pleading with the Japanese government for surrender. It is being considered.

It was only a matter of time, and Japan did not have the military capability to invade Australia at the time. Far from it. Had America set up a defence perimeter and blocked all cargo ships headed for Japan, they would have run out of oil within weeks, and would have been forced to surrender. Nobody would have died. But, the Red Army was on its way, and America was determined to "liberate" Japan before Russia could. As well, Truman wanted to show Stalin the powerful weapons that he possessed. The hundreds of thousands of innocent Japanese that died as a result of those bombs, two of them, being dropped on populated cities, were the first victims of the cold war.

2. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    I know Tammy is going to request proof of said murders, so here you are

No, Chris, I wouldn't of. I'm not ignorant to some of the things America has done.

However, have you heard any reports about America standing ready to use their weapons? No. We have them, but we don't intend to use them. Apparantly, Saddam has all intentions in the world of using his. Korea has come right out and declared they would use theirs. A few terriosts came and blew the hell outta our towers. Did we automatically declare, hey, we're gonna use our nukes against you jerks! No, we didn't. We could of, but we didn't.

I never agreed with the use of the nukes in Japan. However, at the time, I don't think anyone, much less the United States, understood exactly what they had created, and what it could do. Nuclear war was way before its time.

Just because I say I support the war doesn't necessarily mean I support killing innocent people. Christian or not, killing has never been in my blood, and I go so far as to hide my head when it's happening on TV. But I do support my President, and trust that he will make the right decisions.

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I don't believe Iraq intends to use their WMD either. I don't trust your president to do anything right.

4. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Guess it's a good thing he's my President and not your Prime Minister, huh?

5. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    Well that makes no differnce over here with Blair been his worshipper

6. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    i think war ewith iraq is pointless. sure, he's bad and he just may have dsome big weapons, but he's just gonna be replaced by another idiot. i dunno.

oh, and Norht Korea is a bigger threat than Iraq right now, IMO. if we go after anyone, it should be them. i dunno.

7. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Saddam = bad
    War = bad
    Death of Inocent people = Worst
    Taking out Saddam = necesary
    Violence = always a better way (read the Bible hypocrites [face_plain] )

8. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    My friend Dave wrote this in my yearbook last year:

Remember, where logic fails violence works

And my friend Trish wrote this:

Fight gun control; shoot back

What a world we live in, huh?

9. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    War=murder

Bush=teh murderer

10. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Bush=teh murderer

Bush ain't killed anyone [face_plain]

Hopefully, it'll never come to war. But we all have dreams, I guess.

11. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    You don't have to kill someone to be a murderer. You can give the order to kill someone. As far as I know, Hitler never personally killed someone, but I'm sure we all agree that he was a murderer.

12. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Point taken, Chris.

But I don't believe anything that Bush has done should label him a murderer, per se. I think everything he has done so far as been within reason. Saddam has a history of proving himself to be dishonest and deceitful. Why stop now?

13. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Bush is only doing what his daddy wants him to do.

My instructor calls him "Shrub" compared to Bush senior.

14. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Bush is finishin what his father should have done all those years ago. More power to him.

15. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    What happened in the past should be left in the past. It isn't his battle.

16. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I feel bad for the Iraqi troops. I really do. They must be scared as Hell. It's not easy to surrender to a cruise missle. They will die, along with many innocent civilians, and their country will be occupied and exploited.

God help them.

17. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    I wonder what people think at their last moment of living...ya know when that bullet hits them? They will never see the faces of their loved ones...and the many joys of living...they must feel the fear of the darkness closing in to never awaken again...

18. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    That's something I thought about a lot when I served in the militia. What if I die on some distant battlefield, fighting a war I don't believe in. It must be horrible. That's one of the reasons why I left. I'll gladly give my life in service to my country, but only to protect Canadians, acquire new lands, or to protect our existing ones. I would not be willing to give my life fighting against Iraq, or the Taliban, or anything like that. If America were ever to invade us, I'd enlist, and take as many of them with me as I could. Ditto for if we were ever to invade them. Or, if Iraq attacked Canada, then I'd fight. I have a mentality not unlike the Japanese one in WW2. To die for your country is a great honour. No surrender. But, die for oil? Never.

19. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    I was talking about innocent civilians too.

20. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Personnaly its the mines that I love the most. Now there's a way to remind people that the USA was there to help you [face_plain]

21. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    //whispers to Saddam

Just feed Bush pretzels, that'll do him in. [face_mischief]

22. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    Well in many ways I agree with AT60s last post. I am a passicifist(which I can't spell) and have always have been. But if a country tried to invade Britian I would serve my country, but thats my only exception, invasion of where I live.

My dad and sister are behind this war, and was saying I don't want it because I don't want to risk been called up and having to work(my sister thinks I'm lazy because I haven't got a job, but I am looking for one the silly fool) But how can they even dare call me up for a fight I don't believe in, to serve a purpose my life has always been against and for a war that the majority of our people are against but the man we elected won't listen to us anymore

23. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Why is it that the US thinks they should get "weaponsofmassdestruction" but no one else. Why don't they lead by example if the things are so evil?

And it's "pacifist", FYI.

24. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Yes, sure Saddam is evil and killed his own son, but what did he have to do with Sept. 11? He was one of the first to come forward to say he didn't do it.

25. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Just because he said he didn't do it doesn't mean he didn't have a hand in it in some way...I refer to Chris' "you don't need to kill someone to be a murderer" point.

But how can they even dare call me up for a fight I don't believe in, to serve a purpose my life has always been against and for a war that the majority of our people are against but the man we elected won't listen to us anymore

Welcome to the feelings of most of our troops that went to Vietnam. We should never have been there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.