main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Virus alert

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithForceLord, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Hey,

Attn: all those who use Hotmail.

(this is not a foward from someone else saying watch out - blah blah blah)

I just recieved an E-Mail from (get this) my parents (VERY ODD I KNOW) and the email was titled:

à=!"#? $? %

I opened it and it had an attachment - hotmail detected a virus and so I closed it and deleted it. My parents havnt sent an email to anyone let alone me! so im a little confused. If any of you get a similar "oddly" titled email - delete it instantly.

EDIT =

oh, and BTW where it has the "sender's email" it had:

undisclosed (or something)

and the attachment was called:

PRELOAD

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I got one from them too, with a different title and attachment.

I'll do some research & try and figure out what they (or you) have done...

...after dinner.

3. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    hmmm - do you think it's sent a similar email to all in mum and dad's email "address book"?

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It's weird, as they don't use Outlook or Outlook Express, which makes me think it came in via your ICQ or something you DL'd.

Go to this page and click on "Scan for Viruses" to see what your machine is infected with;

Symanetec Security Check

Let me know the results via PM (don't email or ICQ me!).

5. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I tried that "scan for viruses" thing on that web site and got this thing saying i didnt have the right ActiveX thingy or something.

I then got Disconnected and I couldnt keep a connection open.

Then I did my own Norton AntiVirus check on C drive and it found one virus - when it had scanned all files it said do i want to clean it - blah blah blah

ended up this was the virus:

W98.Levi.3205

it was eliminated

I am now on and am doing that web site's "search for viruses" and I think before i may have (without realiseing) presses "no" to accepting the software DL - this time it seems to be scanning my PC = good thing.

6. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    (jp - i didnt PM you this as my net conenction has been "dodgy" [disconnecting me all the time etc] and so i had this "post reply" open and thought i better get the info to you A.S.A.P instead of mucking around with a PM [clicking your name then the "send PM" button etc]).

ok - its 1am and im trying to keep my eyes open as this web site scans the PC. i thought "hmmm" and opened mum and dad's PMail - and clicked the button to get new emails (not open them) and there were 12 new, all about the virus.

one from an administrator from "@asbbank.co.nz" (odd that it's from the back)
    one from "@lucasfilm.com" (again odd to me)
    ten (all the same title) from "NAV for Microsoft Exchange - SERVER
    and the last from Philip Bellhouse (i dont know who/what that is)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.