main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Visiting Paris in May...

Discussion in 'Archive: France - North' started by keithabbott, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    Marc said I should post here...so here I am. :) Bonjour! I don't remember much from my French class, so I'll stick with my English for now until I can spend some time brushing up on my French.

So...basically I'll be in France for a few days in May. At least I believe it's in May. I need to find out the exact dates and then get back to you all.

Needless to say I'll be in Paris I believe for 2 days...then I will have a few days to go ANYWHERE in France that I want. I just have no idea where I should go. Any ideas? :) I like scenery yes but not so much interested in going to places where you look at something and say..."oh that's nice" and then that's it. I like to do things with the people who live there and emerse myself in the culture of the country I'm in rather than visit all the tourist traps. But I do like some of the tourist places..like I would like to see parts of the Louvre.

I've already been to Strousbourg before. Not much of interest there from what I remember from my last trip to France. Why they didn't want to go to Paris, I have no idea. It was some Orchestra tour group that I was a part of, so the planners skipped Paris and went to Strousbourg. *shrug*

Anyhow, I'd love to have a drink, see the Star Wars stores, etc. Anything of interest that a Star Wars fan would typically enjoy. I also love music, movies and the arts. Plus I'm going to need to find an Internet cafe so I can check my email if they have those in Paris. )

So for the next few months it would be great getting to know you all. And maybe if I'm lucky there will be a Fan Force event I can attend while I'm there. know I might only be able to understand so much since I only took 3 years of French, but I'll do my best. It's a shame though the last time I studied French was in 1987..so it's been almost 20 years!!!

Au revoir,
    Keith

2. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Looks like I'll be in Paris May 2nd through May 4th. And will be in France for another 5-7 days. Anyone have any suggestions where I might want to go in France besides Paris? A particular place every Star Wars fan can't pass up? :)

Keith

3. MARCOLAS

MARCOLAS FF France North CR - FanForce Logo Designer star 6

Apr 3, 2001
    "Anyone have any suggestions where I might want to go in France besides Paris? A particular place every Star Wars fan can't pass up?"

Maybe Disneyland and Star Tour :p
    I don't really know, it depends what you want to see (see, moutains, castle, cities...).
    1st of May is a public holiday in France, so some places or stores may be closed.

4. akhun

akhun Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 5, 2000
    Almost everything should be closed on that day (May, 1st) :p

5. Nwalme Jade

Nwalme Jade Ex(patriated) RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 13, 2000
    Museums won't be, though. Same with parks or, I guess, big department stores.

6. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Well, I've been to Disneyworld in Florida so many times I can't even remember how many times. hehe. But is it the same Star Tours as the one in Florida you think? I'd imagine so unless they've updated it since I went like over 7 years ago which might be the case. Even still I've heared mixed reviews about Disneyland in France. Granted, it seems odd to even think about going there but it could be entertaining as long as it's kinda warm out I guess. I'll have to think about that one. :)

I've pretty much done the castle thing throughout Europe before. They are okay, but not something I want to waste any, or too much of my time on. Like for example if there were some Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc. exhibit going on...or some particular concert with John Williams music...stuff like that, I'd definitely want to go. :)

I am into really nice scenery, but if I decide to go somewhere outside of Paris, I'd really like there to be more than just scenery. Hopefully that makes sense. I want to make sure the trip is worth the ride..make a good day of it.

I'll actually be leaving the United States on the May 1st and arriving in Paris on May 2nd. So I would assume most things will be open? :)

So feel free to give me any hints as to what might be fun. I'm not the typical tourist. Just tell me what kinds of things you'd find fun out there to do yourselves. And if there are any Fan Force events while I'm there, I'd like to attend.

Oh and thanks a lot for posting your suggestions. Hopefully I can meet up with you all when I'm there. That would be a lot of fun.

Keith

7. Kdace

Kdace RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 23, 2001
    There lots of toys, comic books, starwars, LOTR things in stores around Boulevard Saint Michel. A nice district, lots of people, students, bars, pubs, internet cafes. Some landmarks with the Pantheon where we buried people who were really important for France and Luxembourg gardens with lots of people enjoying sun and ice cream.

For Arts you should go to Beaubourg, the modern art museum. A strange building with artists juggling, playing music...etc in front of it.

8. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    That sounds kinda nice. I am looking to go to one of the internet cafes that's for sure. Granted, I looked at the pricing at one particular place. Don't you think 3 Euros is a bit much for 15 minutes? I could waste 15 minutes online without even thinking about it. 30 minutes...doable.

I had heard about that contemporary art museum some many years ago. I always thought it was a fascinating design concept. Is there anything else of interest in Beaubourg?

Keith

9. Kdace

Kdace RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 23, 2001
  10. Nwalme Jade

Apr 13, 2000
    Yeah, they have temporary and permanent exhibitions which are usually intriguing. They also organize some cinema retrospectives (currently, Bollywood movies). Quite lively cultural institution.

As for SW shops, I doubt you'd find anything you don't already have in the US; the prices are also ridiculously high.

11. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    I stopped by the Centre George Pompidou site this morning. Hopefully they will have some new exhibits by May. The surrealists exhibit might be interesting. I also enjoy impressionistic artwork also.

So what else do you think Beaubourg has to offer besides the museum and the related activities?

As for shoppping, I'm used to outrageous prices for Star Wars merchandise here in Richmond. It's probably not as bad as New York, but at least I'd imagine Paris would have a better selection than what I do here at home. Granted, if I went to Washington D.C. I'd probably find everything I'm looking for.

But I do enjoy shopping. Clothes shopping could be interesting.

Keith

12. Nwalme Jade

Apr 13, 2000
  13. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Monet's house eh? Anything there in particular of interest? Is there some type of art gallery in his house by chance?

Keith

14. MARCOLAS

Apr 3, 2001
    Yep, art gallery, and a beautiful garden where he has drawn "nympheas" and so. Very nice place

15. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Hmm...that could be interesting. I do like Monet. But I do need to find more to do than just that while I'm there. :)

Keith

16. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Anyone interested in getting together sometime between the 2nd and the 4th? I'll be in Paris three days at least, so...if anyone wants to see a movie (hopefully one in English hehe)...or something..I'd love to meet some of you guys.

Keith

17. MARCOLAS

Apr 3, 2001
    We can have a couple of drinks, it's ok.
    Maybe on Monday evening ?

18. jawa24

jawa24 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    It Works for me :)

19. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    That sounds great. I'm not sure about the hotel this travel agent booked for me, but it's called the Hotel Du Bois. I sure hope it's not too bad. *fingers crossed*

Supposedly it's really close to the Arc of Triumph. I guess if I have a nice view of the street that wouldn't be too bad. :)

So if you went out to dinner (not too expensive) where might you go? and what might you eat? I know that's a loaded question..but any pointers would be nice.

Oh and any of you members of the 501st?
    Keith

20. MARCOLAS

Apr 3, 2001
    We usually go to bar and restaurants close to the Pantheon.
    It's a bit early to plan things I think. But we can keep in touch and send PM to each other in a couple of weeks, ok ?

Edit
    What kind of food do you like to eat ? Chinese ? Italian ? French ?

And nobody is from the 501st, but I can give you emails of 501st members if you want :)

21. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    I'm fairly open with food. Chinese..Italian..it's all good but I haven't had French food in many many years. I'm sure to get my fill of it when I'm there, but nothing's wrong with that. So maybe somewhere that serves both French and Italian but if not I'd go with French..no doubt.

Email addresses for 501st would be great actually, thanks.

So what's the Disneyland like over there? Is it as bad as I've heard it is? Compared to the two over here in the US? I haven't been in years to the ones here but it might be fun to do.

Keith

22. MARCOLAS

Apr 3, 2001
    Never been to the US Disneyland but the French one is very expensive.
    I gonna think of a chinese, japanese or italien restaurant. We love asian food :)

23. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Very expensive? Hmm maybe I'll need to check their web site for costs. I guess it could be.

It could be interesting to eat French Chinese food. :) No matter where you go, the only way you can get authentic food is to have it in it's authentic country. It could be an interesting experience to say the least. Chinese does sound good though. :)

24. MARCOLAS

Apr 3, 2001
    I have contacted French 501st. I try to do something with them :)

25. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Great! :) I'm considering Disneyland but there is this really interesting theme park in the Netherlands I might want to go to instead. Can't decide. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.