main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVI Volunteer?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by AricaBolts, Feb 16, 2012.

1. AricaBolts

AricaBolts Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2011
    I'm looking into Volunteering at Celebration VI but don't know much about it, I?ve been checking back on the page and haven't found the signup sheet, it still says 'early 2012'

To anyone who volunteered at V:

What sort of things are they looking for volunteers to do?
    Do they accept applications out of state? (I live west coast not east coast...)
    Do you need to show up a few days early to set up and how far ahead was it?
    Do they accept people under 18 with leadership and proven experience/maturity? (Long, Long, Long, Resume.)
    Do you need a resume?
    Would you need to not volunteer a day to actually experience the celebration itself? (I?ve never been to a Celebration!)

_

Anything you could tell me about this would be great!

Thank you so Much!

Arica.

2. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Here is the link to the form (CVI specific at the bottom):

http://www.officialpixvolunteers.com/signup.php

3. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Hi, I volunteered for Reed and OPIX for CV and couldn't recommend it enough. Both experiences really made the event that much more special for me.

What sort of things are they looking for volunteers to do?
    The first day I was packing gift bags for VIPS. I worked in the store for a shift, directed traffic a few times,worked in the laser tag arena for a bit. If you have a costume they have special jobs for you. The key is to stay busy, be motivated and always ask if there is something you can do to help while you are on duty.

Do they accept applications out of state? (I live west coast not east coast...)
    Yes. I'm from Massachusetts.

Do you need to show up a few days early to set up and how far ahead was it?
    Yes, there was a staff meeting on Wednesday afternoon.

Do they accept people under 18 with leadership and proven experience/maturity? (Long, Long, Long, Resume.)
    Not sure, but I do not remember seeing anyone who looked under 18 volunteering.

Do you need a resume?
    I was not asked to provide a resume, but there is an online form to fill out which asks for relevant experience.

Would you need to not volunteer a day to actually experience the celebration itself? (I?ve never been to a Celebration!)
    I think you can volunteer for all but two shifts (there were two each day). I think if you volunteered a minimum of four shifts there were some extra perks in addition to your staff badges and event t-shirts. I volunteered for four shifts.

It's not always easy to get a spot as a volunteer, but the experience is amazing if you can. I purposely chose to work during the Main Event because I knew I would never get in to see the show. While I was volunteering in the store I was there while George Lucas and Lucasfilm employees had the store to themselves and was about 10 feet from him as he left the store. One of my favorite CV memories.

Good luck!

_

4. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    There are two different volunteer options, they are totally separate as far as the Celebration goes. Reed staffs all the events, lines, store, shows etc. Offical Pix is responsible for the Autograph Hall. I volunteered for both. If you volunteer for OPIX you could be sitting with a celeb helping them, working behind the scenes getting pictures ready, helping with lines, etc. That was a really fun part of the event, I loved volunteering for OPIX, they treated everyone really well. It's very busy and you need to work, but for me, it was the best part of the week. Depending on how many sessions you volunteer they may give some perks like pins, free autographs, but you'd at least get an OPIX t-shirt to wear while you are working.