main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Palpatine in-love with Anakin's Power?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Old_Zen, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    I apologize. I'm just getting fed up with all these people putitng me down and claming that I have mental problems, its very offensive for someone who is sensative and yes may be a bit mentally unbalanced, who knows. But I did'nt meant everyone here was an animal. It was only a animilistic burst of anger. ;)

2. Kirk_Kanos

Kirk_Kanos Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2006
    I don't think you need to apologise here Old_Zen,

I think everyone knows that the Lust we are talking about is for power and not of a sexual nature, as for the comments on C3PO, i did not she him referred to as being a gay robot, as if theres any sexual orientation in robots, all that was said was that he had a femmine way about him, I mearly commented on this saying well he is a tranlater, and women/ nice guys even are more suited to this kind of PR work, so I think it makes sense that he was created that way, would it have worked if it was a deep talking masculine translator robot, I think not. I have reread my own posts and do understand how this could quite easily be confused with a topic about where Palp and Ani gay. But that was not how they where meant to be taking.
    The whole point is they both lusted after what one another had, Power, and also control for Palp. An interesting twist to this might be was it maybe also a bit of fear on Palps part, due to the fact that if he could not control Ani, he knew he could not beat him, therefore thats why he doubled up his efforts to befriend and become this father figure to him.

Just a thought,

3. angelicusdiablos

angelicusdiablos Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    a note to OldZen:
    Its very brave to see someone present a topic describing a homoerotic subtext for the movies. However you must apreciate what others may not, hence their retorts. Most people arent particularily partial to their heroes being conveyed as something there most likely not. Especially if deals with the derogatory taboo's of an older man lusting after a younger boy. (or even if it were a younger girl, whatever. im not bashing sexuality here.)This has all the unfortunate signs of someone revelling in there own interprations simply seeing what they want they to see. Its a macabre self indulgence. Sure, just as anything else your suspicions are a possibility; but ultimatley you know they are just not true. Lucas wanted to integrate a classic father/son subtexts to his story but none of these were of a homoerotic-odeopal context.

;) angelicusdiablos

4. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I don't think Lucas had gay sex in mind when he established Palpatine as Anakin's mentor. For one thing, these movies are meant for kids.

I'm generally pretty relaxed in my criticism of a thread, but this one is pretty ridiculous.

5. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    I agree,this is pretty ridiculous,or at least some of the replies here are [face_plain]
    Palpatine obviously doesn't love Anakin.He ONLY wants to USE his powers to take over the Republic.Didn't you watch this movie?He doesn't love anyone...only his Unlimited Power!!!So there....

6. Dark_Disciple

Dark_Disciple Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2005
    I don't think speculative debate ever did any one any harm. If a thread topic is not to one's liking though, then simply don't participate in it, that's all there is to that. Again, I think everyone's getting excited about the terminlogy here. 'Love' is probably not the right word to use here, but looking at Sid's reactions in the turn scene especially, there does seem to be a certain frisson in his portrayal there. Whatever the nature of that 'thrill' happens to be is up to the viewer. People can see things as they so choose, no one is making a judgement on interpretation for others here, it's personal, no matter what GL may have wanted in those scenes. Sometimes things look like they can be more, despite a director's motivation and objective. I don't think other viewpoints here are meant to win anyone over, it's just fun to sometimes take these things and play around with them, in an academic way. Is that wrong? I thought we were all here to have fun and talk and debate, things don't need to get political or get bogged down by personal tastes and distastes. Why must things degenerate so quickly on topics that may be considered a little 'out there'. Is there no room for such debate within the context of ROTS on these sorts of topics?

7. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Brokeback Mountain ROTS is not ;)

8. Dark_Disciple

Dark_Disciple Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2005
    Yeah no kidding!:D BM, full blown gay romance. ROTS, one character who may have got some 'charge' out of knowing he's got 'unlimited power' and mastership over the newest Sith in the galaxy. Two totally different beasts there! [face_peace]

9. DarthDischarge

DarthDischarge Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2004
    Ok the question is over 20 years a human being gets an itch and needs it scratched, a simple fact about being human. Palpatine is human.. and Vader is his slave. Vader later sez he MUST OBEY HIS MASTER!!

When the itch occurs does palpatine send out for some handmaidens someplace or does he use Vader as the Gimp? The costume fits the bill for sure...lol

Personally I hope its the handmaidens, But ya never knowwwwwwww!

10. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Alright, you've all been warned several times. The next person to make a comment like this, is gonna take a short vacation.

11. Bend_Ovi_Kenobi

Bend_Ovi_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    I don't think anyone can sanely make the assertation that the characters of Vader and Sids are homosexual. And you are correct, robots cannot be sexual creatures from the evidence in agffa.

This thread has hooked me in because of the possible undertones of culture that may have slipped into the trilogy. There is nothing wrong with this at all, there is nothing non-pc about sexuality in movies anymore (look at brokeback mountain). So the relationship between the main players here (ani, padme, sids, and obi), can be deconstructed in such a way as to suggest that the movie has been desensitized from freeing sexuality in a non-sexual way.

In a metaphoric way, the characters can be seen to alternately display these characteristics:

Obi - Plays the part of the spurned lover convincingly, complete with a big blowout at the end when he learns of ani's secret indescretions. This character, when looked at from this angle follows the archetype of the spurned lover nicely.

Sids - He plays the part of the lusty and irresistable mistress for ani. Much like micheal douglas' character was seduced by demi moore in disclosure, although douglas' character does not fall to the dark side. This mistress archetype can be found in many movies, its quite obvious now, actually.

Padme - She is Ani's jiminy cricket. He tries to hide things from her, but she always knows what is going on. She tries to keep him from the sultry mistress and on the path of good. Eventually Ani has to hurt her to stop her voice in his head.

Ani - Finally, Anakin himself is the young boy, trying to learn about himself and his powers. Much like a person entering puberty, the force can be a strange thing to get used to as his body starts going through changes. He ultimately falls into the arms of the mistress and breaks Obi's heart in the process.

Hmmmm, much to chew on there is.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anthony Daniels has played Threepio as a stuffy, British butler type. The kind who is at home doing the duties that he's programmed for. He's not comfortable engaging in high risk adventures, like Artoo. This is why he's always in a tizzy when it comes to firefights and Han Solo's piloting skills.

13. Bend_Ovi_Kenobi

Bend_Ovi_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    But Sinister, what of the deeper issues discussed in the thread? The 3po=gaymale theory has been around for years. This Sids lusting for ani and ani giving in has many nooks and crevices left as of yet unexplored.

14. angelicusdiablos

angelicusdiablos Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    Im very aware that these threads excercise respect for other members and there opinions however this thread is absolutley beyond the pale. There are alot of things you can speculate about the star war trilogies and very easily justify your theories with a clever interpetation here and there. But theres a point where common sense needs to kick in and a fine line is drawn.

Of course Palpatine was not in love with Anakin!!!

Why would you even want to tarnish the movie with such a concept. If it were even a possibilty I would be open minded to discussing it but we clearly all know that this IS NOT THE CASE!!! Lucas did not intend on this to be a motif central to the films theme. Im really surprised that this thread is still going on. This frenzied trail of thought belongs in some alternative fan fiction site for people who like to fantasise about sordid subtexts that do not exist.

15. Magical_Maestro

Magical_Maestro Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2005
    I warned you.

16. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    it's interesting thst you bash the thread and in the same breath complain about the anakin kissing obi holiday banner. are you afraid of even discussing it? it seems that way, for sure, what if palps turns out to be gay? oh no, right? that's unheard of in the GFFA, right? and because it purely relies on our *interpretation* mind you, it's automatically invalid.
    i did think it's impossible to discuss here anyway, i would not have thought of putting it up and reading through the gay bashing here makes me sick to my stomach. cannot even discuss these things without being branded silly.

to my mind (and it looks like to others, too) there was a strange undercurrent to palps' words when he said, the force is strong with you' etc and some of us made a connection that there is some attraction going on with palps and a beautiful young man. gay or no gay. that's all.

as dark disciple wisely said, if you don't like the thread, just stay out of it. it's not too hard, is it?

17. Magical_Maestro

Magical_Maestro Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2005
    are you afraid of even discussing it? it seems that way, for sure, what if palps turns out to be gay? oh no, right? that's unheard of in the GFFA, right?

Considering no one in the GFFA is gay, there's nothing to discuss other than the sheer absurdity of this thread. However if you want to fantasize about Palpatine being an old queen salavating over Anakin (which let me tell ya is one more weird ass fantasy), then that's your and Zen's perogative. That fantasy though has no place in here. End. Of. Story.

18. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    so where do you get it that no one in the GFFA is gay?

19. odc

odc Jedi Master star 1

Jul 27, 2005
    This is a highly interesting topic, thanks for bringing it up.

If you watch the Vader-naming-scene and observe how Sidious just kinda breathes Anakin's power, it can easily be seen as "being in love" with his new apprentice. It's not in a purely homosexual way - I think there is more to that. Palpatine just needs Anakin in order to finally corrupt the Republic and having his Empire.

Many a nerd freaks out when you bring up the topic of sexuality in such clean adventures as Star Wars, but I am very happy that ROTS leaves many things up to our imagination and I think, yes, Palpatine lusts for Anakin. He lusts for his abilities and he lusts for Anakins character (being highly volatile and irrational). What do you need more in order to talk about love as such?

20. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005

21. odc

odc Jedi Master star 1

Jul 27, 2005
    That's not what I meant.
    GL doesn't cut out things we shouldn't see or understand. Many discussions here are being held because things are held ambiguous. That happens on purpose. This may or may not be true with this very discussion here, but still: As you see, people have different opinions on that subject, so there's definitely something to his (insert thread starter's name here) theory.

Btw - you left out vital infos from my quotes, such as: 'There's more to their relationship than what some people might think' and 'It's basically Anakin's character that Palpatin is after, so what more do you need to speak of a love-relationship?' (paraphrased).

22. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i'm whitcha, odc.:)

it's an ambiguous thing as he is clearly turned on by his new apprentice, something which we didn't see with maul or dooku. so maybe he has waited for this moment for a long time.

23. odc

odc Jedi Master star 1

Jul 27, 2005
    Since we're specifically talking about several ROTS-moments, I daresay this is not a movie for kids. It's aimed at an older audience, well aware of such moments (as this topic proves).

24. odc

odc Jedi Master star 1

Jul 27, 2005
    Thank you for your feedback - I see it exactly the same way, df.

25. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    and also: most of us discussing the films here are adults, so either we have not forsaken our inner kid or there's something in the films that also addresses our inner adult. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.