main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Palpatine in-love with Anakin's Power?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Old_Zen, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warsie

Warsie Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 23, 2005
    interesting. Anakin didn't get raped, and Palpatine seemed to genuinely care for Anakin (remember the Mustafar scene where Palpatine touches Anakin anmd the other 13 years of being nice to him)

Not in love.

2. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    I hesitate to expound based upon the overly kind comments above [face_blush], but Palps is as proudly 'blissful' of Anakin as a warrior king would be of his victorious and faithful knight, or a playoff head coach is of his prized champion athlete. Palps is the brains, Ani the brawn.

So in Campbell's myth-oriented vernacular Palps achieves his bliss at the expense of Anakin, who ironically surrenders his own quest for bliss by following the man who so convincingly (and deceitfully) promised it to him.

Palpatine is Emperor of the galaxy, Anakin is the 'king of pain.' (apologies to Sting).

To follow the musical analogy -- as Tina Turner once sang: "What's love got to do with it?"

3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Yea I'm pretty sure he just wanted to use him because like Anakin says, 'if your not with me,your my enemy'

Anakin is the only one really capable of destroying him, so he spends years obsessing with turning him to the darkside to insure he wont ever kill him. He doesn't get a sexual rush out of it,he just feeds off dark emotions and feels Anakins power which kinda gets him excited to make him his whipped pig.

4. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    no need to blush, obi-chron!
    although i have lost you a bit with this one. you mean anakin's bliss lay elsewhere right? i think i agree with you. he surrenders to palps because it's a necessity, not a pleasure. yet palps has both: necessity and pleasure.

5. sushimilk

sushimilk Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2005
    hmmm if this is true, its a wonder why palpy didnt clone anakin. he could have had a sithsome.

6. Obi-Chron

Nov 11, 2003
    ^^^
    In the EU Palps clones himself, the ultimately perfect incarnation of power. But he does so as a sort of 'escape pod' for his spritual essence,' not to be in two places at once.

That said, cloning Anakin would make an intersting EU novel -- a platoon of Anakin Clone Troopers or a band of 'dark jedi' serving Sidious without Vader's knowledge.

Expanding upon your idea, sushimilk, the ani-clones could've been used for replacement parts for Vader, making him 'stronger' by replacing his lost appendages.

7. Darth_BamBam

Darth_BamBam Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2005
    That's hillarious, I was thinking the same thing. When everyone reminded Zen that Palps can't love, Zen then says Palps wants to smoke Anakin?? [face_laugh] Is that why Palps keeps giving Anakin that blanket and asks him to roll up in it?[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Sorry Old_Zen, you make up a laughable topic, then ask us all to take is seriously. If I were 3PO, I probably would have short circuited from the illogic of your opening statement. does not compute...does not compute...

8. Magical_Maestro

Magical_Maestro Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2005

Obi-Chron, sushimilk is not talking about cloning Anakin for any other purposes' save a Ménage e twa. Or in plain English, a threesome. [face_laugh]

9. angelicusdiablos

angelicusdiablos Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    [face_tired] This thread inadvertantly has raised some interesting debates focusing on Palpatines relationship with Anakin and his desire for power. Im glad. However my opinion of the absurdity of this thread remains. Its not because its homoerotic its because its such a false notion that anyone who listens to there own sensibilities knows that this post never had any substance. As I said before this more than likely belongs to some sordid niche of fan-fiction. Sure its 2006 and everyone is open minded but those who advocate such a notion should know its tainting the greater princaples of Star Wars in which we believe. Its just not right. And save yourself a post before you decide to label me intolerant to homosexuality. Thats not the case. If someone posted was Padme in love with Kenobi Id have just as much disdain. We all have a taboo side in which we like to indulge but there is little need for sordid implications that have no basis.

:oops: It wasnt my intention to offend anyone here but I really had to get it off my chest. Thanks

10. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
  11. angelicusdiablos

Mar 10, 2005
    [face_peace] Glad im not alone here.

12. Obi-Chron

Nov 11, 2003
    I am alone, but unfraid -- because the mind is a terrible thing, and it must be stopped, before someone gets killed!

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The debate is fine. Junvinle jokes aren't.

14. angelicusdiablos

Mar 10, 2005

Im sorry to disagree with you DARTH SINISTER but theres nothing fine about this debate. I take little pleasure in finding non existant perversions. If your open minded enough to permit Old Zens implications then Im sure youll welcome the respective voice of opposing opinion; I trust we are in the presence of an unbiased moderator of course. I apreciate that the gestings of others are indeed counteractive. However you cannot silence the voice of adversity simply by shielding an alleged minority. Certainly I would never judge something for its ties with homosexuality but know one simple truth; that does not mean I cannot condemn them as I would any other heterosexual. It would appear quite a few hide behind the fact that there beliefs on this topic are fundamentally stemming from a minority. Any criticism against the homoerotic subtext suggested is distorted and accused of being subjective and prejudice or even as intolerance. Its almost as ridiculous as this thread. I dare say predict a retort: If you dont like it dont bother coming here. Well heres an epiphany for you, I dont like this thread, Ill read it as I please and Ill post as I see fit. So just dont bother.

[face_peace] I apologise for the aggression but the only minority that need assistance here are those with the common sense to object. Will anyone else succumb to the voice of reason.

15. Magical_Maestro

Dec 25, 2005
    Let's use some good old fashioned deductive reasoning here:

Male homosexuals exude sexual attraction towards other men.

Palpatine does not exude sexual attraction towards other men.

Therefore Palpatine is not a homosexual.

16. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i'm here, too!
    although i do guess that we have deduced that while palps enjoys the scenario and the power he has over anakin, anakin does not and neither has much enthusiasm for loving palps. so we *could* close the debate (if only the reactions of people weren't so silly at times)

i still find it sort of funny that people can get so worked up about the supposed purity of the GFFA characters. or the purity of george's vision. there is loads upon loads of loss of innocence going on ROTS alone so you'd think palps turning out to be gay is no big deal. but hey! murdering is fine and can be discussed, sexuality is a no-no.

17. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    interesting theories in this thread on homosexuality ... [face_worried]

how come I find some lesbians attractive and others not?
    how come I find some men, either gay or straight, attractive and others not?
    how come other women find different men and women attractive than I do?
    your deductive reasoning falls with the lack of generality of its first and second premise.

18. Magical_Maestro

Dec 25, 2005
    I haven't a clue, but what I do know is that my argument is sound because the conclusion follows the premises as a matter of necessity.

19. mandragora

May 28, 2005
    That won't help if the premises themselves are flawed.
    Different people find different men and women, gay/lesbian or straight, attractive. There's no such thing as universal attractivity.

20. Magical_Maestro

Dec 25, 2005
    After taking another gander at my contention, your absolutely right, so now allow me to revise it:

If Palpatine were homosexual, Lucas would have said so, or in some way, alluded to this possibility.

Lucas does not ever say so, nor does he ever allude to this possibility.

Therefore Palpatine is not a homosexual.

Better?

21. mandragora

May 28, 2005
    Better - although I don't agree with the idea that nothing that hasn't been spelled out or alluded to by George Lucas can be there in the SW movies.
    Considering the reactions in this thread on the mere possibility, he would be mad to mention it explicitely.

Since I don't view homosexuality as a "pervesity" - after all, according to WHO 90 percent of all people are bisexual to a degree - the discomposure this idea is provoking here really surprises me. We had a similar discussion on a board in my country and interestingly no-one got upset about it or called it a far-fetched or ridiculous idea. If anything, some posters expressed amusement because the hints in the movie are done so blatantly.

lord_sidious_ likes this.
  22. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    so absolutely right.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm fine with letting people discuss the pros and cons of whether it's in the film or not. Whether it's inentional or not. How it affects the films. I'm against "dropping the soap" jokes. That to me is juvenile, because you're just making jokes for the sake of it and not because you want to discuss this in an adult manner. Humor has a time and place. This isn't the time or place to have them.

24. angelicusdiablos

Mar 10, 2005
    Oh please, stop playing the weaker minority and hiding behind claims of intolerance. NOBODIES ATTACKING YOU BECAUSE OF YOUR PRO-HOMOSEXUAL VIEWS! Your just getting a harsh response because your claims are just so lacking in the common sense department. Honestly, Im not trying to offend some of you but you really need to know why its bothering others.

[face_monkey] If this thread was titled WHAT IF PALPATINE WAS IN LOVE WITH ANAKIN then Id have no problem. In fact all of your arguements would be interesting if not valid. Id actually partake in discussing the possibilty.

BUT THATS NOT THE TITLE

Instead it asks WAS PALPATINE IN LOVE WITH ANAKIN. No he was not. Your trying to justify something that is just not true. Lucas did not depict this. This is why you guys are met with so much adversity. Its like saying Dooku is Anakins father. Sure its interesting but its just not true. The same applies for the title of this post: ITS INTERESTING BUT WE ALL KNOW IT HAS NO TRUTH! If you had asked what if youd recieve humble resonses and feedback. But you didnt, your implications were absolute. Nobodies worried really worried about these charachters sexualities; there just concerned when certain individuals go on and on about something so blatantly unfounded.

25. UPwind-ooooh

UPwind-ooooh Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2003
    I stand with all those who declare that Palpatine was NOT in love with Anakin. But I must temper my comment with consideration due to what love is exactly is to the Sith.

Someone mentioned 'lust' versus love -- that is IMO more accurate. The Sith 'lust' for power. Why not 'lust' for the one who would bring "unlimited power?"

But that 'lust' that Palpatine feels for Anakin need not necessarily be sexual in nature. Palaptine cares for Anakin, but from what we see on screen he seems to get his kicks on his own, if you get my drift! Only Palps is good enough for Palps.

What is love? Possible definitions:
    - sexual attraction
    - psychological attraction
    - emotional attraction (arguably the same as psychological attraction)
    - a term of endearment

I can buy 'psychological' and 'emotional' attachments between Palps and Ani with regards to Palaptine 'loving' Anakin. Definitely NOT sexual in nature!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.