main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, the numbers were fine til I put all the mods up... :p

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    We definitely need to write a custom style for the mod list or something. It's not supposed to bunch up and screw with the page layout, obviously.

3. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Ah! thanks.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So, when is the amount of moderators in community going to be lessened to a more sane number? :p

I mean, even with traffic increasing, Community certainly doesn't need eleven mods.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There are so many mods because Senate, Amph, Census & Games, and Arena are now part of Community. So those mods are in the mod list as well as the YJCC mods..

6. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeah, even though there are so many, the mods tend to stick to their own areas. I'm not stepping foot in a Senate thread. :p

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yes, I am aware. I'm wondering if community is seriously always going to have eleven mods, because it seems a bit excessive.

Looking at community right now, there is one senate thread on the first page. At the most, I've seen three senate threads on the front page at once. Do we really need two senate mods?

There is one poll... first poll I've seen in several weeks. Is a census and games mod necessary?

Do we need five jcc mods?

8. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Well, PK is no longer a community mod - I updated the Mod Status change thread to reflect that. We don't plan on replacing her at this point so we're down to four there.

Two Senate mods is fine, really. You should have a back-up for the other and flying solo is a bit tough - especially with Senate threads.

Really, you've got mods who are focused and can put effort into that area. Maybe there's something we can do with the header to help identify which mods are assigned to which area.

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've updated the Community Mod List to remove her - it's straightened the numbers out a bit at the bottom.

10. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Is it possible to limit the size of text people are using in signatures? Some of them are way too big.

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Limit the size of signatures further? They are already far smaller than they were on the temp forums, to the point I had to combine lines just to get it to work.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No, no, not the length, the available text sizes. I believe there actually are options to limit the styles in sigs, and it might be worth our while to do so, but don't quote me on that.

13. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Ramza is correct I mean the size of the font not the character limit. A few guys in the Episode 7 forum have signatures with really big letters. It's very distracting.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    So we have this function to search for posts "Newer Than" a specified date. Is it possible to have one for "Older Than"? :p

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    If the feature is not currently in the advance search options, it does not exist. ;)

Limiting the text styles is not possible currently unless we turn off all signature text styling altogether. There may be a fancy workaround though...

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    There is a pretty easy fix for that... go to your user drop down menu and select 'preferences.'

[​IMG]

Then when you're at the browser preferences page, uncheck the "show people's signatures with their messages" option, and then click save.

[​IMG]

No more distracting signatures.

17. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Thanks harpuah that will work.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I remember hearing we now have unlimited time to edit our thread titles. How do you do that?

19. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    (For others, see the FAQs in Resource) Summer Dreamer

1. Click edit
    2. THEN click more options and wait for the title bar to come up

You must do both steps on an existing post within the story.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Thanks but I'm trying to do it my Senate thread on the Supreme Court (to get rid of the years)... and unless I'm missing it, there's no "edit" option (and "more options" just leads to "throw a dice/start a countdown/choose from a list").

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That's because editing in Community is set to "Inherit" which caps you at something like 30 minutes.

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Summer Dreamer: Only Fanfic has unlimited editing (cuz fanfic needs it)

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I thought someone said we had unlimited time to edit thread titles in Community now? Heard that a few months ago. Guess that was wrong, nevermind then.

24. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I don't know if anyone else has brought this up here yet or not, but what about the issue of lag issues when typing up long posts in the boards provided box? Once a post reaches a certain length issues and lags begin cropping up, and if you try to edit window script errrors start to pop up regularly. This has led some of us to try typing up posts on our computers more regularly but then there is the compatibility error unless we know how to type all the new boards bbc codes, some of which have altered for colors or other minor things that are different. Is there a way to fix this issue, a list of new board BBC codes, or a specific program that can be down loaded where the encoding for bold text, spacing, etc. are compatible with the boards with a copy paste?

Valairy Scot likes this.
  25. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I've been wondering the same thing. You notice when you go to view all conversations it takes forever?