main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala What are these boots made of? (Mustafar Padme Outfit)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Zeph, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeph

Zeph Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2011
    I've begun work on my Mustafar Padme outfit, and I've reached a stumbling point... I can't figure out what her boots are made of. :/ At first I thought they were suede, but a close-up shot taken at an exhibition reveals a a woven fabric of some kind (you can see what I mean in the close-up photo of the boots seen here: http://www.padawansguide.com/sleeveless_exhibit.shtml )...

I've honestly never seen boots made of a material like this. Any idea of what they are or where to look for a similar pair? ^^;; Thanks. :)

2. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    It is probably a faux suede, thus the fabric texture.

3. Zeph

Zeph Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2011
    I had wondered about that... But I haven't seen enough faux suede in my life to really know much about it. XD I'm thinking maybe it's a moleskin or more "felty" textured faux suede? Thanks for the opinion, I'll try finding something like that, now that I know what to look for... I've never had so much trouble finding shoes for a costume in my life (and I'm a perfectionist). T_T

4. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    It's really hard to say. None of the photos really show the texture very well at all. But they are not the same as the tunic and mitts which are a stretch faux suede.

Faux suede can be made on a knit or woven ground. I have samples of both but none show that same texture of a regular weave in the boots. In fact there are a few edges that look positively polished with wear so I think a moleskin or other brushed surface might well be more on the money.

Unfortunately the word moleskin seems to be used for stretch faux suede now so it's a bit hard to look for online as an option for footwear.

5. Zeph

Zeph Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2011
    The unfortunate thing is that it's hard to find an accurately shaped pair, even if you're just looking at faux suede. :(

I do think they look like a moleskin, simply because I've worked with moleskin before, and the "pile" (if you can even call it that) has the same fuzzy texture, and the weave is sometimes visible. But yes, ever since it became a synonym for faux suede, it's been made very difficult to locate moleskin clothes/accessories. =/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.