main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you think of TPM as the months (and years) go by? - Official thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Learner, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    My story:-

I was about twelve when TPM came out. I remember it was the middle of the summer holidays, and me, my brothers and a bunch of people who my mum knew had gone to the park, and it was sunny and there were kids messing about in the swimming pool and on the climbing frames, and we got ice-cream and crisps...and inside the crisps were those weird Episode I things. :D I wish I'd kept mine now, but I didn't. :(

And that wasn't it...when I got to see it I distinctly remember that near the end I wanted to go to the toilet, but since it was at the part where Obi-Wan was holding onto the edge of the pit, I couldn't could I? :)

That was years ago, but these days I still love it. I can appreciate all the nifty little details and the way it ties into the OT. It was only after AOTC, though, that I wandered onto this website, and was as disappointed that everyone seemed to hate TPM as those who now hate TPM were disappointed when they first saw TPM. (How's that for a sentence, hmmm?) And of course TPM could be better...every movie could. But it reminds me of summer and swimming pools as well as being a good story, and I couldn't hate it if I tried. And I'm not going to try.

:)

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    You know, Alomanuma, it is possible and acceptable for someone to have a different opinion to yours. Hanging around this thread to deride those different opinions is just wasting your own time.

I don't find the fart jokes funny either, but at least I can ignore them and not get obsessive about it.

3. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    "You know, Alomanuma, it is possible and acceptable for someone to have a different opinion to yours."

When did I say otherwise? You think TPM is a well crafted work of art (like ANH and TESB)? Great, I wish I could live in your reality where the sw universe still has dignity.

"I don't find the fart jokes funny either, but at least I can ignore them and not get obsessive about it."

The crappiness of TPM goes way beyond Jar jar and fart jokes. But the mere idea of GL actually thinking a fart joke is funny speaks volumes on just how far over the hill the guy is.

Anyone still think GL is a genius, I gots two works for ya: fart joke.

4. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    female_obi_wan, what you should always remember is that while these forums may seem filled with bashers, there aren't really that many of them.
    A lot of real fans are turned off by their stupidity, so they don't post here as much as they should.

An example - there is a thread on the Anakin and Padme romance here - but it can only be found in the Commuinity forum, not the Episode II forum, because a handful of idiots seem to enjoy spending their time attacking every aspect of the film, especailly the love story.

But things will get better for the real fans - just compare the Episode I forum now to how it was just after the fim was released. It used to be filled with rabid bashers, but now they've almost completely melted away, apart from a few diehards, and there's room for intelligent, thoughtful discussion.

Love really is stronger than hate, and in time, TFN will be visited only be true fans of the saga.

5. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "These scenes deal with Anakin's training as a Jedi Knight...and I must say, it's a pretty integral part of the story."

So sending a young child to Naboo where his life would be in danger is acceptable for you? There was very little information given about Anakin's training as a Jedi Knight.

I accepted the truth PloKloon1138 weeks ago. :)

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Where else was Qui-Gon going to send Anakin?

He was for all intents and purposes Anakin's guardian. It wasn't like the Jedi ran a day care for recently declined Jedi hopefuls.

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    The crappiness of TPM goes way beyond Jar jar and fart jokes. But the mere idea of GL actually thinking a fart joke is funny speaks volumes on just how far over the hill the guy is.

Anyone still think GL is a genius, I gots two works for ya: fart joke.

You shoulnd't let a five minute scene ruin a movie for you when its something that small and not important to the plot. I hated the fart...but really, I still like the rest of the movie. I'm not going to let that get in the way of my enjoyment.

8. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    The crappiness of TPM goes way beyond Jar jar and fart jokes. <----------------------

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    The NamelessOne
    female_obi_wan, what you should always remember is that while these forums may seem filled with bashers, there aren't really that many of them.
    A lot of real fans are turned off by their stupidity, so they don't post here as much as they should.

Could you clarify that? You seem to be saying that bashers are stupid, I hope you didn't intend such a sweeping generalisation.
    And what's a "real fan" ?

Love really is stronger than hate, and in time, TFN will be visited only be true fans of the saga.

And again - what's a "true fan" ?

GoMer
    Where else was Qui-Gon going to send Anakin?

So it's beyond QG's abilities to come up with any place other than a War Zone for Anakin to stay? QG would have to be a complete idiot if that were true.

g

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    The crappiness of TPM goes way beyond Jar jar and fart jokes. <----------------------

Not in my opinion.

People looking for things to hate will find them.

11. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "People looking for things to hate will find them."

People looking for things to like will also find them. :)

12. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    I would define stupid as anyone who dislikes a movie, yet continues to visit a forum devoted to that movie - more than 4 years after that movie was released.

For those of you who don't like Episode I and II, who feel "betrayed" because George Lucas' imagination runs a different path from yours, the answer is simple - go somewhere else.

There must be plenty of other sites on the net for people who don't like Star Wars as much as other movies - why not post there where you'll be more welcome?

TFN should be for fans of the story - the whole story - and all it's richness, emotion, detail, beauty and symbolism.

I've been coming here for some time now, and I've finally had enough of the negative attitude of one group who keep trying to convince the majority of posters here that Lucas is useless/ has failed/ never was any good etc.

Has anyone else noticed that the intelligent, thoughtful discussions happen away from the film forums? The Fan Force and Community forums are where the real fans seem to be driven by the vocal minority who have taken over the film forums.

What exactly do you bashers hope you're going to achieve by posting here?
    You have you opinions, and the fans have their opinions - you're not going to change, and neither are we - why not just go your own way and leave us in peace?

And back on topic: What do you think of TPM as the months (and years) go by?
    It simply gets better and better, and I'm very sorry for those of you who seem to find a sort of pleasure in constantly attacking something that other people are fully entitled to enjoy.

13. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Way to make friends and influence people. [face_plain]

14. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    Don't you think it's stupid to keep coming back time after time, year after year, to a forum devoted to a movie you hate?

15. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    <<Has anyone else noticed that the intelligent, thoughtful discussions happen away from the film forums? The Fan Force and Community forums are where the real fans seem to be driven by the vocal minority who have taken over the film forums. >>

Yeah...come to think of it, some of the most intelligent discussion I've seen on these boards has been in the fanfiction[/b] forums. :D People with completely different viewpoints on things not trying to kill each other...ah, twas a good sight to see...

16. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    No, I think it's stupid for people to get their dander up about it. I don't waste words or brain cells worrying that people like something I don't. And I think most people who call themselves bashers don't.

17. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    I don't care if people like Star Wars or not - what I do care about is that people who don't like Star Wars feel the need to come to fan sites to vent their hatred.
    Surely they must have better things to do than waste their time on something they don't even like?

Episode I was released almost 5 years ago - come May this year, bashers will have spent HALF A DECADE attacking it on this site - why?

If you don't like it you don't like it - no ones making you come here.
    I'm very sorry that George Lucas's story isn't the story you thought it was going to be, but nothing can really change that now.

18. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    what I do care about is that people who don't like Star Wars feel the need to come to fan sites to vent their hatred.

Why should you care? How does my need to vent overpower your need to shower TPM or anything else with praise?

19. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    But why do you need to do it on a fan site?

Why not find an anti-Star Wars site to express yourself on?

20. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    Bashing the PT is no fun w/o people to defend them. I'm just so baffled by those who think that the PT are actually great movies and I love to hear all the excuses for their obvious problem areas.

21. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    female_obi_wan, your post concerning the first time you saw THE PHANTOM MENACE is great. Thanks.

It sounds like when you first saw THE PHANTOM MENACE you were around the same age I was when I first saw STAR WARS in 1977. I went with a friend of mine, his Mom and his two sisters, a friend of his Mom and that friend's son. I'm pretty sure it was a cloudy day, possibly rainy to a point. The theatre may have even shown a cartoon before STAR WARS came on. It seems like they may have. I remember sitting down near the front and to the left side of the screen. It was a great experience. :)

22. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    But why do you need to do it on a fan site?

Why not find an anti-Star Wars site to express yourself on?

Because I'm here, and here has been my choice to post about SW for almost three years.

And drop the "fan" business. I'm a SW fan because I say I am.

23. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    And drop the "fan" business. I'm a SW fan because I say I am.

A TRUE fan would never say the PT was bad. They would see that was called 'star wars', hear the john williams music, and just KNOW that it's a great movie.

24. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    But come on, now - almost 5 years since it was released, and you're still bashing?

Some of you people are even worse than Anakin at letting go :p

25. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    I'm still asking: why do you care?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.