main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What if the PT was made first?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Drewdude91, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    How do you guys think this would have affected the films and the saga as a whole?

2. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    It would have been a different beast entirely, probably better than the PT we got, and would - of course - been called the OT.

The OT - really the ST - would be similar, with only the tables turned (it would have probably been worse than the OT we got).

3. YodaDooDahDay

YodaDooDahDay Jedi Padawan star 3

Jul 20, 2010
    I think there would be a whole subset of fans whining/insisting/bemoaning how Lucas "raped their childhoods" by making such a cheesy, juvenile and inferior sequel trilogy with bad acting, crappy FX and awful dialogue. They would ignore the good while cherry-picking the bad to support their views. And they would place the "originals" on such a high pedestal and guard them with such ferocity that even the guy who made them shouldn't be allowed near them.

In other words, nothing would be different.

4. Drewdude91

May 21, 2011
    I completely agree than ANH, ESB, and ROTJ would be recieved similarly to how the PT movies were recieved, with much more negativity. However, I think the saga's story would be more consistent. The PT would stay as is and the OT would be a little different that is is now. Mostly minor script changes. For example, in ROTJ, instead of having Vader tell Luke "Obi-Wan once thought as you do, you don't know the power of the dark side!", it would be "your mother once thought as you do", and Leia would not remember her mother.

5. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    It would have been called the OT

6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    It would have been a different beast entirely, probably better than the PT we got, and would - of course - been called the OT.

How do you know the PT would have been "better" if it had been made first? Are you a psychic?

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    This. There is nothing more to say.

8. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    THX 1138 is the closest thing to a pre-1977 prequel.

9. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I feel like if the PT were made first, the OT would have gotten the same reaction the PT gets now. Not because they are inferior movies, but because both trilogies are so drastically different in style.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This. And the OT would have been a victim of Internet-age scrutiny. And I use the term "scrutiny" nicely.

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    We would have seen Anakin's tale in chronological order, which in my opinion would have made better storytelling.

12. Drewdude91

May 21, 2011
    Haha, this topic has begun to confuse me. By OT, do you mean PT or the real OT?

13. MiricaEclipse

MiricaEclipse Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2011
    It would be completely different!:eek: Think about the technology that helped create the Origunal Trilogy, and what we didn't have for the prequels... They cirtanly didn't have computers back then, they were a very new idea!:_| The Technology would have made the PT very dumbed down (No sweeping shots of Naboo... No Mustafar battle...), considering how much Mr. Lucus expanded the universe in PT... But then of course, would Hayden Christen have played Luke Skywalker??? [face_thinking] Hmmm... Would Mark Hammil have been Anakin? Carie Fisher, Padme Amidala? [face_thinking] This is a very interesting thought process... Also, due to cultural intrests then and now, it probably would never have made it to theatres... no offence to those who love the current PT, but they are rather dark compared to the OT, and would have easily been classified an Adult trilogy, where as now kids are more used to some of the scarier creatures and graphics!

Bottom Line: Completely different... But i do sometimes wonder what it would have been like!

Mirica

14. AricaBolts

AricaBolts Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2011
    Hayden Christian as LUKE SKYWALKER????[face_hypnotized] Mark Hamil as Anakin! Scary stuff man! Scary Stuff!

15. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    So you really think George Lucas would make the sequels (our OT) to look like the ones from 1977? The OT as we know it would never have existed. That's the idea behind the thread. We're not talking remakes.

Um, I think the sequels would be CGI-laden, poorly acted and directed dreck. In other words, nothing would be different than the PT. Harsh, I know.

16. Drewdude91

May 21, 2011
    I don't think the PT's matter is particularly dark, I actually think the OT is darker because there is little hope for the future and people are fighting an evil Nazi-like regime. The PT just seems darker because you know what is going to come. Of course, ROTS is the darkest film of the saga, but I think as a whole the OT is darker.

Here's a thought: If the PT was made first, maybe Anakin wouldn't have turned to the Dark Side. After all, when ANH was made, Vader was simply a Jedi gone bad. Vader was NOT intended to be Luke's father when the movie was released. While making ESB, Lucas came up with the idea that Vader is Luke's father and in ROTJ he would be redeemed. Therefore, the PT was made to show his fall to the dark side. Theoretically, if the PT was made first, then Lucas may have never had Anakin turn since he wasn't "going back to the beginning" to show his fall to the dark side.

17. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    The prequels as we know them are the results of years of evolution after the production of the OT. If they were produced first there would be no Boba Fett in Episode II, for example, because his character was only invented for ESB. No ESB, no Fett, etc. Some of the concepts would be the same, because the interests of the creator(s) would be similar. So maybe there would be a super trooper concept, but the details would differ. Chaos - extreme sensitivity to initial conditions. If we're going to speculate, I suggest checking out the very first versions of what became ANH:

1973 Story Synopsis

1974 Rough Draft

Notice the fleeing princess/royalty protected by a Jedi general (Qui-Gon), the talk of treaties and commerce, etc. There are a lot of TPM-isms in here. The story is somewhat close to the frequently-name-dropped Hidden Fortress, as well. Now imagine these scripts filmed with SW-level and -style visuals. Practical effects, documentary-style cinematography, gauzy lenses...

18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    But I was going to Tosche Station to torture some Tusken Raiders!

19. gobalicious

gobalicious Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2010
    This question really doesn't have an answer since the existence of the PT as we know it derives from the OT.

I think it is highly unlikely that the Saga could have been conceived as we know it in its entirety in 1977. Its story evolved greatly as the OT films were made. With the PT films, their story was tightly constrained by the events of the OT. So in a sense, the PT as we know it could not exist with the OT to influence the story.

If George had ventured in 1977 to create a chronological space saga of a tragic hero, the result would have been far removed from what we actually got. Just look at the crazy ideas George was throwing around for the original Star Wars.

20. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    [face_laugh][face_shame_on_you]

21. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    I don't know, thus the "probably" instead of "certainly".

22. HylianBowcaster

HylianBowcaster Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2011
    The movies would be drastically different just because of the inability to do many of the special effects of the PT. Imagine seeing Order 66 with ANH style stormtroopers, wouldn't really be too epic, considering their helmets are bouncing around their heads in the OT.

23. Drewdude91

May 21, 2011
    Yes but on the other hand you'd have more lethal troopers fighting the Rebels in the OT. Also, Vader's lightsaber skills would be more like that of a Sith who was able to take down nearly every Jedi survivor. Clone War battles may seem less epic, but on the other hand the Galactic Civil War battles would have the advantages of modern special effects. This would get rid of another major scrutiny with the prequels: that it looks more futuristic than the ones that take place over 20 years later.

24. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    If it was an exact parallel with Anakin, Luke would be leaving the farm to rescue a loved one, not torture anyone. He would subsequently find himself killing -- not torturing -- others; and he would deeply regret it afterward (unlike, say, the Luke we actually see, who blows up a ton of people with no remorse).

25. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Yeah, that Luke was SUCH a bastard...[face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.