main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the overall opinion of Darth Sidious now after watching ROTS?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by r8hitman, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    Well, leading up to ROTS Darth Sidious has been called a lot of things on these boards. (master manipulator, invincible, greatest force user...etc.) Now after watching the movie and seeing how Mace disarms him and Yoda basically wasnt "owned" by Sidious like everyone kept saying he would be....what do you think of Darth Sidious now...are you disappointed in how he was portrayed?, did you expect him to show more darkside power?, was he everything you knew he would be or what?

What's your opinion of Darth Sidious now?

2. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    Who says that Mace beat him?, hmm. anyway i think Sideous/Palpatine, is one of the greatest Villians ever to grace the screen. he is the Ultimate puppetmaster , and he has all his bases covered, staging all the events of the PT. he is DIABOLIC and then some. too bad he is a bit too overconfident, that will ultimately be his undoing.

3. SupremeChancellor

SupremeChancellor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    "Mace defeats him"
    What film were you watching? He faked it...

"Yoda basically wasnt "owned" by Sidious like everyone kept saying he would be...."

Yoda ran his little green ass off trying to dodge Senate pods... yeah he failed... Palpatine didnt OWN him but he sure as hell defeated him fair and square.

"what do you think of Darth Sidious now...are you disappointed in how he was portrayed?, did you expect him to show more darkside power?, was he everything you knew he would be or what?"
    Hmmm... yes and no. I would have liked Lucas to 100% prove to the audience that he was faking his loss, cos now all we will get is people saying that Mace won when its pretty obvious he didnt.

4. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Who says that Mace beat him?,

:rolleyes:
    that's why I changed it to "disarms" instead of defeat.

I want this to be a discussion about opinions about Darth Sidious and how ROTS might have changed them.....NOT whether or not Mace legitamately defeats him.

EDIT: And for the record I'm part of the group that says Mace won his duel and Sidious "exaggerated" his defeat.

But that's for another thread;)

5. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    He certainly isn't as powerful as I expected him to be, but I'm far from disappointed by this. If anything, I think it makes his character even more awesome. It makes his accomplishment much more spectacular, since the Jedi pose a very real threat to him but he DARES to take them all on (I'm talking about the overall 'take over the galaxy' plot, not specific fights).

He's far from a wimp, but I like that Mace and Yoda can rival him. What's more, I like the fact that he's accutely aware of the fact that they can rival him, but he engineers situations so that he can't lose. When he's fighting Mace, he knows Anakin will save him even if Mace gets the upper hand. He was reluctant to fight Yoda since he was caught by surprise & didn't have a plan B should he find he's no match for him. But then he realises he won't lose. He has forseen it.

Basically, what I like is that he's very powerful, but not ALL powerful. It makes Anakin's turn much more compelling since Sidious couldn't have done it without him. Anakin wasn't just a token apprentice like Maul & Dooku he was the KEY. Sidious knew this and made sure to get him onside.

You have to admire his sheer determination and ingenious plan and the fact that he's willing to risk all.

6. Tachikoma-Kun

Tachikoma-Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2005
    I used to think of him as being all powerfull figure but after ROTS all that changed.
    Now I think of him as a man who is extremely clever and allways lands on his feet. But perhaps not as powerfull as I thought. In a way that makes him even more intresting. he is "just" a clever individual who prays on other peoples weaknesess. He can turn a bad situation into his advantage (Mace duel) and really think on his feet, so to speak. I really doubt everything happened according to his plans but he was allways able to make best use of what ever was available for him. He put so many things in motion that the Jedi couldn't predict the future any longer, thus "the darkside clouded everything". He was a very clever man and powerhungry. In the end the darkside clouded him as well (being blind to what Luke was all about).

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    My favourite character of the entire saga.

He's awesome.

8. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    too bad he is a bit too overconfident, that will ultimately be his undoing.

I don't think he's overconfident in this film. It's the Jedi that are overconfident if anything; Mace & his gang assume they'll be able to handle Sidious & Yoda seems to think he'll be able to handle him too.

Sidious, on the other hand is realistic about his chances, as demonstrated by having Anakin around to help him with Mace & trying to run from Yoda. He's no fool. He certainly has a lot of bravado & probably won't admit to the Jedi that they pose a threat to him, but he's weary. He knows he can't take them all out by himself.

By ROTJ, however, he has definitely become overconfident. I guess years of being Emperor with no one powerful enough to challenge him make him complacent and arrogant.

9. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Exactly, Takichoma-Kun.

His mental abilities proved to be far superior to his dueling/physical abilities.

10. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Sidious has relied on his brain more than his brawn. The end results speak for themselves.

11. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    I love him even more than I did before. And yes, he put on the most impressive display of force-usage of any character in the saga.

Did you not see him throwing Senate Pods like frisbees? How 'bout killing three Jedi Master in three seconds?

And, where it really counts, manipulation, this is the movie where all of his moves come into place, and everything goes according to plan...except maybe that business with Kenobi hacking Anakin up...:)

12. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Well I thought Sidious was going to do something that was going to "blow us away" (as far as force powers go) he never did do that...he didnt overpower anyone and all his fights did IMO was show where his real strength is.

manipulation.

In the beginning people used to say that we dont need to see Sidious fight...well after what happened in both of his fights, I see what they meant...I can now say that he really didnt need to.

The Yoda fight was more for the character of Yoda than it was for Sidious' character. (as far as the story goes)

Because it really would have looked bad for Yoda to not even TRY to fight Sidious
    (ala Mike Tyson :p)

But as far as Sidious goes, he really didnt need to fight.

13. MrC123

MrC123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    Seeing him smiling in the shadows after telling Vader he killed Padme made me feel one thing: he's one evil MF but the perfect Sith Lord.

14. Dagobah_Dweller

Dagobah_Dweller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    One mean S.O.B. :p

15. Darth-Naga-Shadow

Darth-Naga-Shadow Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    hey man please tell me how palp was faking it please.not saying your wrong but mace did almost kill him

....well i guess he wanted anakin to see mace try and kill him and get him to kill or help kill mace so ok sure palp MAYBE faked it
    maybe not
    well i read the book mace or palp didnt fake at all!!!!

16. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    The Emperor from ROTJ has always been my favorite movie character of all time. ROTS most definitely changed my perspective on him. At first I didn't like that fact, but now I do. In ROTJ he seemed all-powerful, aloof, and almost regal - in an evil kind of way.

In ROTS he got his hands dirty, acted like a raving lunatic, and was most definitely not 'aloof.' But I think when all is said and done he is now a deeper and more interesting character. Now you can see that he is human.

17. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    Ya'll have posted some great thoughts so far. I tend to lean more along the way of barnthefatjedi's post. But I have to admit, evertime I see ROTS I cant help but laugh at Sidious when he starts cackling at Yoda. Ian did a BRILLIANT job seperating the "two" characters of Sidious and Palpatine. Palpatine the quit, well-spoken manipulator and Sidious the powerful, pure evil Sith lord.

18. Darth-Naga-Shadow

Jun 12, 2005
    yeh sidius is cool some times

19. Darth-Naga-Shadow

Jun 12, 2005
    hey every one please read this!!!!!!

WHO WOULD WIN IF ANAKIN DIDNT TURN AND TELL MACE ABOUT SIDOUS AND WENT ON THE ATTACK WHAT WOULD OF HAPPEND PALP GET HIS HEAD CUT OFF OR ANAKIN WALK WITH HIS BODY TO MACE WHAT WOULD OF HAPPEND I NEED INFO!!!!!!

20. cypher9000

cypher9000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 8, 2004
    I was surprised after everyone saying that "oh, GL said that Palps was dissappointed in anakin being hacked up" this and that, that he smiled when he told Vader that Padme was dead and that Vader killed her. He was proud of his creation. He was proud that he had destroyed the person Anakin Skywalker, and that he had destroyed the Chosen One.

I thought that was pretty powerful, and much better than what the people on these boards hinted at and still say.

21. Darth-Naga-Shadow

Jun 12, 2005
    cypher O YEAH THAT was very powerful at the endof rots

22. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    I don't think he was proud that he destroyed him, I think he was pleased because at that moment he knew that Vader belonged to him.

23. yaddidameen

yaddidameen Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    brains over brawn. sidious wasn't some all powerful force user like everyone expected him to be, but that is what makes him great. sidious is the greatest villian to ever grace the screen, he was a master manipulator.

sidious and yoda was a draw, to argue otherwise is fanboyism. yoda failed to kill sidious yes he failed, that is why he lost.

they fell at the end of the duel, how is this winning fair and square? it was a draw, there is no aruing this. i believe sidious to be the strongest force user, but he was not the best combatant, i bleieve that honor goes to yoda.

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    One evil son of a *****.

25. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    The Emperor from ROTJ has always been my favorite movie character of all time. ROTS most definitely changed my perspective on him. At first I didn't like that fact, but now I do. In ROTJ he seemed all-powerful, aloof, and almost regal - in an evil kind of way.

Yeah he does seem like a much different character than the ROTJ emperor that we saw back in '83.

In 83 he always seemed more like a "Dracula" type of character...now he's more of a "Freddy Krueger" type of villain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.