main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

what is the worst eu novel ever written?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dark_jedi, Oct 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The Crystal Star.

2. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I actually enjoyed PoT,TaB,BFC and The New Rebellion.TNR is one of my all time faves.

The worst EU books have to be CotJ and the Crystal Star.*Yaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwn*

Luke's character was totally messed up in CotJ.

3. thegreatyoda

thegreatyoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    I actually liked crystal star. The twins were written wonderfully and it was great to see them start to discover their powers. Waru was a bit much though.
    NJO on the other hand is the worst thing ever to happen to Star Wars. Every time I see an NJO book at the book store I feel like I'm watching a close friend die a slow and painful death.

4. Kar_Doniash

Kar_Doniash Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 21, 2000
    Crystal Star & Planet of Twilight. Yuck. :(

5. Savle_Sostas

Savle_Sostas Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2001
    I haven't read all the EU books yet but the worst I've read so far are Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight, neither of which seemed to be written with any respect to plot and charcter development.

6. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    I've actually enjoyed almost all of the EU novels. The only ones I couldn't read were the Bounty Hunter Wars books. I tried to read the first one a couple of times before giving up.

7. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I started reading Crystal Star in a book store, and after 3 pages I closed it to look at the cover to see if was a Trek novel then put it back on the shelf. I also tried 3 times to start the Jedi Search trilogy and twice to read Truce at Bakura and couldn't do it. I would like to read the Thrawn books again to see if I still don't think they're all that great.

8. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Well, i don´t know which is the worst eu novel ever written, but i know those i think to be the worst:

Planet of Twilight
    Children of the Jedi
    Crystal Star
    Rogue Planet, quite dissapointing, i read other novels from Greg Bear and found them really good.
    Isards Revange

Don´t get me wrong, the YJK-novels i don´t even count.

9. winterseh

winterseh Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2001
    The Crystal Star!!!!!!!!!

Gosh, that was like the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. Who exactly was she basing her Princess Leia and Han and etc on.

YIKES

10. dark_jedi

dark_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2001
    the lando trilogy is also horrible.

11. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    First of all, I haven't read everything that's out there yet. Second, "worst" for me dosen't necessarily mean bad .

Anyway, Rouge Planet was so boring that it took ALL SUMMER to read. there was hardly any action, and it had a weird ending.

If this wasn't limited to novels, the GoDV series is definately the worst.

12. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I noticed a lot of people said that Crystal Star was the worst, but I didn't think it was that bad. Sure, Luke looked like an idiot, and was totally out of character, but I though the Han Xaverri interaction was great. And the Solo kids predicament was well handled. The worst EU book would have to be Visions of the Future, or Jedi Search.

13. Bror Jace

Bror Jace Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 1999
    Bantam EU: Crystal Star ... with New Rebellion and Planet of Twighlight close behind.

NJO: Jedi Eclipse

14. ComicDude

ComicDude Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2001
    Zorba the Hutts Revenge... :p

15. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    PLANET OF TWILIGHT IS EVIL! SO MORALLY WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. majin_vegeta

majin_vegeta Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2000
    What is wrong with you people? Vison of the Future is outsanding - its a very good book and Planet of twilight isn't THAT bad. Anyway, the worst EU novel to me (from the ones that I have read) would have to be:

Children of the Jedi
    The entire New Jedi Order Series
    The Crystal Star
    The Black Fleet Crisis
    Darksaber
    Truce At Bakura and
    I, Jedi

Now that I think about it, the VAST majority of the EU sucks (with a couple of exceptions). Back when Bantam had 'em, non of the authors could agree on which way a character was to go as they were constantly being pulled from one direction to the next and then back again. Almost none of the stories seem to build upon the last and some of the plots are just plain ridiculous and boring and most don't seem to "fit" in the Star Wars universe. Oh, then Del Ray takes over the really sends the Universe straight to hell. It would be easier to ask what are the BEST EU novels then the rest we can assume are all garbage.

17. LordCroesus

LordCroesus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2001
    NJO don't factor into this, because I hate all of them from the death of Chewie onwards.

The most dissapointing of the Bantam EU for me was Vision of the Future, but that doesn't mean I thought it was the worst in the series. I actually really liked it, but it was a definite letdown considering the kind of outstanding buildup it had in Spectre of the Past.

The worst one... Tough choice, I've actually enjoyed -most- of what I've read. Truce at Bakura wasn't a bad concept, but the execution of the Ssi-ruuk could've been better. Other than the inclusion of Brakiss, I considered the New Rebellion to be a fairly good book...

My two favorites are shadows of the empire and Courtship of Princess Leia... I thuoght the author of courtship did an excellent job bringing out the "old" Han Solo, the one who smuggled spice and outran/maneuvered ISD's. All things considered, the "insane" him is the likable one.

I dunno which I disliked the most though, hrm.

18. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    If we all think the EU sucks, then why don't we make a board where we write stuff about the eu that doesn't suck and then post it and see what other people think? A ha. Exactly. There is no way that anybody could write something that another person wouldn't deem as "sucky". As a long-time writer I know this to be true. So, if you hate the entire EU then you better get used to reading sucky books, or else you should stop reading. Or lighten up ;)

Jae Angel

19. majin_vegeta

majin_vegeta Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2000
    Books that suck does not equal books that are not enjoyable. I enjoy them all (except for Children of the Jedi and Darksaber) that is why a read them as I to am a writter.

20. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    I don't like any EU I've read, but "The Glove of Darth Vader" is crappier than crap.

21. Dewlanna Solo

Dewlanna Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 1999
    There are a number of EU books that I didn't think were up to the standards of Zahn, Tyers, Stackpole and Crispin, but with one exception, even the ones I really, really don't like I can find something in them that I do like
    In Crystal Star I liked Leia
    In The New Rebellion I liked the Droids and what's his name Darklighter and I like the idea of Droid Rights being explored.
    PoT Again I liked Leia,
    CotJ I thought the way different species reacted to the stromtrooper indoctrination was amusing and I found the indoctrination itself enlightening.
    DarkSaber I like d the view we had of Dorsk's world, and I liked Crix Madine.
    Black Fleet Crisis I liked the scenes of Chewie's family and I liked the Lando storyline,
    Even The Bounty Hunter Wars, Rogue Planet and DarthMaul: Shadow Hunter had interesting new characters in them (I really liked the spider thingy in BHW)
    Over 1/2 the NJO is on my "don't like" list,
    Ruin turned my stomach,
    Conquest and Rebirth bored me
    Vector Prime was a major disappointment and started the whole NJO.
    But even those had parts I liked.
    The only SW book that I've read (and I've read all the novels except the last BHW and some of the GoDV) that had NOTHING in it that I liked was Jedi Eclipse.

So my vote for worst EU book is Jedi Eclipse.

22. SexyElf

SexyElf Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2001
    Planet of Twilight (who are all of these people?!), Crystal Star (who are all of these people?!), and a little bit of the Truce at Bakura (who are all of these people?!) :-D

In fact, I have enjoyed the majority of the EU. Most of the books with Callista are boring to me though, and Luke's story in The Dark Fleet trilogy really detracted from the story, in my opinion.

23. Corran_Katarn

Corran_Katarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2001
    I hated the Planet of Twilight. It was the first and only book I didn't finish. I just couldn't take it anymore. It was horrible!

I also hated the entire Black Flight Crises. It was pretty dumb.

24. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    The Crystal Star. I read it, and LAUGHED! It was the most hysterical book that i have ever read...it was just so BAD. Then comes the JJK and YJK, then planet of twilight. It was pretty bad too...i dont really like barbara hambly at ALL. Although it is true, there have been one or two elements in every EU book that i have liked...except for crystal star.

25. ImperialGirl

ImperialGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    The Crystal Star, Planet of Twilight, both Agents of Chaos (Luceno's style bores me, and he has a bad habit of introducing characters as if they'll be relevant and then they vanish.) I could consider BHW, but I never finished them. Black Fleet Crisis was pretty bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.