main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Nordic people think about each other?

Discussion in 'Nordic Countries Discussion' started by Tod, Feb 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    I know that most Finns always make fun of Swedes, so I wanted to know what Swedes think about Finns. And do Norwegians like Icelanders, and do Danes even consider themselves being Nordic people, and so on? Let's get to know each other for better understanding.

Post your comments! If there's one thing you don't like in your neighbours now it's time to say it.

2. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    Jeg vil skriv hva jeg kan i Norsk men klest vil være i Engelsk.

Min far var i Sverige mye år siden, og en far og sønn var reise stockholm. I løpet av besøk, min far si sporsmål: "Do hear a difference in the way you speak, and the way Norwegians speak" Han, si "Yes, of course we do, the Norwegians sound like this...[made imitating noises]".

Apparently the son thought it was hilarious.

My father said, overall he got the impression that most swedes thought Norwegians were somewhat backwards.

Somewhat like the residents in the Southern part of the USA.

Personally Swedish sounds so similar to Norwegian that two swedish girls were speaking to each other at my University and I asked them if they spoke Norwegian.

++Joey

3. Wolverine

Wolverine Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 1999
    The languages are close enough so that we can understand eachother....most of the time. ;)

we hav a long tradition in Sweden of making jokes about ow stupid people in Norway are.
    In return they tell the same stories about us :p
    But I don't think there is any real odd thoughts about Norway in Sweden.
    I have people from all nordic countries, except Iceland, in my school. After what I hear from a guy in my class the people of Norway usually takes great pride in beating Sweden in sports. We had a long discusion about it, but it just seemed to be tradition.

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    In Sweden you have a lot of jokes about Norwegians, and the Norwegians have exactly the same jokes about Swedes.

In sport most Swedes dislike when Norway wins, Finland is the big contender in ice hockey and we love the Danish football team.

I like Norwegian people though I don't exactly like the fact that they have more medals in the olympics right now.

5. TK-1

TK-1 Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2001
    We are all the same, remember that! I have many friends from all over the world, so I think nordic people is just one part of the world. It is normal that we joke about our neighbours, that's normal anywhere in the world! I have always said: "Star Wars connects people better than Nokia!" And that's true.

I think the Nordic Garrison is one example of the Nordic co-operations and this forum!

I like our neighbours...

TK-1, Finland

6. JediLynx

JediLynx Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 2, 2000
    You know what they say about love and hate... It's the same really. :)

7. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    most finish people don't think swedes can handle the sauna as good as they can :)

8. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Well, that's true. Swedes cannot handle sauna as well as we Finns. Afterall sauna is a finnish invention.

9. JediLynx

Sep 2, 2000
    Well, I may not be able to handle it as well as a Finn, but I still love the sauna. Thank you so much for inventing it! :)

10. Karoline

Karoline Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 2001
    As long as we beat the Swedes, some norwegians don't care if Norway wins the Olympics or not.

That's pretty stupid.

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I've heard that some Finns are the same, the most important thing is to beat Sweden everything else comes second.

12. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Oh yeah! Beating Sweden is always fun. And we're doing it again. After 21 events out of 78 Finland has 2 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze. Sweden only has 1 bronze. Of course Norway has 4 golds and 3 silvers but they don't count.

And yes, Finland is going to beat Sweden in icehockey (again).

But still it's only sport and nothing to be taken too seriously. Even if we're better.

13. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    why do you all want to beat sweden? are we that good? ;)

14. JediLynx

Sep 2, 2000
    Ha! Make that two bronze medals, Tod! :)

15. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    We like norway as the brother nation it is, and look upon finland only as a former part of sweden.
    Denmark though, we can't stand cause we will neva forget what happened in stockholm at the end of the 15th century. : )

16. Bubba Fet

Bubba Fet Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2000
    I think we should invade Norway...

17. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    Bubba: Invade? Give me a break, during WWII you let Germany walk all over you. The Norwegians stood up to them. Woohoo go Norway!

;-)

--Joey

18. SamiS

SamiS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2001
    Riiiiight...

19. JediLynx

Sep 2, 2000
    During WW2 Denmark was occupied by Germany in a week, Norway in a month and Sweden over a phonecall.
    Not one of our brighter moments. No wonder they don't like us. :(

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Erk if you are talking about the blodbath of Stockholm it was in 1520, 8th of November to be exact. And don't forget that it was the Swedish archbishop who started it all. But you are right we can't stand Denmark, since we were in practice at war with each other all time until 1814.

21. Lilu

Lilu Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    Gee thanks.

Denmark and Sweden do have the world rekord as the two nations who have been at war for most years. 136 years all in all.

Besides it's hard to know what to think about Sweeds in general since they always claim to be so sensible people, but every time we see one, he's dead drunk and pruking his guts out in a phonebox. ;)

22. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    I would like to thank all those nordic volunteers who helped Finland to protect our independence in WW2.

23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    And that was at least some Swedes involved in that!

24. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    Erk if you are talking about the blodbath of Stockholm it was in 1520, 8th of November to be exact.

Blast. Embarrasing.

And don't forget that it was the Swedish archbishop who started it all.

Yeah, sure. Bloody danish propaganda.

We shouldn't invade Norway, we should force them in to another svensk-norsk union.... För brödraskapens väl.

25. Bubba Fet

Bubba Fet Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2000
    Tod, My grandpa was one of them :)

He ran away from home when he was 19 years old to help finland...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.