main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What plotline, character or scene in the entire Saga irritates you the most?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Hudnall, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    Curious as to peoples thoughts: What one thing drives you mad? What makes you look at the screen and yell "Lucas, what are YOU thinking?!"

For me, midichlorians, hands down - no contest.

2. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Why exactly does the midichlorine scene irritate you?

-Aunecah

3. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    In the PT, Yoda's fight. I watch AOTC regularly, but still haven't made my peace with it. In the OT, the lightsaber duels (except the last 10 seconds of ESB). I wish Yoshio Sugino would have choreographed them, I believe he did some of The Seven Samurai back in the old days.

4. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    Many many reasons.
    1) It takes the divinity out of the Force to a degree, and thereby weakens what is the primary driver of the myth: good vs evil. But that is another debate.

2) Primarily, it is unnecessary. It is a writer's shortcut. He wanted a way to measure Anakin's power, so he invented midichlorians and thought he was clever by adding a nice analogy to the Gungan/Naboo in there. It was never needed. It adds nothing to the characters or the plot. It only weakens it and bogs the story down.

3) I think it adds nothing and detracts more - especially applicability. A Force with no midichlorians is more applicable to any individual's interpretation and imagination of the Force. The midichlorians almost gives it a scientific definition and something you measure instead of 'feel and trust.' It is less applicable and makes the myth less myth-like.

BUT - that's my opinion - what are others?

5. raythemanf

raythemanf Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2004
    Hudnall-

Like so much of science fiction, there is always the idea that everything can be explained scientifically or through "mystery forces".

This is exactly what Lucas does here. He gives a explanation for a way to show that there is such a thing as having the ability to feel the force more than others. But he never goes into much detail with Anakin which still lets you imagine what you want to think.

And thats the key. You are led to believe Anakain is some kind of Jesus figure that you never really figure out. By chance, this boy working as a slave happens to be the most important thing in the world, thats science ficiton folks and thats what makes it great.

I thought it was cool he explained the force on a limited scope. He gave us a realistic way in how they can measure it and exactly why they believe this kid is so important. Remember he went against all the normal laws- he was too old, his future was clouded according to yoda. But he had the talent to balance the force and Qui-Gon saw that.

If you did not have the mediclorians mentioned in TPM I think you would wonder why the hell they care about this little kid. It wouldn't make much sense and wouldn't give anakin that presence of being the "special" one. I thought it was brilliant of Lucas and it really made me listen. It was cool to hear it explained and thats all I can ask for.

Sometimes people try to pick apart everything in Lucas's story, I think this is definitely something he did right.

If I had to pick some things I think he could of made better was not making episode 1 and 2 so childish sometimes. I know he makes them mostly for teenagers but they would be so much cooler if they were more adult oriented which episode 3 will be. The gungans including Jar Jar and stuff just really throws you out of the story and doesn't make you care, it makes you think why are you watching something so silly. The OT did a great job of showing good vs evil and making you care about the evil characters.

Episode 2 has gotten close with Dooku being a cool character and furthering the story, showing Anakin get closer and closer to the dark side. So I think episode 2 is a good movie that is close to the OT. I think Episode 3 definitely has the opportunity to get back to the old magic because it will be darker and you will care more. I do wish that he made a few things in episode 1 and 2 a little more adult oriented. Kids still loved the OT and they weren't nearly as silly.

But I don't mind the mediclorians or however you spell em. I still believe episode 2 was right up there with the other star wars movies. Episode 1 had a amaizng lightsaber fight at the end with some cool scenes mixed in. And Episode 3 will not just have the best action, but it could really bring back the Lucas magic with some incredible scenes that make you feel the force once again.

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Bashing bashing bashing, and sape told me there was no bashing in the film forums. OH well.

Midicholorians are there for one reason only, to show that Anakin is special. It would sound really dumb in Obi-Wan said "I sense the highest amount of force in him, even more than Yoda"

There is a spiritual and biological side of the force. Thats the way it is.

-Seldon

7. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    Hudnall

yes midiclorients are stupid, and your reasons were well expressed

as for me... "jar jar" the one character in all of star wars that has no purpose or meaning. he was only devised because GL thought it was a cute idea.

8. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    I personally don't like how GL developed the whole relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan. I was hoping for friendship, a brother/brother relationship or a father/son relationship, NOT a non-caring but giving person/whining brat relationship.

RE midichlorines: Midichlorines merely suggest a way for the Jedi to predict with some degree of certainty whether said person can be a Force-user or not and possibly how strong a Force-user the person is. I personally feel that it doesn't in any way destroy the divinity of the Force.

RE Jar Jar: I would have had no problem with him if main characters had gotten the screen time and character development that they deserved. :)

-Aunecah

9. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    I didn't intend to bring the midichlorian debate so I will try to get in on the other thread. I do agree that it was necessary to demonstrate how powerful Anakin was, I still feel midichlorians is a writer's shortcut and creates more plot problems than it fixes. I will add.

Nor do I want to bash Star Wars. I love it. That's why I'm here and everybody else is as well.

But - I think there are few things that each fan has an 'issue' with, and it is interesting to learn about them. And sometimes you change your own perspective.

I agree on the Jar Jar screen time. Especially by the time of his appearance in Clones.

10. MasterKay

MasterKay Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 4, 2003
    Most irritating to me are the whining scenes of Luke in ANH and Anakin in ATOC

They're like nails on the blackboard.

MK : )

11. DirkDiggler2

DirkDiggler2 Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2003
  12. JeremyVassago

JeremyVassago Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Plotline: Nothing annoys me as much as the following two, but if I had to point something out, it would be the midichlorians.

Character: Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen, ex aequo. :D

Scene: dull, bland, pretentious disposable upstart Dooku steals His Majesty's previously exclusive power - and then a rubber gremlin deflects it.

13. Depa Billaba

Depa Billaba Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 1998
    I don't have anything against Ewoks (except perhaps that they worshipped C-3PO and tried to roast Han). However, I was a little irritated when the Ewoks inflicted heavy damage on the stormtrooper legion with rocks and sticks. The whole scenario's especially ridiculous since the legion is supposed to be the best in the Empire.

Depa Billaba

14. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    The Ewoks disrupted the troops for a minute, but I don't remember any of them getting killed. And that wasn't the legion, it was like 50 guys.

As for annoying scenes, the Qui/Obi/Maul duel. I guess it looked neat, but it served no real purpose. No matter who won, the TF would still have been defeated and pushed off the planet.

15. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    1) Jar Jar Binks - Nuff said.

2) Ewoks - Need I say more?

3) The Yoda fight - It could have been done with a bit more style, and a lot less... drugs?

16. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    It wasn't the Ewoks as much as the time spent with the Ewoks. Those scene's seemed to take forever when I wanted to be back in that throan room with Luke and Vader.

17. Depa Billaba

Jul 21, 1998
    The Ewoks disrupted the troops for a minute, but I don't remember any of them getting killed. And that wasn't the legion, it was like 50 guys.

It has been a while since I watched ROTJ, but I know that they blew up at least one of the AT-ATs. They also threw rocks at the Stormtroopers. Without them, the Imperials wouldn't have given up in the end (when they run out of their control station).

As far as the "legion" goes, I used the wrong word. What I meant was that Palpatine said his best troops were waiting on Endor for the pitiful Rebel band.

Depa Billaba

18. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Boss Nass. The character in general doesn't annoy me. I like his voice and looks. But his damn slobbering thing bugs the Hell out of me everytime I see it. What's it all about?

19. Depa Billaba

Jul 21, 1998
    I don't know how I could have forgotten Boss Nass. His slobbering in TPM is almost as bad as seeing Jabba's tongue in ROTJ.

Depa Billaba

20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I believe it's the added scene in AOTC where Obi-Wan, Mace and Yoda are walking together in the Jedi temple. Just because it's badly written. It's absolutely fine up until the last line:

- Remember Obi-Wan: If the prophecy is true, your apprentice is the only one who can bring the Force back into balance.

What does that have to do with anything that's being said in the scene?
    Obi-Wan expresses his concerns about Anakin, how arrogant he has become and Yoda confirms his observation by saying that it's a flaw more and more common among Jedi. Then Mace reassures Obi-Wan by reminding him that Anakin can bring balance to the Force? What the hell?!
    Couldn't GL have added the line Mace had in the deleted scene with Obi-Wan, where he said that Obi-Wan must have faith in Anakin? Or done anything to make the line fit the conversation?

21. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Heres my thing with te midichlorins; Its entirely possible that midichlorin count has nothing to do with actual connection with the force. I see them as a genetic thing. Like i might have a gene that makes me more suseptable to have skin cancer, but that doesn't mean i <i>will</i> have skin cancer. Also, in the infamous midichlorin scene, Qui gon says that anakin has a higher MC count than even Yoda. Now really, its obvious that yoda has a better connection with the force than Anakin.

22. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    3) The Yoda fight - It could have been done with a bit more style, and a lot less... drugs?

[face_laugh]

Most annoying character= Jar Jar Binks/Jabba tie.

Most annoying plotline= sorry, it's a spoiler ;)

Most annoying scene= Dooku using lightning... and a saber blocking it.

23. master_jedi21

master_jedi21 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2003
    personally, I'm not a big fan of the droid factory sequence...

EUdiscoverer1136 likes this.
  24. FORCE_SKIN

FORCE_SKIN Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2003
    Qui Gon jinn.

I think I'm the only person on earth who didn't like this character.

25. SHB-JR

SHB-JR Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Midi clorians and the virgin birth. They both sucked me right out of the sw universe and into a theater with a huge group of disbeliving fans all just shaking our heads.

SHB JR

DARTH-FURBABY likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.