main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Scores are Everyone Listening to Now?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by lordvader10, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordvader10

lordvader10 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2002
    I just picked up Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Elfman and it rocks...I've been disappointed in him lately, but love this album.

Batman Begins - Have mixed feelings about it since its synthesized Hans Zimmer...

The Island - Only 3 good tracks...

What is everyone else listening to?

2. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Well, I recently picked up two Elfman scores: Big Fish and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, both of which are excellent. Elfman has always been one of my faves and he continues to impress me again and again. Although, I wish the albums for his scores were more complete.

I also have been listening to Batman Begins and War of the Worlds, both of which are difficult listening experiences on album. Both have great music, but also a lot of uninteresting filler. Shorter albums for each would have been better.

3. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Right now I'm listening to James Newton Howard's Dinosaur. I enjoyed it on my first listen, but after listening to it a few more times, it has really grown on me. I've also been listening to Treasure Planet. I don't understand why so many people seem to critisize this score so much. Sure it's not as great as Dinosaur or Atlantis, but it's still a fine piece of work.

I also have been listening to both Batman Begins and War of the Worlds, but I find them both very enjoyale. Not the best in my collection but nice additions nonetheless.

4. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Revenge... still. Yeah I am a nerd :p But I love this soundtrack [face_love]

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The Island - Only 3 good tracks...

My 1-star review of this is up on Amazon. The first score track is inoffensive but not great; the final score track is pretty good. There's one other decent track, but it sounds ripped from Gladiator, mostly. The rest of the score is offensively bad. True crap. I expected better from the guy who did Steamboy.

Anyway, I'm listening to Hisaishi's Spirited Away, Auric's Beauty and the Beast, and Goldsmith/McNeely's Air Force One.

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Revenge of the Sith. The only way I'll stop listening to it is if somebody steals my copy :p

7. lordvader10

Sep 1, 2002
    Yea I'm really enjoying Charlie and the Chocolate factory but one thing that DRIVES ME NUTS with Soundtracks is how the tracks are out of order, including ROTS!!! ARGH...God bless the AOTC full version.

The Island score was GREAT in the movie but just doesn't stand alone...same for Batman Begins, really.

I fear that orchestral scores (non-synthesized) is a dying art

8. ArthurClavin

ArthurClavin Jedi Master star 1

Jun 23, 2003
    ROTS. Guilty as charged.

AC

9. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    A recording of Richard Hayman conducting music from Star Wars (the film, not the saga). The orchestral version of "Cantina Band" is really something. "The Battle" is a very well-edited suite of battle music... but overall, the conducting, performance, and sound quality is sub-par on this one.

10. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    I'm trying to get my hands on Stargate, Cutthroat Island, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. In the meantime though, I'm switching between ROTS, and the complete scores for The Mummy and The Mummy Returns.

11. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Damn, people where do you get these complete scores from? :confused:

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Listening to John Powell's Paycheck. Lots of good-to-great action movie, but not very memorable or hummable, and without anything substantial enough to tie it together into a satisfying listening experience overall. At times it reminds me, oddly enough, of some of Morricone's work. Some really impressive stuff here, but the score just doesn't quite come together.

13. Bounty_Hunter_Boba

Bounty_Hunter_Boba Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 10, 2003
    Well, I just picked up The Mummy Returns yesterday. So far it's okay. Other than that, ROTS (I'll never stop listening to that) and The Omen.

BHB :cool:

14. Astrogeogal

Astrogeogal Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2005
    Currently, ROTS and Ever After by George Fenton.

15. yoda_rulz

yoda_rulz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2004
    ROTS, and then switching between Return of the King and Pirates of the Caribbean.

16. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    Well my Mummy Returns isn't all that great (organizational problems and loudness differences), but it is a complete score. I managed to find bits and pieces of it over the period of a couple of months, but I'd love to have the real thing. My Mummy is fine, though.

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Batman Begins, track 10.

18. lordvader10

Sep 1, 2002
    YES! I love Batman Begins Track 10...it's great to drive to!

Also I like 11's calmness...

19. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    I was on a Lord Of The Rings kick last week...

The past couple of days I've been listening to The Great Escape and The Magnificent Seven.

ttbk

20. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I just recieved John Powell's and Harry Gregson-Williams' score to Chicken Run, and I must say -- what fun! I'm only on my second listen, but it's a hoot. Does anyone know how their score to Antz is in comparison? If it's anything like Chicken Run, I'll definitely have to pick it up.

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I prefer Antz. Also great fun. The way I describe it to people is usually, "Imagine Danny Elfman at his zaniest writing a Media Ventures pastiche."

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Now I'm listening to King Arthur, another Zimmer classic.

23. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Recently I've been listening to:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I don't really need to say anything, do I?
    Donnie Darko - Really interesting 80s retro score. Very interesting method of being part of the period film and a great score at the same time
    The Triplets of Belleville - Great. Just great. French jazz crossed with a bit of Pink Panther-esque stylings make for great listening.

24. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    At the moment? The Flying Toaster Anthem, from After Dark. ;)

But aside from the occasional Pixar Bug's Life or Incredibles, it's mostly ROTS and TESB right now.

25. Estaban

Estaban Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2005
    Jan Hammer, Miami Vice: The Complete Collection. Specifically Disk 1 Track 5 "Evan"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.