main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What species are the star wars characters?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Tyrannus, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    They look like humans, but they come from another galaxy? Are they humans? Or aliens? Or are they like superman, both?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They're consistantly referred to as humans.

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    They are humans. Just like how there are Humans on the Discworld, despite it having no contact with Earth (Apart from Rincewind's accidental transdimensional hop in The Lure of the Wyrm)

If you want a little more detail that isn't set in the films, the ancient aliens described as the celestials were responsible for seeding humans across dozens of star systems more than 200 000 years before the films, with different cultures rising up on Coruscant and Corellia and other places throughout the galaxy)

4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Funny, I came to this forum to post a topic asking if there has ever been anything in the EU about the origins of humans in the SW universe, and how they became the dominant species.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It came awfully close. Lucasfilm's 'Alien Chronicles' would have established humans as having been exported from Earth; was never written though.

6. Jedi Ghurubai

Jedi Ghurubai Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2012
    I prefer it that way.I don't want to see Abraham Lincoln: Sith Hunter.

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Superman's not human, he's a Kryptonian. Hence the superpowers.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Does that mean that earth is a part of the star wars story? Star wars is my favorite sci fi of all time, it would be awesome to see anakin skywalker/darth vader or luke and leia traveling to earth, or any of the other characters? Did they come from earth? Are they humanoid aliens?

Superman is a human-looking alien. The jedi have superpowers too.

9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    It would be cool if star wars had some more sci-fi themes in it, such as mentioning that it is a galaxy far away from Earth. It would enrichen the already awesome story, knowing that the people in star wars are space aliens on the other side of the universe. Also, is star wars futuristic, ancient, or present time? Does it exist in a fantasy universe, or not?

10. Ernesto1035

Ernesto1035 Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2012
    To quote every Star Wars thing ever:

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

Same universe, different galaxy. All in the past.

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Star wars is not a fantasy universe, I presume. It's not a fantasy world, it's the real universe that we live in, just in a different galaxy I guess. I might be wrong.

If I wrote star wars, I would have made it futuristic, or in the present day, more likely futuristic. I like it far better that way. It just seems more cool.

12. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The Star Wars galaxy which is called "Skyriver" can't be located in the same universe like Earth and the Milky Way Galaxy, because the physical laws in both galaxies are different compared to each other, but the physical laws in Earth's universe must be the same everywhere in it so it cannot contain Skyriver.

Humans evolved on Coruscant thence named Notron as "Zhell". There they've fought against the Taung, which have evolved on Coruscant too. The Zhell drove the Taung off the planet in 200,000 BBY. After this event the Zhell/Humans urbanized their worlds and were taken by the Celestials and Rakata, used generation and sleeper ships to settle the Galactic Core and discovered the hyperdrive ~25,600 BBY.

The Coruscanti Humans differ from Earth Humans, too. For example, the first ones have got midichlorians in their blood and can get killed by psychical pain like broken heart, which Earth Humans have not/cannot. Also their are no Humans on Earth that look or could look like Emperor Palpatine, Darth Malak, Sion, Nihilus or Vader without plastical surgery.

Beside, there has been an expedition from Skyriver to Milky Way. E.T. comes from Brodo Asogi like Senator Grebleips (seen in TPM) and has been send on an intergalactic transdimensional voyage to Earth where he has arrived in the 80s.^^ I would assume Earth is one of Coruscant's colonies and Terrans are near-Humans.

Only problem with this theory is the language. Galactic Basic Standard and modern English both sound almost the same. Basic has been created 15,000 BBY, today's English came up maybe 200 years ago and has changed a bit even during this time. Hmm...

Perhaps I spend to much time thinking about non-hard science fiction.^^ Oh no, Humans on Earth awoke far east in Hildorien after the first rising of the sun!

Yunners likes this.
  13. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    This is actually and Easter egg/joke thing between two friends called George Lucas and Steven Spielberg...but in E.T., on Halloween, E.T. goes out, sees a kid in a Yoda costume, and says: "Home...home."
    Later, in TPM (I think) some E.T.-like congresspeople are seen in a Senate pod.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes, those were seen in TPM. The novel Cloak of Deception also mentions that the E.T. Senator seen in TPM was called Grebleips (Spielberg spelt backwards), and the old HoloNet website says that this guy funded an extra-galactic survey.

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...." was essentially meant to say "don't worry about where or when this takes place, and just enjoy it." It makes it timeless and free of any references to specific places and expectations that could bring. It's essentially the equivalent of a fairy tale starting with "Once upon a time in a land far away...".

16. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    ^
    Don't overthink, just watch and enjoy.

TrakNar likes this.
  17. darthsmozers

darthsmozers Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2000
    English is much older than 200 years.
    And yeah, maybe you're thinking too much into it ;)

18. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    They're humans. Just like you and me but they live elsewhere. It's done to make telling a story easier for the audience. Luke Skywalker wouldn't be too easily related to by you and me if he was 3 feet tall and covered in green scales with eyeballs the size of marbles.

19. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
  20. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I hate hard science fiction/hard sci-fi with a passion. It's is so lame and boring!!!!

21. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    *blink*

That could potentially be really awesome, you do know that.

22. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    [face_shame_on_you]

23. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    [face_shame_on_you][/quote]
    :D;)

24. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    According to the Star Wars Encycopedia, the common tongue of the human inhabitants of the Core Worlds is called Basic. I think everything (execpt the writing) is translated into English or German or Spanish or whatever language the viewer understands. It does call the main character (Han, Lando, Leia, Luke, Obi-Wan Palps and Vader) as human.
    However, Chewbacca is a wookiee.
    Jabba is a hutt.
    R2-D2 and C-3PO are droids.
    Yoda's species is never identified.

25. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    No, Galactic Basic Standard is like American English. In-universe it sounds almost exactly like modern day American English, in all non-English translations it is still assumed to be English (in-universe), but portrayed as the translated language. The same way Westron has been translated to English in Lord of the Rings.