main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC What Star Wars Character is over-rated?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by fakename99, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fakename99

fakename99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    This thread is to discuss what Star Wars character we feel is over-rated. That one character that other people seem to love and you just don?t get it.

Mine is Han Solo. I feel he is a one dimensional character with no real development over three films. Besides the fact the he is only in it for the money at the beginning of Star Wars and ends-up helping the rebel alliance at the end, there is no real development. Even Harrison Ford called him a paper thin character. I don?t hate Han Solo. I just get why everyone seems to think that he is the greatest character from the Original movies. I mean really, the man?s clothes don?t even change over the three films. I guess the clothes are like the man.

That is it. Agree or disagree? Also, what character do you think is over-rated?

2. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    I agree somewhat. while Han was shallow, I think making Greedo shot first took away some of his character development. when we first seen him in ANH He's ruthless, anything to get the money he needs and he blows away Greedo. we later see him develop a heart and care about the people around him. With Greedo shooting first, Han doesn't seem so heartless and so the growth he has doesn't stand out as much.

Overrated character: Obiwan
    edit to finish He lied evetytime you turn around. In the OT we see him do jack.

3. fakename99

Sep 26, 2001
    I do agree with that. When I was at Celebration II Rick McCallum asked who hated greedo shooting first, everyone hated it.

4. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Awww, I like Han. Of course that's because he's a bit of a smarty pants and I like that sort of thing. :) I do understand the bit about character development. SB and I (nerds that we are) have had this discussion before. Character-wise, I actually prefer Luke to Han because Luke changes dramatically throughout the trilogy, while Han is just same old Han. Granted he does develop more of a 'heart', but there isn't much development beyond that.

As for who I think is overrated, I'll have to give that some thought.

5. Darth_Stalker

Darth_Stalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2002
    Boss Nass. Okay maybe he is not that highly rated, but no matter how much you hate him it simply isn't enough.

Conversly, the character who was never rated high enough was Wedge Antillies. He accomplished as much as Luke yet no action figure of him for almost twenty years.

6. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Hahaha! I *hate* Boss Nass too. I hate him more than Jar Jar even. But then again, I don't know anyone that likes him...

7. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Obi-wan overrated? How can you say such lies?

The only reason we see him do jack is because he's dead 2/3 of the OT. But he kicks major butt in the PT.

Obi-wan is definitely NOT overrated.

8. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Obi-wan did at least sever an arm in ANH. There are several other charcters who can't say that.

9. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Obi-wan is not overrated. Just because he tells things that aren't exactly true doesn't make him a lame character. It just makes him a liar!

10. fakename99

Sep 26, 2001
    Obi-Wan is great. He cuts off arms. He helped train two different Skywalkers. He got that kid off death sticks.

11. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    That death sticks dude got on my nerves. I don't know for sure whether he gave up the death sticks or just "rethought it", personally I don't care. He annoyed me, even his name was stupid.

12. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    according to the EU, he did rethink his life and became something good. I don't remeber what cause I didn't care really

13. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Ah, okay. Did he rethink his hairdo also?

14. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I am so on board with the Wedge as most underrated character comment, Roger. He's survives all three movies, AND he gets the first shot off on the 2nd Death Star. Yet who gets the credit? Lando. Phooey.

Most overrated character from the films? The troublemaker in me wants to say Leia, but I'm in a grumpy mood today so I won't make any rash decisions......

As for the EU - Mara Jade is highly overrated. I can't stand her. Ok, I admit, I haven't read the all the books (I'm a lawyer, I am professionally trained to rant about things I don't know jack about) but one reason I haven't gotten into the EU is due to her whining about how Luke ruined her life and she's gonna kill him. She's had 5 years. Just do it already, woman, or shut up!

15. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    YEah a real lame way to take the on-set name and make it the official character name. Kyle Sleezebag

EDIT: Doesn't Mara end up marrying Luke in the end???

16. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    yes they are married and have a kid and it's not the end yet

17. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    Mon Mothma. Did we ever see her do anything? She didn't even give a good rally speech to her troops.

18. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Very true, she just whines about the Bothans that died. Gen. Madine and Ackbar give the actual mission briefs.

19. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    So she's killing him slowly then? Got it. (Told you I was grumpy)

20. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    My opinion about the overrated character is the Fetts. What did they Really do NOTHING!!!!!!!
    Except die like sissys.

21. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Well, if we're going for characters of great fame who do nothing in the films, I'm going with Aurra Sing as pretty high on that list. You get a glimpse of her just standing there at one pod race, and for that she's revered?

22. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Even though I like the Fetts, I'll have to agree. I don't understand why Boba Fett is SO popular! I remember a few years ago, the SW insider ran a huge poll to find out peoples' most favorite characters. If memory serves, Han was #1. Luke placed 3rd, but guess who was second? No, not Leia, not Vader. Frickin' Boba Fett! I was baffled.

23. AT-AT_Commander

Jun 23, 2001
    yeah i have to agree the Aurra sing is over-rated too. I think the Kaminos are under-rated. I mean they created the Empire for crikes sake.

24. JediShaLee

JediShaLee Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    OkIlike han, I think Leia is over rated, sorry Tim, but she is force sensative and never really does anything about it.It makes me crazy. At least in Star by Star she throws a few things around with the force.
    Obi Wan is OK I know everyone says he lied but really he was just rephrasing the truth in a certain kind of way.
    i like Qui Gon but he needed more stuff to show his grit.
    As far as the death sticks guy he is like so many people I come in contact with that i find him a little earth normal.

25. AT-AT_Commander

Jun 23, 2001
    i personally liked the sleezebag. but that was me. hey and think of it we found out that jar jar wasn't that overrated. at least he did something like start the empire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.