main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    City of Ember
    Family science fiction film set in a post-apocalyptic future. After an event in the future that the narrative doesn't delve into, the earth becomes uninhabitable, so the remaining survivors decide that they will have to build a city deep under ground in order for humanity to survive. It is presumed that the knowledge of the world above, and what once was and was lost, would devastate the underground society with mass depression, so it is decided that the founders would not tell the later generations about mankind's past. Instead, they are left with a sealed box with a message, set to open after 200 years, when presumably it is safe to come back up to the surface. This is the first 2 minutes of the film.

What follows is fairly intriguing and entertaining, but my overall opinion of it was so so. The ending also felt a bit anti-climactic. I give it 3 out of 5.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Visitor (2008). It was an excellent little drama with a great Oscar worthy performance by Richard Jenkins. This movie seemed to kickstart his career too since he's been in a lot of stuff after that. I highly recommend it.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The proper term would be jingoistic. I know little about the remake, but that would certainly apply to the original. Its premise was a paranoid Reagan-era fantasy meant to exploit extremely irrational fears of the USSR and communism. It was a laughable movie that presented itself and the Soviets and Cubans (lololol) somehow being capable of landing troops in the lower 48-- let alone Colorado-- with a serious tone it did not deserve. Never mind that a nuclear war would have occurred long before it got to that stage (forgot how that was handwaved and I don't care because it was dumb).

Discounting that the remake is of a film that should be left in the dustbin of cinema, the trailers seem to present it in a equally serious manner. And lol DPRK/PRC/Russian coalition.

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Lincoln. Loved it. DDL does it again, with help from Spielberg. There Will Be Oscars. More out of respect for its subject matter than for it's greatness. Kids will be watching it in school for decades to come.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Wait, wait, wait. Are you saying a movie mined an unrealistic situation for action and drama?

Asterix_of_Gaul likes this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'd say the political sentiment behind it and the fact that at least the original portrays a "plausible" situation is distasteful. And the movie is plain bad even ignoring that.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Also, even were that not the case, your counterpoint to Guy is not a good one. He did not criticize the premise itself, but that said premise was presented with such gravity and seriousness. Goofy plots are created all the time to serve as vehicles for mindless action. See any film in the Transformers series, or any of the Resident Evil sequels. But to attempt to make something sound more plausible, and end up with a device as ridiculous as the "problem" you were trying to fix is pretty worthy of scorn. That's exactly what the three-way alliance Asterix described did. That betrays a grasp of geo-politics so terrible that it is unrivaled by most anything since Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game spin-offs.

8. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    ^I can't wait to see it :)

Sherlock Holmes: The Game of Shadows

9. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Sherlock Holmes: The Game of Shadows

10. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    The Forbidden Kingdom 7/10

11. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    if the kids are going to be watching lankins in class, i wish spielberg had peppered the movie with more f-bombs.
    peppered like the fat guy that you have seen grinding half of the pepper in the thing on top of his steak and fries. medium rare, please.

12. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Life of Pi in XD (HUGE screen, digital projection) 3D. If there is a better film out there, I've never seen it. Not only is the cinema technically perfect from the script to the score (and everything in between), it speaks to me on a personal level. Life of Pi has instantly become my favorite film of all time.

13. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    That is awesome :D I hope I can see it as such.

14. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    wow. i thought it was good but not THAT good. it was kind of a thing of the sum being lesser than the parts. also the device they used to frame the story was clunky. and the part where the author was like oh so this was this and that was that almost made me pull out my piece and shoot up the screen. and save a bullet for the little window and the projector beyond it.

15. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    There was no scene in the film that left me less than amazed, astonished, laughing, weeping, or just plain glad to be alive. I don't know what you mean about the framing device being "clunky" -- it isn't -- nor do I have any problem with the author's summation, which is essential to understanding what has just happened in the preceding two hours.

16. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    yes, but he didn't need to say it out loud. it was obvious what was what. i let loose a huge fart when i heard him explain it, and it stunk up the whole theater.

17. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    But...it's supposed to be a hypothetical future/timeline where things change in such a way that said coalition is possible and likely. It's a movie, it's fun, and not difficult to accept the fictional premise that would not occur in the real world. Much like "red matter" in Star Trek--it's easy to accept for the purpose of enjoying the film.

18. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Revenge of the Sith on Spike

19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I needed him to say it. Just cuz ur like, all smart n stuff, doesn't mean the rest of us are.

20. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Sweet November
    Keanu Reeves and Charlize Theron reunite in their second movie appearance together, in this romantic drama from 2001. Reeves works in advertising and loves his job. Slightly psychopathic Theron tells him he doesn't.

I liked it. Had to get used to Reeves' special mannerisms, but I liked it. :p

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Grabbers, a lowish budget alien/monster movie set on a small Irish island. Like a funnier Attack the Block.

[​IMG]

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Twilight, unfortunately.

23. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    i'm not that smart! that's the thing! ok, nevermind.

24. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Skyfall.

in all honesty, worth a second viewing.

25. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Fargo. Good, short film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.