main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    Just finished watching Rocky ('76). It's actually the first time I've seen this movie.
    And I didn't really get the end. I don't follow boxing so I don't know the rules. And I see different opinions when googling the matter.. so can anybody tell me if he won or lost? And how is it decided anyways?

2. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit :p

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    he lost on points.

4. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    YES!!!

Preach the gospel, brother!

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  6. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    i really liked this. the end was a little too neat, but other than that, it was solid. that crash had me in ecstasy.

7. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    tom I saw Invisible War at my local film fest a couple weeks ago. The director was there and spoke a bit about it afterwards. One of the things he mentioned was that the film is now being used as part of the sexual assault prevention campaign in the military. I think he said something like 15% of the armed forces have already viewed the film. Agree that it's a powerful piece of film making.

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    A Good Day To Die Hard - RT 15%
    Beautiful Creatures - RT 46%
    Safe Haven - 12%
    Escape From Planet Earth 3D - not reviewed

How to choose, how to choose?

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    SKYFALL. Picked up the bluray the other day and finally put it on this morning.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Watch them all at the same time. Watch one for 5 minutes, run into another room and watch another one for 5 minutes.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not seeing Die Hard til Sat night, but a couple people I know have seen it and said it was really good, so I'm going in with an open mind.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've enjoyed all of them thus far and would say that 2 was my least favorite. Kinda sucks this one is getting panned though.

13. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Fright Night. I found it quite hilarious. David Tennant especially was a good laugh.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    A Good Day to Die Hard, really good but too predictable

15. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    13 Assassins

Samurai flick from about two years ago. Not for the squeamish but pretty badass.

16. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    The Hangover -- Finally gave this one a shot. Shied away from it the last several years for some reason. Wife and I giggled like demented school children throughout. I did not enjoy the sadistic tazering scene, and thought that Doug's
    sleeping on the hotel roof for two days
    strained the film's already farcical credibility. Other than that it was vastly entertaining, hilarious, even touching in an understated way. 3 stars!

Darth_Invidious and Life like this.
  17. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Atlas Shrugged Part 1
    Meh, it was okay. A little too industrial for me, but interesting enough that I'll watch Part 2 when it's available on Netflix.

I've also never read the book....nor do I want to.

18. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    some nice sets in that movie.

19. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Oh yes. the imagery was spectacular, as were the realistic technological advances.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Skyfall. Missed it in theaters, excellent film.

21. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    In Time.

somewhat interesting idea but a very flawed, infantile storyline against PEOPLE WITH MONEY OOPS I MEAN TIME

22. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Dead Poet's Society

I've seen snippets, but this is the first time I've seen it in its entirety. It's really not a bad film, but it started dragging on just after the halfway mark.
    Still, as a teacher, it's fun (in a way) to see old ideas and methods....and sad to see that some things just do't change within people.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    moonrise kingdom. it was very sweet, i liked it a lot.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    (reposting from the specific film thread)

A Good Day to Die Hard- . It's an entertaining action flick, but it's very bare bones compared to the other films. They don't waste too much time setting up the story or getting the characters into the events and kinda just take it as a mission-style movie, with no sidetrack lulls like the Kevin Smith scenes in the 4th film.

Tonally, it's closer to Live Free (which makes sense, since they're supposed to form 2/3rds of a new trilogy) though the dynamic is rather different this time out since it's not all on McClane and a sidekick but rather evenly split between him and his son as the main characters.

The downside is the villain and their plot isn't that well developed (though it does develop a little bit of unexpected complexity late in the film after you've been kind of lulled into thinking it's going to remain static) and is kind of forgotten about towards the end.

A shame, given how great Timothy Olyphant was in the 4th film (yeah, I know I'm in the minority with that opinion, but I'll stand by that as the whole point of a great Die Hard villain is one that gets eternally frustrated by McClane's constant interventions in their plot, and Olyphant's character serves that purpose better than any of the other film's villains with exception to the first film- something crystalized in a scene towards the end of LF between him and the daughter; along that same train of thought, that facet of a DH villain is not present in AGDTDH, which is one of it's shortcomings).

That said, the three major set pieces are pretty great and deliver the action.

Of the 4 Expendables-related films that have come out in the last month or so, this one is somewhere in the middle, depending on your criteria. The Last Stand is probably the most fun of the 4, though some of it's character subplots are basic and lacking, whereas Parker has the most plot and character to it, while Die Hard has the most spectacle and Bullet to the Head comes up below average.

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I know there was a thread devoted to mocking Mumblecore and the Duplass brothers, so I feel guilty that I watched Baghead last night and didn't hate it. There were some borderline clever things about it, and I wasn't exactly bored.

And for a movie that grossed $140,000, the mocking of no budget low rent film festival circuit movies made it at least a bit ironically self-aware, for whatever that's worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.