main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    On Friday, I worked up the energy and popped in my DVD of Schindler's List and watched it from beginning to end without getting up.

2. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    - The Terminal (nicen cute film with a great Tom Hanks)

- Johnson Family Vacation (nice, but only nice)

-Mel

3. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    DVD: Goodfellas SE

HBO: Intolerable Cruelty

4. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Hero: Awesome movie! I is Jet Li's best character so far and I liked the fact that it is entirely in chinese. The photography was beautiful and with vivid colors, excellent fighting scenes. It is slow-paced but I couldn't find bigger flaws. I think this is a must if you like martial arts movies.

The Butterfly Effect:I rented the DVD but I only wacthed the theatrical cut (Do'h!). The idea looks original and well managed but Kutcher was not the right guy for this character, and he looks ugly with that beard (like a chimp). It failed to explain what lead Evan to discover he could make "time trips" so easily, and the fact that he was traveling back and forth undiscriminately to fullfill his selfish purposes turned this movie into a Sci-Fi flick for teenagers. It was interesting and entertaining nonetheless.

5. Darth_Misfit138

Darth_Misfit138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    The Punisher. :cool:

6. BabaORileyFett

BabaORileyFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    I watched half of The Princess Bride.

I love that film.

7. jedidc

jedidc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    I was unfortunately dragged to see Wicker Park. Instead of kicking and screaming the whole way there I contined to scream a=in agony throughout the whole movie. Would not recommend it.

8. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen

I thought that since it was made after a book, it would be good. I was very, very, very to the 1000th power wrong.

JS

9. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Underworld. Caught it on HBO the other day. A pretty cool movie.

10. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    - Soulplane (pretty interesting concept - a hip hop airline! was funny but not that good!)
    - Shaun of the Dead (weird little british parody for dawn of the dead and old zombie films. really bizarre and very funny and entertaining!)

-Mel

11. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    Fahrenheit 9/11

wow not as good as columbine but definitely worth to check out. I actually just like teh first half of it where you get to see all the machinations behind 9/11. later on all you see is victims of war almost without break - a bit too long for my taste and I guess that's how MM lost a lot of viewers.
    all in all not as solid and interestingly made as the other MM movies, also very one-sided, but definitely a must see!!!

-Mel

12. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Crimson Tide and The Hunt for Red October. Those Movies just kick Ass.

13. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    Reservoir Dogs and The Great Dictator :p

Why am I Mr. Pink?

14. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    the great dictator is like one of the best films ever made!!! :)
    did you like it?

watched Dr. Strangelove

weird little film, but definitely worth checking out. I was a bit disappointed though cause everyone kept telling me how great this film was and that left me slightly down at the end...

-Mel

15. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    "Dr. Strangelove" is one that benefits from repeated viewings..

I was disappointed the first time i watched it, too, but the more you watch it, the more you appreciate its' brilliance..

George C. Scott was hilarious in that one..

"But he was taking pictures of the BIG BOARD!"

I got to spend this past weekend at the Toronto International Film Festival...Saw some pretty solid movies that, unfortunately, probably won't get much of a release..

Most well-known film that i saw was "I Heart Huckabees", which was a very intelligently written existential comedy.. Highly recommended. Mark Wahlberg gives his best performance i've seen to date.

Also saw "The Machinist", the latest from Brad "Session 9" Anderson, which features an absolutely stunning performance from Christian Bale (who lost 50 pounds for the film ! You will NOT BELIEVE how skinny he is!).. If you find the chance, check this one out..It's a paranoid thriller that is just fascinating to watch. Also has Jennifer Jason Leigh and Michael Ironside.

Other movies i got to see:

"Undertow": starring Josh Lucas and Jamie "Billy Elliot" Bell. Very dark, atmospheric tale of tragedy and betrayal. Has a terrific ambiguous ending. Terrence Malick is a producer (just so you know what to expect)

"Creep": German/British venture starring Franka Potente in a fairly effective gore-out horror flick. Franka is locked in the london subway system. She finds out that can sometimes be a bad thing. Draws upon "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and the uber-classic "Raw Meat". Not for the squeamish.

"House of Flying Daggers": Latest from "Hero" director Yimou Zhang. Absolutely stunning visuals and terrific fight sequences. If you liked "Hero", you'll like this.

16. Twelve_Motion

Twelve_Motion Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Goodfellas.

17. BabaORileyFett

BabaORileyFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Jaws on DVD.

18. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Theater: Open Water 7.3/10

DVD: AOTC 8.3/10

19. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    "But he was taking pictures of the BIG BOARD!"

there was some hilarious dialogue in it! ;)

"I Heart Huckabees", "The Machinist", "Undertow", "House of Flying Daggers"

those are already on my must-see-list. the trailers were quite intriguing.

The Machinist and House of Flying Daggers actually also showed here during the fantasy film festival, but unfortunately I didn't get the chance to go - WORK! :(

-Mel

PS seen Code 46. rather lame movie. I was so intrigued by the trailer and then this.....overall message of the movie "you cannot beat the system!"...and that in the times we live in! :_|

20. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    'Twilight Samurai'. It shows a whole different side of what a Samurai's life was, by building the story around a lower-class Samurai whose wife dies and who finds himself raising two young daughters and taking care of their senile grandmother by himself.

I liked it quite a bit, since it shows us the old Japan and its problems, but from a different point of view. :)

21. Twelve_Motion

Twelve_Motion Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Watched Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid last night. What a great movie.

22. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    the great dictator is like one of the best films ever made!!!
    did you like it?

Believe it or not, it was the first Chaplin movie I ever saw. Of course it was funny and I loved the interaction between Hynky and that Italian dictator (I forgot his name) who was supposed to be Mussolini.
    The ending was surprisingly moving, excellent.

23. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Army of Darkness
    The Ladykillers 2004

24. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    The last film I saw in the cinema was Anchorman, which I thought was pretty good. It's very silly, which suits me pretty well! :p

On DVD the last one I saw was Shaun Of The Dead. Brilliant film, tho I was pretty much guaranteed to love it as I'm a big fan of the TV show Spaced which is by the same guys.

25. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Garage Days by Alex Proyas (The Crow, Dark City, I, Robot). A surprisingly warm-hearted fun little comedy, with absolutely TREMENDOUS cinematography. Worth watching for that alone. But it's cute and fun as well. The American DVD cover, in typical boneheaded fashion, gives away the ending right in the tagline, but oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.