main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was your first reaction when you saw that Darth Maul's lightsaber was double bladed?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by LukeSkywalker89, Dec 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    The episode one teaser is the first high-rez file I ever downloaded. It took hours (evening through till the morning). I watched it over and over for DM's lightsaber and the jump the three make in the reactor room (DM's backflip, Qui-Gon's leap and Ben's sommersault). Here are my first three reactions each of the first three times I've watched it...

1st-"What the hell?"

2nd-"This movie's going to be awesome just for that!"

3rd- [face_shocked]

2. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    When I saw his lightsaber go double, I had thought, I have to see that movie! :D

3. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    When I saw it, my first reaction was "Cool, it's just like Exar Kun's saber. Bad-ass Dark Jedi. Must...see...movie!"

4. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I don't remember for sure but it was probably, "Cool," like most peoples.

Probably a little of the how would he fight with it reaction as well.

5. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    My eyes went wide, jaw dropped, I broke out into a smile and said something like "Oh, that's too friggin' cool." Or something like that. ;)

6. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    My reaction was close to fainting or something silly like that.

7. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    My first reaction-"How the hell is he going to fight with that thing?"

Next reaction- :cool:

8. Muskytoecat

Muskytoecat Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2002
    That little clip of the double lightsaber in the trailer was probably THE SINGLE MOST memorable scene in the preview. It was an example of a picture being worth a thousand words. It said to me, holy crap, major lightsaber fight in the mix...among other thoughts. Basically it was a "damn...that's frickin' cool!!!"
    And then I thought about how I saw this before as belonging to Exar Kun...Hmmm not so fresh afterall.

9. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Holy [expletive deleted]! It was pretty cool lookin on the big screen.

10. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    I thought it was crap. I still think it is crap. I think Darth Maul is crap too.

11. coney_1_kenobi

coney_1_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    Okay...this is different. my first thought was actually..."I thought there must have been a reason for the extra long handle (after seeing the desert battle)"

12. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Cool but he'll still get his bleep kicked.

13. Alrowen

Alrowen Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2003
    "I wasn't scared for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's life,but I was on the edge of my seat.
    May the Force be with you!"
    Alrowen Falckon

14. Heavenly_Angel

Heavenly_Angel Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    first thing i said was: "holy cow! that's a big lightsaber! w/ two ends, too!!!"

15. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    "so THATS how he's gonna fight 2 Jedi at the same time"

16. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    First reaction:

"Whoa"

The second thing I said is too rude to post here ;)

17. Tracer_Bullet

Tracer_Bullet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2003
    "Whoah!" was my first reaction as well. Personally, I think that the double-bladed lightsabre was a brilliant idea. It's an interesting change from the traditional lightsabre without doing anything outlandish or extreme. However, I'm not so sure that I liked Count Dooku's Arabian-esque curved lightsabre handle in AotC. . .

18. Just_Joe

Just_Joe Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 9, 2002
    "..........eep!"

19. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    I really don't see the benefits in having a curved handle. I do the see the benefit in being able to block and attack at the same time. (double-bladed).

20. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    I really don't see the benefits in having a curved handle

its used in fencing, it lets you drop the sword with your wrist faster, not drop like on the ground but drop the saber from an up position to a down position

21. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    I take fencing at my college and nowhere have I seen a curved handle. Nor has my brother who is taking fencing 500 miles away.

You could be right, but I doubt it.

22. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    i do more kendo and tai chi saber then fencing but i have a book on it that talks about

23. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    Really? I'm taking western style fencing (european). I've only been in there for 6 months so I'm not an expert. Is there any- where on the net that you could point me to?

24. Draculas_guest

Draculas_guest Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2001
    I had heard of a character called Exar Kun and read that he had a double ended lightsaber, but I'd never actually read the comic book he was in, so I didnt know what he looked like or anything about him, so when I saw the trailer for TPM, I thought it actually was Exar Kun (It wasnt until a while afterwards that I found out it was Darth Maul)

The first time I saw the trailer for TPM, was on TV one morning a few months before the film was released. I remember for a brief second in the trailer, you see Maul standing there holding his lightsaber, when suddenly the other end switches on. My reaction was "HOLY FREAKIN COW! @#~!?%$£". I never thought I'd actually see a double-ended lightsaber in a Star Wars film, and Darth Maul is still one of my favourite things from TPM.

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.