main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What would you rate the Star Wars Miniatures?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by DarthQuellonis, Aug 16, 2005.

?

What would you rate the Star Wars Miniatures?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Needs work!

19.0%
  2. Not my style.

4.8%
  3. Not really interested.

23.8%
  4. Needs a little more tweaking.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. It's Okay.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I like it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pretty good.

9.5%
  8. Lovely.

23.8%
  9. It's great!

9.5%
  10. Supurb!!!

9.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    I personally think they are o.k. but I'm upset Wizards is completetly ignoring the d20 system's sourcebooks.

2. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Same here, where's that option on the poll?

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    There aren't very many options for generic characters. It seems to concentrate on the main characters from the movies and being a collectable rather than a game.

4. DarthQuellonis

May 22, 2005
    I know, that part annoyed me. Somebody should ask wizards to stop producing these figures, as they have basically already created almost every main character and variation. They should concentrate on the D20 role playing game more.

5. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    yeah, the whole "mystery pack" system annoys me. But then again this is the company that made it's fortune on Pokemon cards and Magic:The Gathering. What else should we expect?

WEG let you know exactly what you wer buying, and how many. All you had to do was paint (and occasionally glue). I actually preferred that. But I'm old. Not the target demographic anymore.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Seeing as how I seem to be the only regular player/collector here, let me clear a few things up.

SWRPG wasn't selling, Quellonis, and as WOTC are a business and not a charity they decided throwing money at a problem which was not making any money was indeed, daft.

SW Minis needed to sell, because unlike D&D it had crossover potential which is why they have reliance on movie characters. However, the fringe aliens provide wonderful opportunities for alien characters. For humans, it's somewhat lacking but between, for example, the Human Merc (Male Human Soldier), Jedi Knight (Male Human JG/JC) and upcoming Young Jedi Knight (Female human JG/JC), you're getting there. I have both scoundrels, male and female, as well as the Jedi from the WOTC metal line which compliment the RPG nicely. We only use WotC minis now for RPG in place of WEG or Micro-machine figures.

The random thing is nice, since I have bucketloads of Stormtroopers now which was always a problem with the WEG thing; you had bugger all chance of finding multiple packs of stormtroopers and then you had to paint them.

The line is fantastic for both minis combat and the RPG, and with some digging you can find the useful metal figures - Jedi Padawan, Male Scoundrel, Male Fringer, Female Padawan, Female Scoundrel - on eBay. Plus future sets will resolve this.

E_S

7. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    I'm really enjoying the minis, they're great for use ingame. There's heaps of generics in the "fringe" section, and a good mix of EU characters. Besides, just because it looks like a Naboo guard doesn't mean I can't use it as a CorSec officer. We use the farmboy Skywalker figurine as the group's young, snot-nosed slicer, and a Super Battle Droid as the team's HK unit. Not a clue what I'm going to do with my "huge" one when it arrives [face_worried]

Like above though, it's great to have loads of generic troopers (I think with the Rebel Storm you were guarenteed to get at least 1 Stormie and 1 Rebel per pack, and with the Clone Strike and Revenge of the Sith sets you would get at least 1 Clone and 1 Battle Droid. Not a clue what the breakdown for Universe Huge is).

8. DarthQuellonis

May 22, 2005
    I feel it doesn't have enough depth to it.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Um, how?

I mean, what the hell more do you want? You want D&D minis detail?

ES

10. DarthQuellonis

May 22, 2005
    It can get boring after a while with the same maps, and just fighting.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Maybe, then, they should change their marketing strategy to advertising it as a tabletop squad-based combat game rather than say a minis version of the RPG, so people like you don't get mislead in the future? o_O

E_S

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Also, there are very few creatures. the rpg had a lot of creatures to fight.

13. DarthQuellonis

May 22, 2005
    What would you people add for improvements?

14. Caleb14

Caleb14 Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    I like the Star Wars Miniatures. One improvement I would like to see would be the addition of better fringe uniques. The first two sets (Rebel Storm and Clone Strike) both had pretty good fringers i.e Aurra Sing and Boba Fett, but ROTS and Universe I feel both lack strong unique fringers. (Someone let me know if the disagree)
    I think that they could also create another generic jedi model like they have made for dark side force uses i.e. Sith Witch and Darkside Maurader in the Imperial faction from Universe in comparison to Young Jedi Knight from the New Republic faction.
    They also need to make more maps to play on.
    Finally I would like to see more characters from the old republic and new republic. That would be really cool.

15. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Honestly, if I want to do miniature battles, I'd just play warhammer.

16. That_WookieWarrior

That_WookieWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2005
    SWM is the best.

17. Caleb14

Caleb14 Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    I also think the maps should be solid, e.g. ROTS map, and not like a folded up poster. I never really got Warhammer, but to each his own.

18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    THis may not be the appropriate place to post this, but I saw something last night that seriously honked me off.
    I was at ToysRUs trying to get a 5yo to pick something (quite a challenge I can tell you), when I spotted the Clonewars Booster packs. Someone had gone through all of them, opened them, and taken (I'm guessing) all of the rare and hard-to-find figures. THere must have been 40 or 50 boxes, all opened, all upside-down on the shelf. TRU might as well sell them to a comic store for $5 each.

It cheezes me off every time I see crap like that.

</soapbox before I get booted for profanity or just being boring>

19. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    I play the Minis game like HeroClix, Mordheim, and others, for the game, not as a bonus thing for the RPG.

20. Nur_Ab_Sal

Nur_Ab_Sal Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2004
    Miserable ersatz of SW RPG

21. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    huh?

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I think he means that the figures game is a poor substitute for the pen,paper,&dice RPG.

Deutsch ist spaB!/German is fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.