main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's the dumbest reason you've heard for someone hating AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by seasider, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MachinatingMachiavel

MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    This was posted on the first page, but I still want to comment on it:

it was in defense of the argument that the PT are boring...

"TPM and AOTC dont have to be a story we already know. they could have just as easily been about the origins of the jedi, or the sith, or how yoda came to be the most powerful jedi or a million other stories we have NOT heard yet"

I have to disagree on this. The focus of all the Star Wars movies is on Anakin. He's the reason for Star Wars, he's Joseph Campbell's archetypal hero (since Campbell mentored Lucas I think it's fair to bring him in on the argument). The OT illustrated Anakin's cycle from the dark side to the "light" side. Or if you will, his transformation from Vader into Anakin Skywalker. It only follows to have the PT illustrate the reverse of this: Anakin's transformation into Darth Vader. Thats what's so great about the Star Wars movies, they are two big rotations for Anakin's character. In ANH< when Vader said to Obi Wan, "The circle is now complete, when I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master" sure he means that he was a learner and now he's a master, but in the bigger context of the SW films it really addresses the first cycle of his character from light to dark. THAT circle is complete, and that circle is the PT. Lucas had to do the PTs the way he's doing them to illustrate the first rotation. If he started introducing stories we haven't heard before, then there wouldn't be room to cover the important first cycle of Anakin.

The origins of the Sith, and Yoda's rise to power are not important enough to hold their own in the bigger scheme of the star wars movies which are about Anakin. They're just little side bars that don't need to be elaborated on that much, because they are only elements of the Anakin story that function only to further the plot.

GL had no choice but to select the story he did for the PT. Otherwise there would be no unity in the films, and the focus of Star Wars would be completley shifted away from Anakin as the central hero. Star Wars would fall apart.

2. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    JK Burtola...

The same argument can be used for the ones who loved 'Clones (Gushers)

...So AOTC was awesome to you...Great. I'm glad it wasn't a waste of a movie for all of us. But it doesn't behoove you to keep repeating the same glowing review of this movie as the rest of the pro-'Clones partisans.

Look, its been almost a year since the release of EII...isn't this basher vs. gusher thing starting to wear a little thin?

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "Look, its been almost a year since the release of EII...isn't this basher vs. gusher thing starting to wear a little thin?"

It has been almost four years since TPM was released, and the basher vs. gusher thing is still going fairly strong over there. The best solution is for everyone to give their opinions, complete with explanations of why they feel how they do.

4. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2002
    I have one thing to say about the "bashers vs gushers" thing. I have nothing to say about the bashers, they didn't like the film/films and thats fine by me (although why they continue to hang around negativity all the time by talking about films they hate is beyond me). The gushers is something I completely relate to. I know the film ain't perfect, but I WOULDN'T kid myself into thinking a bad film was good. Some people have the attitude (not mentioning names) that some of us only like the prequels because they are STAR WARS. I don't understand that one bit. I'm not going to repeatedly watch something that I dislike.

Rant over. Going to watch AOTC (after I finish disortation :( )

5. MachinatingMachiavel

MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    I agree with you, Darth Fisto

oh, here's another dumb reason, and it was actually given by Michael Jackon's son: it was boring.

Wow, if the coruscant chase scene and the arena battle, and the clone battle is boring, then I don't know what's exciting.

6. Darth_Malt

Darth_Malt Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    The dumbest reason would be because it didn't feature a steamy sex scene or didn't have nudity.

....what can I say? There are many low lifes in this world.

7. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Every single one of them. I have yet to hear an intelligent reason for hating AOTC [face_plain]

8. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Dumbest reason?

Star Wars sucks!

Are you just saying that to annoy us?

Star Wars sucks!

9. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    Sorry to hear that, Duckman. You must have only had contact with the so-called "bashers". If you want some intelligent reasons why I didn't like 'Clones...PM me.

10. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    All of it.

If it's that bad, leave TFN and go get into some other genre.

Simple.

It's sad that people spend their lives going on about how much they hate every little thing about a movie, and then come to the movie's fan board and spends millions of hours trying to convince real fans to come around to their way of thinking.
    All I can think is, "Isn't there a LOTR fan board out there in cyber land somewhere? Why don't people have lives?" I love SW and it has always been a part of my life. It's not my story, but I am a fan of the story. Period. I might not love all of it, but lots of what I have a problem with is exactly what others love, and vice versa.
    I mean, I am a proud member of Buffs (Sean Bean's fan club), but I don't come here saying crap like 'Sean should have been cast as Oi-wan', and the like. That's because I can hold several different interests at once!

Isn't that :cool:?

11. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    At last some sanity in the post above.

You only have to read this thread to see some really dumb reasons for people not liking the movie. And how did the bashers manage to turn this into an "I hate Star Wars", fest, anyway?

And how come anyone who dares to like AOTC is branded a "gusher"? It's said in an insulting way as if anyone who likes the movie is doing it purley because it's Star Wars.

When are the haters going to learn that the people who love this movie are never going to be persuaded otherwise?

12. Master_Infamous

Master_Infamous Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    It's not like the OT!!!!!!
    Thats the dumbestreason I heard!!!!!!

13. Haydens_MineNotYours

Haydens_MineNotYours Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2002
    the dumbest reason i ever heard was a girl say "that dumb brown haired girl got to kiss that hot blond guy." this girl was like 16 and had probably only come to see the movie becaise of Hayden, not even knowing his character's name or caring of course.By the way, no i didn't just go to the movie to see Hayden, i didn't really like him until my third viewing.And i LIKE him... alot [face_love]

14. Zombie_Monkey

Zombie_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2003
    What's the dumbest reason you've heard for someone hating AOTC?

I haven't heard one negative comment about AOTC from anyone in the "real world".

It took going to Star Wars fan sites to see a negative reaction.

-ZM

15. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    PM me too Duckman!

16. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    Lol....Someone on a STAR WARS message board asking the question...

"Don't they have lives?"

Thats a good one.

Don't the people who didn't like 'Clones all that much (who incidentally have also given Lucas just as much money as those of you who did like 'Clones) have the same right to express their opinion of it?

Of course, the individuals who express their opinion and then personally attack those whose opinion differs are just asking for it.

But I speak of those, like me, who didn't like the movie but are glad at least some of you could find enjoyment in it. I make it no secret that to me, AOTC was pure trash. I'll give my reasons if anyone is curious.

But one thing I won't do is call someone stupid or crazy for liking it. I can only say how the movie was for me, not anyone else.

17. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    But one thing I won't do is call someone stupid or crazy for liking it. I can only say how the movie was for me, not anyone else.

I can definitely respect that.

If you like or even love a film, do so because you feel that way rather than because it's what others say. And vice versa.

18. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I've noticed that it's mostly males that dislike Anakin. I think the fact that such a goodlooking kid as Hayden playing Darth Vader has put them off. I think they want someone strong to play Vader because of his demeanor in the originals and they fail to see how he is meant to mirror Luke.

Besides most women like him while most men (my brother and father included) think he sucks. I chalk it up mostly to jealousy.

19. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Well, for me, I didn't like Hayden that much but it had nothing to do with jealousy.

I'm a heterosexual male but I have no problem with the idea that girls go ga-ga over male leads like Brad Pitt, Leo DiCaprio, or Russel Crowe. In fact, I admire their performances and respect them as actors.

James Dean, is considered one of the classic male "sex symbols" ever, and I have no problem in saying I thought he was a terrific actor and one of my favorites from that era.

For me, looks have nothing to do with it. It's substance that I'm looking for. (btw, wouldnt Harrison Ford be considered a "hunky guy", and Han Solo rules.)

20. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    In the interest of fairness... shouldn't this thread have been "What's the dumbest reason you've heard for someone HATING and LIKING AOTC?"

It's nice to know that people are OBJECTIVE here. [face_laugh]

That title is bait for another Bee-Gee argument... as if THAT wasn't expected. [face_mischief]

I've seen so many... it's hard to pick the dumbest... I'm sure a quick scan of the threads will yield some answers.

Scanning....
    Scanning....

Let's try...

Hating: The effects suck!

Liking: It's George's Vision!

Woopity-friggin doo!I'm sure others can come up with better ones that those, I'm sure of it.
    Just post what you normally would and I'm sure we'll get the most popular answers. ;)

21. yes

yes Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2001
    I still think the main reason people don't like AOTC is because of its competition.

People find Matrix cool. Everyone praises Lord of the Rings. When they see Star Wars, they want Star Wars to be like Matrix or LOTR. Heck, I even read a few posts here on board that people wish that AOTC would be more like Two Towers. Anakin is a Hobbit, Obi-Wan is Gandalf, etc.

It's kinda silly to say that AOTC's special effects suck. Those guys at Lucasarts put in a lot of effort in making this film, and they did a great job at bringing to life George Lucas's vision of Star Wars. CGI changes the way movies are made nowadays. Even the hour-long Helm's Deep with lots of people engaging in a Team Free-for-All battle used CGI. So if people don't like CGI in movies, then surely they wouldn't like Two Towers either. Or the fights in the Matrix.

Again, this sorts of point to some prejudice, any competition seems to be better than Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones.

22. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    Really, what are the only GOOD reasons NOT to like a film?

Direction
    Acting
    Script
    Story
    Editing
    Music

Any of those work for anyone here?

I can hate effects in a film, but if I can't stand the story or the characters, it doesn't matter...
    I thought the effects in the orignal Blade were cheap, WOW! CGI blood! Like I couldn't tell. 8-}
    I liked the action and I liked some of the story. The story point with his mother was lame and I didn't care for the lady sidekick, but...

Is Blade better than AOTC?
    NO.

I didn't go see Blade 2, and I still haven't seen it.

Another example... I just bought Predator 2 on DVD.

A film that was hated because...

Arnold Schwarzenegger wasn't in it.

Is that a reason to hate it?

That's like hating the PT because the OT actors (Harrision, Carrie, Mark) aren't in the PT!

The concept is that the Predators are drawn by heat and conflict... they don't track the same guy for 10 years!
    The story isn't about Dutch (Arnold's character fron Prdator), it's about the Predator and how another man deals with a similar threat in a different environment.

I watched it, it holds up, the characters are likeable, the acting isn't bad and it doesn't violate anything that happened in the first Predator film.
    Yeah, bits of it are dated and it seems a bit campy now, it's an action/monster movie that's 13 years old!
    Still the effects hold up, even on DVD, before the use of CGI.

The point being, you MAY HATE Predator 2... but I don't think Predator 2, as sequels go, was as flawed as AOTC was to me.
    It added new characters and new elements to the story... mind you, Predator 2 isn't a part of a series of 6 films.

I still want a Predator 3 or an Aliens VS Predator film.

Anyway back to the SW part of this...

I don't think AOTC deserves as much of the praise as it gets, there are good points to it and a lot of retreading of situations from the OT, although these situations are tailored to AOTC, it smacks of unoriginality.

As a sequel film in a series, I think Empire was better.
    I think Aliens was better, although AOTC is a different kind of film.

I'm not blind, I understand the story points and how they fit into the SW Saga, but I can be upset with the execution of it.

You can either respect that or think I'm outta my mind.
    I don't have to come here and bash or praise the film to death, it's been made, it's been in the theaters, it's on DVD.
    My comments won't change history.

Anyway, I'm sure I've been in a thread similar to this so in order to cut down on redundancy... I'm going to go elsewhere.

Enjoy...

23. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    I think some of you need to re-read the topic title again. It says "What's the dumbest reason you've heard for someone hating AOTC?" There are plenty of valid reasons to be disappointed by AOTC (poor editing in parts, some subpar dialogue, underdeveloped love story, etc.) but I have yet to hear a single valid reason for hating it, unless you're not a Star Wars fan at all. Hating it means that you find nothing of worth in the film, which means you're saying the performances of McGregor, Lee and McDiarmid are crap, the special effects are crap, the music is crap, the story is non-existent, the action is boring, etc. Do you honestly think any non-biased person would believe that? I don't.

24. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    Well, I don't HATE AOTC. It's not my favorite film, but I don't HATE it.

Now... maybe I'd go so far as to say I HATE Batman & Robin and Robocop 3!

I NEVER WANT TO SEE THEM AGAIN! :mad:

I don't think ANY of the SW movies are that BAD!
    Disappointing? Yes.
    BAD? Not really.

25. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    The first review on Amazon for AOTC is some guy claiming it's the worst movie ever. That is dumb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.