main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's your problem with feminists?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by womberty, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    I echo TeeBee's bravo, Jedi-Master_Mom. That's great.

And TeeBee, I know, on rare occasions where our puppy has to be left alone in our house for more than a few hours, we worry ourselves sick over her. She has all the food and water she needs, and is paper-trained, but still we just worry if something bad might happen, or if she worries she's been abandoned. The idea of dropping a kid off somewhere for the day is completely foreign to me.

And it's true how some people worry more about how well their car is taken care of than their kid.

Oh well. [face_plain]

2. dustchick

dustchick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2000
    If, as many of you have posted, you believe that one parent should remain home with the kids, why do you not castigate fathers who work as you do mothers who work?

3. Jedi_Master_Mom

Jedi_Master_Mom Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    I have no problem with a father staying home with the kids. If I made more money then my husband, I'd go back to work after my daughter was weaned. In fact our house would be a lot cleaner if he did. He's just better at that :)

4. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    It doesn't matter to me which stays home either, as long as they don't end up on the street over their decision. If the man makes more money and the woman is more inclined to be 'mommying' all day, then that's the situation it should be that's just the way it usually is.

The reverse can also be true and can also work, it's just not as common. Doesn't make it wrong.

5. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I fully expect to be able to support my family by myself, without my wife having to work. At the same time, I expect that my future wife (whoever she might be) be able to do the same.

Why? First of all, if anything should happen to me, my family would still be provided for. Having the skills to get a good job is vital, even if you never need to get a job. Second, it is better to have one parent at home with the children. Having both parents able to hold down a job allows flexibility to adapt to the different situations that might come up.

However, while I intend to be be the "breadwinner" of my family, I am also preparing myself so that I would be able to work mostly from home, allowing both parents to be with the children as much as possible. I remember when my father had to go off on submarines for months at a time, and how hard it was on our family. I want to be there with my kids as they grow up, as much as possible. I hope that my future wife feels the same way.

Kimball Kinnison

6. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    "If, as many of you have posted, you believe that one parent should remain home with the kids, why do you not castigate fathers who work as you do mothers who work? "

Dustchick, I don't know where you're getting the idea that anyone here is castigating women. It seems to me everyone here is more open-minded than that, so I don't know if you're misunderstanding or just being overly defensive.

7. dustchick

dustchick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2000
    Darth_Fierce: I would agree that nobody has directly castigated women in non-traditional gender roles, but let's look at some quotes from earlier in the thread:

The "liberation" of women via the feminist movement has created a missing social role in many families. I spent many a day in day care and after school programs and I can speak firsthand that I recieved little to no moral guidance and felt no sort of bond with any of my caregivers.

women may not be getting higher paying jobs because they in general do not want them.

Yeah, I want to be able to have the same opportunities as men even though I'm a woman, but that stuff has been accomplished!

In these three quotes, we demonstrate that there are societal issues with the concept of gender equality that we have clearly not remedied. Perhaps I am a tad bit more vocal because I do face gender bias on a frequent basis in my nontraditional role and do not want some of the young women and men on these boards to think that the playing field is completely even just yet.

(edited for formatting problems)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.