main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Where are all the good politicians?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by SuperWatto, Nov 4, 2011.

1. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Peter principle mostly. If I'm competent and honest, I'll stay out of politics. If there's anything I've learned, it's that a bit of John Schmitz- or Bob Dornan-style insanity helps you gain votes because you know what? The fact that you said it makes it true, in your constituency's minds.

2. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I don't think Bobby had any affairs, from what I have read about him he was very prudish and spent half of his time protecting his brother's image. Also I disagree about Bobby being the brains and ideas man out of the administration. JFK clearly was the intellectual, while Bobby was the attack dog. He did have more of a conscious then JFK, who ironically is ruthless and detached. But he really didn't have a want to change the country till after his brother's death. Take Civil Rights for example, Bobby in the early sixties simply wanted to enforce the law.....but after his brother's death he wanted to something about Civil Rights and even poverty for that matter to make the country better.

Nixon was one of the smartest man to ever occupy the White House and was very prudish, much like Bobby. But he was as unethically as the come and it is to bad.....he did a ton of good things as president but paranoia and corruption brought him down.

LBJ was a bully and a snake, but he was a damn good politician and deals maker. IMO, him and Ted Kennedy are the two greatest deal makers the senate has ever seen. Alot of his ideas were really JFK's policies, but he able to work the senate something Kennedy couldn't do.

3. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Was LBJ or Nixon a racist?

4. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Nixon was anti-semite, I am not so sure about LBJ.

5. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    I remember him sharing Jew jokes with Kissinger, Does Kissinger hate his own kind? Was he really an ati semite or he was just joking?

6. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    See also: All the black conservatives who were offended over accusations of Clarence Thomas' sexual harassment, but then the "Harold Ford sleeps with white women" ad didn't even show up on the radar.HTH

7. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    There is something you can do about the politicians in power, you know... But it does say something about the ones that get themselves into office. Bring on the next election down here, I say, the government is in for a shellacking.

And I agree with what's said above about Bobby Kennedy. My Dad calls the day he was shot the day America died.

8. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    I wonder if the Kennedy assasination would been such a big deal in the internet age withe all of his dirty laundry on the net.

9. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    People would have forgotten about that once he was shot, that happens all the time.

10. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Even if he had lived, I doubt anyone would really care. Bill Clinton is the most popular living ex President today, and we all know about his baggage.

11. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    It goes from "Michael Jackson had boys over at his house with an amusement park" to "Michael Jackson was a musical genius who was most likely murdered by his doctor and nothing else".

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    If we're allowed to give short answers: In the White House.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    FWIW, the accusations towards Jackson are about as solid as wet toilet paper; there's a thread around here where those claims got demolished. But yeah, being murdered tends to make people not care about most things you've done, unless you're just an outright monster.

14. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    I think the president taking coke and sleeping with his aides uploaded on youtube would had ended JFKs career asssuming there was youtube back then.

15. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    It costs a fortune to be elected, there is no upside to the job, and the problems you are expected to solve are unsolveable.

16. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    there is no upside to the job

Are you sure? Clinton makes milions just by making speeches, you can look anyone up without trial, travel all over the world for free, make friends with lobbyst and become a highly paid employee of a company after you did favors for them.

Need to say more?

17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    George W. Bush isn't making millions off speeches, and I doubt Carter or Bush the elder are either. You could theoretically lock up anyone you want, but once word gets out that you're sending people who clearly aren't terrorists to Guantanamo, you'll be impeached quick. Lobbyists and the revolving door, you can do that as a Congressman which is a much easier job to apply for.

18. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    Dont tell me Wall Street wont reward him for the bailout money. Bush the younger sucked so bad he had to go into hiding. Older Bush was selling arms for tha Carlyle Group after retirement. I have to look up what Carter does.

19. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    He's the most pro-Israel (according to Saudis) and anti-Israel (according to Israelis) politico out there. Which...means he's doing something right.

20. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    Which...means he's doing something right.

Why?

21. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Not all is lost, people. Not all is lost. This country today has proven that despite all party politic quarrels, it's still capable of nominating the right person as head of state.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/germany-government-opposition-parties-to-meet-in-search-for-new-president/2012/02/19/gIQA6OfZNR_story.html

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, you do. Because you aren't considering what these people could be doing instead of being politicians. Do you really think Mitt Romney will make more money off of post-Presidential speeches than he would have made by simply staying CEO of Bain Capital? That Obama, Editor in Chief of the Harvard Law Review, couldn't have landed a spot at a high-powered New York law firm and become far richer far quicker than the path he's currently on? There certainly wouldn't have been a decade kicking around in a state senate, or years scraping by on the salary of a "community organizer."

These people are enormously talented. At least as much as the most successful people in any other profession. For you to suggest that this somehow an easy or intelligent way to get rich is ludicrous. Almost every other path has equal or greater rewards, for far less time/effort invested, with a much greater chance of success.

23. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    It aint just about the money, its also about fame and power.
    o you really think Mitt Romney will make more money off of post-Presidential speeches than he would have made by simply staying CEO of Bain Capital?

No but Mitt has a big ego and being the pres sounds great.

hat Obama, Editor in Chief of the Harvard Law Review, couldn't have landed a spot at a high-powered New York law firm and become far richer far quicker than the path he's currently on?

He was never really uberich as for example Romney, so i have my doubts.

These people are enormously talented. At least as much as the most successful people in any other profession. For you to suggest that this somehow an easy or intelligent way to get rich is ludicrous. Almost every other path has equal or greater rewards, for far less time/effort invested, with a much greater chance of success.

there is no upside to the job

This is to what i gave an answer. nobobody said that people run for pres only to get rich.

24. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    It seems to me that we live in an era where good leaders are very hard to come by. Mabe the western world has become too corrupt politicly, and governments have become too powerful. There are certainly many qualified people out there to run for President, but of course what makes the world go round? Money. In order to be elected you need to have money and unfortunately we only get the candidates who can afford to run for office.

25. CQuigley

CQuigley Guest

I don't think politicians got worse, we just simply know more about them.

Frank T. and Darth-Ghost like this.